Another Problem to be Aware of - 2015 RC390

=maz=

Country flag
I was doing some work on the bike which involved stripping everything off.
I noticed something didn't look right with the left-hand seat-mount tab on the frame.
On closer inspection it had cracked through the small hole and along the weld-seam for the nut/thread...broken rather than cracked.

This prompted me to go and have a look at the other 2015 sitting in the shed...sure enough there is a crack through the exact same section.
I would suggest that the welder got things a little hot and they became brittle

64383779_2347497782205353_724367370004463616_n.jpg

64492007_2347499292205202_8072770776660443136_n.jpg

Last edited:

ReidMcT

Premium Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Country flag
Wow, those are virtually identical breaks. That is worrisome. I hope to read some practical ideas for ways to prevent this, or fix it when it happens. Something tells me that a glob of JB Weld may not be the answer.

=maz=

Country flag
Mine all did that as well. Remade and rewelded the tab on, and it was the left side.. Hmm

Yes...left side only on my bikes.
I cleaned the tab up and welded the tab back up to see it through to the next full strip down. Once there I will have the frame tested for alignment(straightness), correct any issues like this that show up and powder-coat the frame as I move the bike/project onto it's next role in my garage.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Yes...left side only on my bikes.
I cleaned the tab up and welded the tab back up to see it through to the next full strip down. Once there I will have the frame tested for alignment(straightness), correct any issues like this that show up and powder-coat the frame as I move the bike/project onto it's next role in my garage.

That's a 10 minute fix. Strip off the paint in the area with an abrasive wheel, zap it with the MIG, and rattlecan orange back over it. If you don't have a MIG, get one. Watch YouTube (Chucke2009 is a great place to start) on how to MIG weld, and practice until you are making REASONABLY passable welds on coupons / scrap material of the same thickness where you can bend the material back and forth and the weld holds. Then, fix the frame... or take it to somebody who knows what they are doing. This is REALLY not a big deal.