2017+ Fuel Management

mattv

Country flag
I haven't been able to find a piggyback ECU that addresses tuning closed loop. I see there are a couple mid-pipes with (presumably) no cat for the 2017.

How are people using these without being able to adjust the AFR?

Also, if anybody knows of any other workarounds for the closed loop lean surge, it'd be appreciated.

Thanks.

isaac_

I haven't been able to find a piggyback ECU that addresses tuning closed loop. I see there are a couple mid-pipes with (presumably) no cat for the 2017.

How are people using these without being able to adjust the AFR?

Also, if anybody knows of any other workarounds for the closed loop lean surge, it'd be appreciated.

Thanks.

I thought DynoJet just came out with a PCV for the 2017.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
You aren't entirely correct. Closed loop is lower RPM and smaller throttle openings. Chad put together a module (black box with a few wires) that does modify the closed loop section, at least if I'm remembering what that box did as part of the kit... it's been a LONG time since I messed with the maps on the test mule here and the mule fitted the 2nd PCv for the 390 while I was doing the initial exhaust development work so I'm trying to pull from deep archives of memory here... So at least on the initial (prior to RBW) PCv hardware release we did have a (albeit hard coded) closed loop adjustment. For Open Loop w/the upper RPMs and larger throttle openings is where Open Loop starts. I don't remember the EXACTS... I seem to remember it was in the 6-8k RPM range and below... 50% throttle, I think? Chad would have to jump in here to say definitively. For the biggest impact on closed loop, you want to flash your ECU to richen up the bottom end. The dealer can put the cup bike flash on the earlier bikes. I'm not sure what the RBW bikes do and if Chad put together a different module to richen up the lower end so the bike doesn't pop as much and runs cooler.

cameronc56

You can use the o2 optimizer that comes with the 15/16 PCV with the 17/18 PCV for full loop tuning, though chad isn't able to ship the o2 optimizer with the 17+'s due to carb regulations I believe. You may have to see if he can hook you up or you will have to buy the PCV for 15/16 and the 17+ to get the o2 optimizer.

PCV+o2 optimizer + yoshimura r77 (no cat/pre muffler) + k&n air filter + air filter mod is what I was running on my 17 (before it blew up). Check my build thread for more info

mattv

Country flag
Thanks, guys. Appreciate all the info.

Edit: googling shows that some people have used these sensors:
Bosch 17018
Bosch 17205

Anybody know more about that?

Last edited:

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
The O2 optimizer came with 15/16 pcv's. Dynojet can no longer supply them due to EPA, CARB, etc... NOT me. The first 32 17 on pcv's built by DJ came with them by mistake. I have sold all of mine that had them. It's the same O2 optimizer from 15/16. There are no available 17 on KTM maps since the only thing they offer is a slip on which has no bearing on tuning. Even the 15/16 akra maps were still closed loop and had the same area of closed loop as stock, until the 20133 map came along. It's only closed loop at/around idle. Closed loop on 15/16 and 17 on stock maps is 0-60% tps, up to 7500 rpm "basically".

mattv

Country flag
Thanks, Chad. Sounds like I need to hunt down a 2016 O2 optimizer, or maybe look more into the Bosch sensors.

ia02

Country flag
The O2 optimizer came with 15/16 pcv's. Dynojet can no longer supply them due to EPA, CARB, etc... NOT me. The first 32 17 on pcv's built by DJ came with them by mistake. I have sold all of mine that had them. It's the same O2 optimizer from 15/16. There are no available 17 on KTM maps since the only thing they offer is a slip on which has no bearing on tuning. Even the 15/16 akra maps were still closed loop and had the same area of closed loop as stock, until the 20133 map came along. It's only closed loop at/around idle. Closed loop on 15/16 and 17 on stock maps is 0-60% tps, up to 7500 rpm "basically".

Hey Chad, Is that 20133 map for the 15/16 bikes, or the 17+ bikes? Is there a similar map that offers less closed loop for the 17+ bikes?

ia02

Country flag
So anything you would recommend for those of us on 2017+ bikes? I’ve got a 2018. I ordered a PCV from you and installing it this weekend.

Definitely get the WB2 from hard racing. My bike isn’t even properly tuned yet and it already runs significantly better than it did without it. I think the PCV+WB2 would improve even a bone stock bike