Adapting Akrapovic to tail mount?

mmatusacebo

Hello to everyone,

As we all know, the Evo Akrapovic (PIC1) seen in the Cup and R editions (PIC2) is not available to the general public. At least for now.

ktm-rc-390r-2018.jpg rc-390-r-90de-riret.jpg

Because of this, I had an idea: What if I mount the open Akrapovic (PIC3) for the RC 390 2015 in the tail and bend/cut the line to the correct position to fit the original engine line? I'll be working with the RC 390 2018 EU. I have to get the 2015 line (PIC4) to fit that exhaust and then it would be interesting to see if it works. In the worst scenario, we can get the Akrpovic line only (PIC5) from KTM for 282 Euros.

X001.jpg linea.jpg descarga.jpg

Some concerns:

What is the metal used to make the Akrapovic line? I know a few places that makes custom lines, but I should know what is the metal used in the original part.

It is neccesary to get the line all the way around the engine and bellypan like Tyga's version? I think that it gets a lot of extra weight to the bike.

Can the engine suffer for such a short line? To fit the modified Akra line to the 2015 main line maybe we should cut some part of it.

Thoughts?

Lima6

I would say its not really worth the effort as there are plenty of available bolt on exhaust options that have the under-tail configuration.

If you want the cup bike configuration go with the Tyga WSS300 kit.

If you simply want an undertail exhaust, there are plenty of (probably much cheaper) alternatives to cutting up the akrapovic system.

mmatusacebo

I would say its not really worth the effort as there are plenty of available bolt on exhaust options that have the under-tail configuration.

If you want the cup bike configuration go with the Tyga WSS300 kit.

If you simply want an undertail exhaust, there are plenty of (probably much cheaper) alternatives to cutting up the akrapovic system.

Don´t worry about the budget. Our rider have an special discount in KTM Power Parts, so that Akra is the best option talking about money. The main concerns are in the end of the post. Thank you for the reply though!

Lima6

My understanding is that the WSS300 and tyga counter parts are routed around and underneath the engine to give the exhaust enough length, so yes for maximum performance the exhaust needs to go under the engine.

There are other threads with replies on the forum here that go into more detail than I can in regards to the WSS300 exhaust so have a search for those!