690 Wheels on RC390

cameronc56

From the ninja 400 forums, user C Dolan:

The vibration issue and the more upright riding position would have

me favor the Kaw, especially if I was riding more than 100 miles nonstop.

Both handle well, but the KTM rear rim is way too narrow for its

150 rear tire. Slid the ass end a lot till I fitted a 690 rear wheel and

and 160 tire. Rim more than 1 inch wider.

Has anyone tried swapping the wheels? How easy was it and how did it affect the ride?

Superpacman13

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
690 wheels are lighter then the RC390 wheels. The 150 tire is the right fitment for a 4.5 inch wheel, no questions with no random "slide outs". There is absolutely no reason the RC needs to run a 5 inch wheel with 160 rubber, stop sniffing the spray paint.

Tom

Wait, so the 690 wheels are wider, lighter, and cheap? So do they actually fit?

Superpacman13

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Wait, so the 690 wheels are wider, lighter, and cheap? So do they actually fit?
Physically there is room to fit but its by no means a bolt in application. Custom spacers needed front and rear along with some way to adapt a brake rotor.

Tom

Spacers would probably be pretty easy, any machine shop or gunsmith with a lathe could make those in a matter of minutes.

The front rotor looks to be the same diameter as the ‘17 and up RC390, but the rear looks to be about 10mm wider. Not sure about mounting dimensions and offset from the hub though.

I think a mounting kit for the 690 wheels would be a pretty desirable option compared to shelling out $3k for a set of the BST or Marchensini.

-Side note, it looks like one of the other members of this forum found out that the rc8 front suspension is the same overall dimension as the rc390 and is lighter.

Suzuki

Seems like a PITA unless you get the Rc8 forks crazy cheap. Looks like I'll be riding on stock suspension for a bit

Highside Hero

Country flag
Physically yes, however it has a ton of other things that don't work in your favor, bearing sizes, brakes, springs, valving etc
I hate to revive a dead thread, but you seem to know many things I do not! From what I've read about the stock RC8R fork, it seems like they're specced just about right for fitment on a 2017 RC390 carrying a 235lb driver. If I used the corresponding Brembo caliper and custom bushings for the axle (or even an RC8 or 690 front wheel), it seems like it would be a pretty solid, fully adjustable suspension upgrade (plus better brakes!) for half the price of fork inserts for the 390.

I don't know if any of those assertions are *true* or not, but it seems like they are possible. I'd love your input on this.

Last edited: