BENT SHIFT SHAFT

livefast_84

Country flag
Hi all,

so like the title says... bought a 2016 for a price I could not pass up. After close inspection, found the shift shaft is bent and causing an oil leak. looking to get the shift shaft support from grayareaktm. Also, I will be replacing the shift shaft and seal with oem parts. In addition, planning on installing a pro shift kit cause why not. Any special tools needed? I have the 2016 Duke 390 repair manual, I figure is the same... By the way new member here!

1JZSupra

Country flag
I haven't replaced the shift shaft, but I did have to replace that seal. I have also installed the shift shaft support and made a quick video on it.

livefast_84

Country flag
I haven't replaced the shift shaft, but I did have to replace that seal. I have also installed the shift shaft support and made a quick video on it.

Thank you Sir!
I did find your video while doing some research. As far as replacing the shift shaft, job does not seem difficult. I was trying to find a video or tutorial, but no luck yet.

1JZSupra

Country flag
Thank you Sir!
I did find your video while doing some research. As far as replacing the shift shaft, job does not seem difficult. I was trying to find a video or tutorial, but no luck yet.

Honestly, I haven't looked into it just yet. Let me look at a diagram.

1JZSupra

Country flag
The shaft goes completely from one side of the engine to the other. Go to this video and watch at the 35 min mark and you can see him install it from the clutch side.

The hardest part that I see out of all of this is removing that shaft without it binding on its way through the engine case.

livefast_84

Country flag
The shaft goes completely from one side of the engine to the other. Go to this video and watch at the 35 min mark and you can see him install it from the clutch side.

The hardest part that I see out of all of this is removing that shaft without it binding on its way through the engine case.
Thank you for the video.

I've read somewhere that people cut the expose part of the shaft off to stop it from binding.

Andy

Country flag
Shift shaft is an easy job. Hardest part was getting clutch basket off. Once done though the shaft slides straight out. On mine it was the prongs that had worn and didn’t allow changing up.

Replaced with a new shaft, I also added the factory pro detent arm and the gray area shift shaft support. Now with my quick shifter everything is good!

obviously remember to lock and torque down your clutch after refitting.

livefast_84

Country flag
Shift shaft is an easy job. Hardest part was getting clutch basket off. Once done though the shaft slides straight out. On mine it was the prongs that had worn and didn’t allow changing up.

Replaced with a new shaft, I also added the factory pro detent arm and the gray area shift shaft support. Now with my quick shifter everything is good!

obviously remember to lock and torque down your clutch after refitting.
Still waiting on the shaft since it's on back order. Thanks for the input!

Precis

Country flag
What were the symptoms which prompted this work?
I have a new-to-me RC390 and it's stuck in gear - though the lever moves normally and the neutral light stays on.
Sound familiar?

livefast_84

Country flag
What were the symptoms which prompted this work?
I have a new-to-me RC390 and it's stuck in gear - though the lever moves normally and the neutral light stays on.
Sound familiar?
That seems to be a way different problem than I'm having. Try posting a new thread

livefast_84

Country flag
Update...

So finally removed the bent shaft. Had to cut it off since it was binding. Now all I need is the seal for the shaft since for some reason I received the wrong part from KTM. SMH