Any news on the new 2016 KTM RC390 from the EICMA show?

From What I understand or have heard through the grapevine
The 2016 KTM RC390 new will be a slipper clutch that’s already available in the Duke 390. The bike’s front disc brake too has become larger with 320mm diameter. Other new features include Ride-by-wire technology, a new aluminum exhaust and switchable ABS, adjustable front brake and reworked belly pan

As anyone else heard this?
now receives a slipper clutch that’s already available in the Duke 390. The bike’s front disc brake too has become larger with 320mm diameter. Other new features include Ride-by-wire technology, a new aluminium exhaust and switchable ABS, adjustable front brake and reworked belly pan
Thanks, Tim

Last edited:

ray

According to the following website:
2016 KTM RC 390 gets slipper clutch & aluminium exhaust | Shifting-Gears

Prominent changes:

Full size aluminium exhaust to meet Euro4 emission norms
Slipper clutch
Switchable ABS
New 320mm front disc brake
Ride-by-wire technology
Tip hull modified
Vapor recovery system for the fuel tank
Broader rear view mirror
Adjustable handlebar levers
Brake system now developed by Brembo

M_KTM-RC390-40-660x330.jpg

M_KTM-RC390-41.jpg
M_KTM-RC390-43.jpg

All are very smart and functional updates but surprising since it's hardly been an year. The new belly and exhaust means less scraping while leaning? The brakes are bigger and different..Im definitely getting that for mine!

tecknojoe

Country flag
Pictures still show Bybre brakes, not brembo. Perhaps they misunderstood that bybre is owned by brembo. If it ends up being brembo then I need to buy it

but I do see they switched to a wave rotor.

pho_bike_det.jpg

A1VW2NV

Country flag
Pictures still show Bybre brakes, not brembo. Perhaps they misunderstood that bybre is owned by brembo. If it ends up being brembo then I need to buy it

but I do see they switched to a wave rotor.

pho_bike_det.jpg
But that's not a wave rotor. lol

Superpacman13

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Ride by wire will help the fueling a lot! But it really makes things like a pcv a little more difficult. 2015 for racers, 16 for everybody else would be my guess.

Ryanthegreat1

I like the new floating front rotor. Might have to find me one of those. Looks like they just added a spacer to the caliper. Being cheap Indian junk should be a $45 upgrade. :p

What is a Tip Hull?

Not sure the mirrors are bigger in a productive way. They need more ability to adjust the vertical axis not to be fatter out at the tips.

Vapor recovery for the fuel tank was already in place? Maybe they changed the hose routing so the double sided tape no longer gets soft with heat and allows the hose to fall onto the exhaust and burn.

Not sure how throttle by wire is going to help fueling? Maybe with the new model year comes better fuel mapping. The lean surge at part throttle is incredibly annoying on my bike.

Diploman

The KTM website, updated this week, shows very few 2016 updates for either the Duke or RC. The only notable change is the PASC anti hopping (ie, slipper) clutch for the Duke, but surprisingly not for the RC. The impressive suite of updates to the RC, detailed in the Indian moto/auto press and displayed at EICMA, will most likely be rolled out only in the Indian market for 2016. This would be disappointing for those of us in other markets, but overall represents an intelligent bit of marketing strategy by KTM/Bajaj. This tactic will permit a year of on-the-road testing in a very demanding environment - India - and provide an opportunity to correct any deficiencies in the updates uncovered by real-world riding. Hopefully this will weed out unfit/unreliable/ineffective new components (such as the redesigned-for-2015 "heat deflector" fan, for example) before introducing them to other world markets. I expect the North American RC's will incorporate these updates for model year 2017, after they are vetted for a year . Perhaps by then there may be further updates to the Duke as well.

Last edited: