Are there Brembo Calipers available for the RC390?

airazen

Country flag
beside frando, i don't see much option for this bike...

unless you want to made an adapter and upgrade the front rotor to 320 mm (if yours is 15-16), well you can use 100 mm brembo's caliper...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is fando?
Mine is a 2017 will 100mm brembos fit?

beside frando, i don't see much option for this bike...

unless you want to made an adapter and upgrade the front rotor to 320 mm (if yours is 15-16), well you can use 100 mm brembo's caliper...

airazen

Country flag
What is fando?
Mine is a 2017 will 100mm brembos fit?

Frando is Taiwanese brand, they made good brake calipers and master cylinder...

8aa6a244589047653b3e4bb425750153.jpg

And for brembo, it will not fit directly, it will require an adapter, since the RC can only mount an 80 mm pitch sized radial calipers...

744224a47d5b03caa6d3152bb6b5e165.jpg

ReidMcT

Premium Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Country flag
I also wold question whether a caliper 'upgrade' is needed. Like CDN Duke, I found that pads made a huge difference. I went with EBC HH pads. It took all of 3 minutes to install them.
https://www.revzilla.com/ebc-fa606hh-double-h-sintered-front-brake-pads

If you want to upgrade the brake fluid (if you use the brakes heavily and are having trouble with heat) you should consider Motul 660, which has very high wet and dry boiling points. I have some on hand, but haven't made the switch.

Just changing the pads made a surprisingly large improvement in braking. Really, really big. I've since gone to the expense of fitting a Galfer full-floating 320mm rotor, and it made only a minor difference.

So I'd say change the pads first, and then consider whether you might be able to declare an easy (and inexpensive) victory.

CDN Duke

Country flag
what pads and fluids do you recommend?
I'm running Galfer HH and Motul 5.1

EBC HH are also well reputed but I haven't tried them personally.

I also have the 320mm KTM PowerParts / Galfer front rotor.

The reason I highlight the fluid is my rear brakes never functioned well from new. . I had put in new pads and there was hardly any difference, so decided to do the fluid as well. Turns out factory fluidv was cloudy etc

Sacape2

What pads and fluid are you running now? Those alone make a huge difference.

I second this. I run EBC HH sintered pads front and rear with Bel-Ray Super DOT 4 fluid on my bike. It was a phenomenal difference and I didn't feel any brake fading on the track. Definitely change your fluid and pads. Brembo brakes are nice but outside of motorsports, they've grown to become more of a bling factor, never to be used outside of stop and go traffic.

There are 2 problems with the bybre caliper.
First you can't get a rebuild kit for them.
2nd in my opinion they weren't made very well.
In the caliper i have the pistons rock a bit and get stuck.
I pulled my caliper last week to clean them, and one pad was worn half way through the other side was hardly worn at all.

Yes I could buy a new caliper for $270, but mine don't have a lot of miles on them, and there's no guarantee a new one would be any better.
So, if it were possible I'd like to get something that at least worked as expected.

I also wold question whether a caliper 'upgrade' is needed. Like CDN Duke, I found that pads made a huge difference. I went with EBC HH pads. It took all of 3 minutes to install them.
https://www.revzilla.com/ebc-fa606hh-double-h-sintered-front-brake-pads

If you want to upgrade the brake fluid (if you use the brakes heavily and are having trouble with heat) you should consider Motul 660, which has very high wet and dry boiling points. I have some on hand, but haven't made the switch.

Just changing the pads made a surprisingly large improvement in braking. Really, really big. I've since gone to the expense of fitting a Galfer full-floating 320mm rotor, and it made only a minor difference.

So I'd say change the pads first, and then consider whether you might be able to declare an easy (and inexpensive) victory.

CDN Duke

Country flag
There are 2 problems with the bybre caliper.
First you can't get a rebuild kit for them.
2nd in my opinion they weren't made very well.
In the caliper i have the pistons rock a bit and get stuck.
I pulled my caliper last week to clean them, and one pad was worn half way through the other side was hardly worn at all.

Yes I could buy a new caliper for $270, but mine don't have a lot of miles on them, and there's no guarantee a new one would be any better.
So, if it were possible I'd like to get something that at least worked as expected.

If you have a 2017 from late 2017, your bike should still be under warranty? See if you can get this corrected under warranty?

Possibly, I don't know if the brakes would be covered.
Plus the bike is strictly a race/track bike and has been modified, so who knows.
But, even if it was covered under warranty, all the problems remain, no rebuild kit and it's still a poorly manufactured item.
It's not that the brakes don't work, I race the bike and haven't wrecked due to braking, but I think they should be better, and as someone who races, even as just a club racer I'd at least replace the seals once a season, and I can't due that.
In my opinion this basic maintenance is important, I flush the fluid after every race weekend, but rebuild isn't an option, I'd like the option.

If you have a 2017 from late 2017, your bike should still be under warranty? See if you can get this corrected under warranty?

Thanks CDN that's the first time I've seen that rebuild kit.
As far as modifing the brakes, the only thing I've changed is the lines.
I just meant the bike in general has been modified, and is probably enough of an excuse for them not to warranty anything.

I'd investigate warranty.

What exactly did you modify on the brakes? If only fluid and pads, nothing to invalidate warranty.

If you've got a bad caliper, at least see if you can get a new one under warranty to use as a base for future rebuilds.

Checking online, I came across this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/KTM-Duke-3...-rebuild-kit-2017-2018-BYBRE-set/163207104570

ReidMcT

Premium Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Country flag
A new caliper is about $190 from partsfish.com.
$164 from cheapcycleparts.com.

Last edited: