2020 RC390 suspension troubles

matadorCE

Country flag
I did not check that. That's a cool feature.

OK, my dealer ordered Andreani internals based on my bike being a 2020, and the parts are wrong. So I believe the forks on my late 2020 bike are not the same as 2019 or possibly earlier 2020. I don't know if they are the same as an earlier type, or Duke, or something else entirely. My dealer is figuring it out. Hopefully.

This is not super duper cool.

Any updates on this, were you able to find out what the deal is with the forks and if there is a 2020 v1 vs V2, etc? Where you able to get the shock to fit? Even with a different airbox, that shouldn't have interfered with fitting the shock on the eyelet IMO. Fitting the reservoir is another story like I've already mentioned.

acruhl

Country flag
Ok, finally got the Andreani cartridges on the bike. I believe my forks are the non through rod ones which might be the same as the Duke? The box for the cartridges said 390 Duke on it. I think the damping is not ideal but I only rode it around the neighborhood. It might have air in it or something. More later.

And I'm using the KT801 rear shock which is also for the Duke. The reservoir goes up by the left passenger peg but I'm going to have to make a custom bracket. The bracket that comes with the Ohlins is for the Duke passenger pegs which are a lot different. Also the reservoir hose is not ideally positioned on the reservoir end but to position it correctly would let the gas out. That's for another time. The spring feels right, so does the damping.

Kind of a pain these late 2020 bikes.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Duke forks are different from the RC390 as of 2017. So Andreani cartridges for 2017 and up the Duke won't work on the RC. They use totally different forks. I have the problem all the time with guys riding dukes trying to order the springs for their bikes, and turns out they don't fit... which I say on the website, but people don't always read. {shrug} The 2020 bikes are the same as the earlier models. You are just trying to use duke parts. Gotta use RC bits.

acruhl

Country flag
The cartridges came in a box that said 390 Duke, and they are installed and functioning. I think it's entirely possible that KTM is putting Duke forks on the late 2020 bikes.

matadorCE

Country flag
That's really weird that they're thrown on the Duke forks this late in the game (specially with no warning or documentation) when supposedly the next gen is right around the corner.

the Animal

Country flag
Just my 2 cents...
The Canadian 2020 model forks have the same part number from 2017-2020. No bolt through. Also, since Oct (when I ordered the fork kit), Ohlins changed the description (FKS 507) to say it won't fit the non bolt through and not cover all the years...so none of the RCs here.

The Duke has the forks with the bolt through. We will be trying to install the Ohlins tomorrow into the Duke forks, and the Duke will have an upgrade to RC forks. Duke is 2015 so was a no go. Needing a newer Duke...

The rear shock is the next project.

The supplier pretty much said I was s.o.l. and to get new forks. He just lost a customer...

Last edited:

Superpacman13

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
This all seems out of wack to me. There have been no listed changed to my knowledge within KTM regarding forks and I checked the 2020 on the floor and it did not have a bolt at the bottom. The airbox is listed as a different part number but I cannot imagine what they would have changed *other* then the fact that the air tube appears to come separate for some reason. I have installed plenty of KT303s on all the years and never had a fitment problem, i would initially say that your shock was in upside down.

acruhl

Country flag
I didn't watch my friend try to install it so I can't say for sure. He said the airbox was in the way, which is why I suspect that the KT303 isn't compatible with the 2020 bike. But I need to check that again from Ohlins. Anyway, the Duke shock works, the reservoir goes in the more common location under the subframe but the bracket won't work. Mine is zip tied until I can get a bracket made.