Athena stand alone ECU????

fs1ephil

Hi, we have a supplier for this Athena GET ECU here in the UK
You can purchase hardware to tune this ecu on the fly with your mobile device.
It comes with a two map mode switch for a wet setting and dry setting.
looks like it comes mapped for a full exhaust system and the Athena race air filter
and looking at the dyno figures should produce quite a healthy increase in power.
I believe you can also fit a quick shifter that will plug directly into this ecu. The italian cup bikes
use this ecu. Just realised you put a link for this info already there are some youtube vids
showing how easy it is the increase rev limit etc. Looks pretty cool

As for being a stand alone unit, I would say its a piggy back ecu. (Was wrong its stand alone)
If you look at the fitting instructons it says to dissconnect the battery so that no malfunction codes and no damage is caused to the oem ecu and theres a new loom to be fitted. I have emailed Athena to ask because its not clear either way.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 501
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 343
Last edited:

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
That's going to be a piggy back unit. If you are considering getting one, I don't understand why folks just don't buy the PCv. We've got a forum supporter (Chad) who's devoted a SIGNIFICANT amount of time developing the tune for our bikes with the PCv, and was in fact the guy who Power Commander went to to DEVELOP the PCv for the bike. He is THE guy to go to for this sort of thing. The PCv has a quick shifter, and does everything you'd want.

Talk to Chad. Get a PCv. Install one of his maps based on your bike setup. Smile. Ride. Done.

A1VW2NV

Country flag
That's going to be a piggy back unit. If you are considering getting one, I don't understand why folks just don't buy the PCv. We've got a forum supporter (Chad) who's devoted a SIGNIFICANT amount of time developing the tune for our bikes with the PCv, and was in fact the guy who Power Commander went to to DEVELOP the PCv for the bike. He is THE guy to go to for this sort of thing. The PCv has a quick shifter, and does everything you'd want.

Talk to Chad. Get a PCv. Install one of his maps based on your bike setup. Smile. Ride. Done.

First, let me say this; I appreciate all the hard work that Chad has put in to the PCV for our application. I have also picked his brain on a couple occasions. Each time he was super friendly, as well as helpful.
Now,some of us like to think outside of the box. Do our homework, so that hard earned $$ is well spent and we can feel good about it. For reference look to the guys that have bought tuner xxx, only to be dissatisfied and ultimately end up buying something else. I like to explore my options. What is good for YOU, may not be good for me.
I have noticed a bit of close-mindedness when it comes to vendors that sell similar or the same products as you. You blatantly chastised another vendor here when they came in and offered the PCV. And at $100 less than your favored vendor! While I understand that person is getting a top notch product from a reputable seller who has done the legwork, there is more than one way to skin a cat.
You also need to consider that our bikes are still in an infancy stage and that there WILL be more options to come.
So please don't be so quick to blast those of us that aren't rushing out to buy the first best thing to come along. ;)

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
I'm sorry if my prior post on the PCv was perceived as close minded, or chastising. Coming from an engineering background I do tend to be blunt, and sometimes others perceive that as rude. I try hard not to critique other people, belittle, put down, etc. I will be highly critical of IDEAS, but at least in my mind, there is a distinction between the theory, and the person.

I believe what you are referring to is the previous discussion on Autotune. From a ENGINEERING standpoint, that's not the direction to go. That's not an opinion, that's hard science data. Autotune won't, CAN'T, produce the same results as "real" tuning where both advance and mix are being adjusted in relation to rpm and throttle position. Auto tune is adjusting mix, ONLY, and while yes it's doing better than without it, the advance part is missing and thus THERE is the missing power.

In my mind at least, that's not criticizing a vendor, or a person. That's numbers and engineering though process. That's dyno runs and comparative analysis.

If I'm proven wrong, I'll also eat my words, change my position, and publicly admit I was wrong. That's also the way it works for engineering and science.

I've seen tunes done with Autotune, and the careful building of map tunes over time and hundreds of dunno pulls.

I don't sell the PCv. That's not my area of expertise or business model. I recognize how my comments on the subject can be perceived as critical of any others tho.

I also worked in testing. I would have one theory after another after another put forward, and proven wrong. It tends to help one build that internal firewall between criticism of an idea, vs the person who had the idea, because experimentation and testing is the science of "what if" and then test it... So I COMPLETELY agree on the "more than one way to skin a cat" thinking! Really!

If my previous posts on the subject offended, I'm sorry. That was NEVER my intent. I was just trying to share facts and discuss the subject, albeit with my strong pointed style it's not the first time I was informed I was "blasting someone" and for that I can only try to apologize.

Ultimately the facts come down to the hard science and numbers. The show me your numbers / dyno print.

Currently, the science says that best way to tune, is with a module which allows adjustment via a table with mix, advance, throttle positron, and rpm. As far as I have ever seen, Autotune has never produced better numbers on the dyno vs the hard work of hundreds of pulls building that tune table. If someone can show otherwise however, I have an excellent recipe for crow! ;) If someone wishes to go another way, that's TOTALLY fine. It's just not going to produce as much power. When you are dealing with a low HP machine like the RC390, that can result in a BIG difference. When you are comparing a fire breathing Dragon of a gixxer 1000 an output of 187 vs 174 HP might not be something one can even take advantage of if you aren't a world class racer, but the difference between 44 and 42 HP is Very real and VERY important when running a small bore single.

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
This is not a stand alone unit, it is a piggy back. Also I have tried the GET stuff on 250 ama sx bikes, less than impressed compared to Vertex product. The instructions show/say noting about the lambda sensor, so just guessing here closed loop area is still active and no control at all of said area. "I" think it is less than desirable product. IMO. Is the PCV the best immediate solution, yes. Is it the best long term, hope not. Still working on being able to read and write these ecus....

fs1ephil

Received and email from Athena the other day to confirm the original Ecu is not used.
He said, The new loom is plug and play and will connect directly to all sensor's, the original Ecu is then redundant.
I will be looking at purchasing this GET ecu. I like the idea that it give you some room for tuning but not enough so that you can damage things and being able to purchase the quick shifter that plugs directly into the loom is pretty cool.
If its good enough that the italian Rc cup bikes use it then its good enough for me.

email below.
Nicoli AlbertoShow details
Good morning Phil,

thank you for your reply.

The ECU is indeed plug and play thanks to the cable loom.

It is studied for easy plug: all the plugs are easily recognizable.
When you are done, the bike works with no additional modifications.

The original ECU will not stay on. It will be replaced by ours.

I stay at your disposal for any additional questions.

Best regards,

Alberto Nicoli
Sales Department
[email protected]
www.athenaparts.com
www.getdata.it

Athena S.p.a - tel.: +39 0444 727272 - fax: +39 0444 727222 - www.athena.eu

Last edited:

streetfighter

Received and email from Athena the other day to confirm the original Ecu is not used.
He said, The new loom is plug and play and will connect directly to all sensor's, the original Ecu is then redundant.
I will be looking at purchasing this GET ecu. I like the idea that it give you some room for tuning but not enough so that you can damage things and being able to purchase the quick shifter that plugs directly into the loom is pretty cool.
If its good enough that the italian Rc cup bikes use it then its good enough for me.

email below.
Nicoli AlbertoShow details
Good morning Phil,

thank you for your reply.

The ECU is indeed plug and play thanks to the cable loom.

It is studied for easy plug: all the plugs are easily recognizable.
When you are done, the bike works with no additional modifications.

The original ECU will not stay on. It will be replaced by ours.

I stay at your disposal for any additional questions.

Best regards,

Alberto Nicoli
Sales Department
[email protected]
www.athenaparts.com
www.getdata.it

Athena S.p.a - tel.: +39 0444 727272 - fax: +39 0444 727222 - www.athena.eu

Does the Athena GET ECU work directly with the stock loom or the new loom has a different connector to the GET ECU?

Lima6

The Athena ECU works directly with the stock loom, plug & play relatively easy to do judging by the manual. It is an independent ECU that completely replaces the stock unit.

Jerchiz

Country flag
Anybody here have or used one on there RC390?. How is it long term / Any problems?.
A friend of a friend of mine has one he's willing to sell me for 350. PCV costs 1,000 where I am.
Not really wanting to spend to much on this bike as I have 3 other motorcycles that I ride much more.
Thanks.