2019, 2020? Any word on reliability fixes?

DMC04

Country flag
Hi, considering a new RC, but trying to understand if the reliability issues have been addressed with the newest models. I guess mainly the head gasket and lean-running issues. I'd like to think 5 years in now, maybe??? :)
I just can't seem to find anything on the 2019/20 models that says so for sure.
Thanks for any feedback.

Jon W

Site Supporter
Country flag
The head has been revised.
Lean running, apower commander will fix that.

ReidMcT

Premium Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Country flag
Rather than a new bike, you might also consider buying a used one that has been remedied.

Or, if you're a DIY sort, save a ton of money and have some fun by buying and fixing a broken one. I've already done and sold one, I'm awaiting a base gasket to finish up my personal track bike, and I'll be resurrecting my third Rc390 in late May.

DMC04

Country flag
Thx Jon and Reid for the replies. I'm pretty mechanically inclined, and rode/worked on bikes growing up. Its actually more of a matter of free time. Family, work, etc... I really just want a turn-key ride at this point. The "internet stories" lead you to believe it spends more time in the shop. But I know it's often the people with problems that b!tech the most. Thx again.

EricD

Country flag
Can anyone explain the head redesign? I'm considering a leftover 2018 rc. And I'm in the same boat. My Ural is the funist bike I have ever owned, but it's time for something that just works most of the time.

ReidMcT

Premium Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Country flag
Can anyone explain the head redesign? I'm considering a leftover 2018 rc. And I'm in the same boat. My Ural is the funist bike I have ever owned, but it's time for something that just works most of the time.
I've read - but do not know first-hand - that the new head has a bridge across the long water passage slot, which adds rigidity. I think the most significant improvement, however, would be tighter QC or tolerances on head flatness. Old style heads that are flat don't seem to have any trouble. That's been my experience so far.