cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
A couple pieces of information that covers several areas. First for all of those who have asked the new high mount Ti akra system on the SSP300 is not and will not be offered as a KTM powerparts exhaust system, in the near future. There is limited quantity for the SSP kits being sold and only customers that have purchased the kit can purchase them as spares. For now that is, it might become available sometime. They will have to develop a map for it too. The only map for it is the one in the SSP kit ecu for racetrack only. Secondly the cylinder head has been redesigned in the coolant passage and bridge over exhaust port, to prevent gasket failure. I just checked the parts fiche to verify and was told they did not change the P/N. The P/N on the '18 rc390r fiche is the same as first generation. They were supposed to start installing them in production. I do not know and doubt any are available here yet. The new ''revised" head will fit/interchange to first gen engines/cylinders. There should be an obvious visual difference in them to determine it. I will keep you informed as I know or when I see one.

=maz=

Country flag
Secondly the cylinder head has been redesigned in the coolant passage and bridge over exhaust port, to prevent gasket failure. I just checked the parts fiche to verify and was told they did not change the P/N. The P/N on the '18 rc390r fiche is the same as first generation. They were supposed to start installing them in production. I do not know and doubt any are available here yet. The new ''revised" head will fit/interchange to first gen engines/cylinders. There should be an obvious visual difference in them to determine it. I will keep you informed as I know or when I see one.

Thanks Chad...that is a great piece of news.

Thanks Chad
Info on the changes to the head would be great as hopefully the coolant passage on existing heads can be modified to replicate the new design to make them more reliable.

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Thanks Chad
Info on the changes to the head would be great as hopefully the coolant passage on existing heads can be modified to replicate the new design to make them more reliable.

The old head cant be modified to the new design. The casting and structure is different, I wish we could or I would have found a fix already.

Superpacman13

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Sure enough! I didn't even notice it when I tore this motor down. The production 2017 has a host of upgrades that KTM is keeping very hush hush, Ill have to disect these more carefully in the future!
IMG_20180224_083848977.jpg

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
I just checked the parts fiche to verify and was told they did not change the P/N. The P/N on the '18 rc390r fiche is the same as first generation. They were supposed to start installing them in production. I do not know and doubt any are available here yet. The new ''revised" head will fit/interchange to first gen engines/cylinders.

Typical. Try and slide it in silently so there isn't anything which can be used as a line in the sand for when bikes got the fix or not. Plus, makes it harder for the community to demand a recall. This way some folks can be left holding the bag if they don't have a dealer who will fight for them with the factory to get a failure covered under (extended) warranty.

D

Deleted member 452

Great info Chad!!!
I recently talked to KTM reps at a tradeshow in Canada (bike shows haven't come to Seattle in 3 years) about my engine issues and all they said is they don't like the 390s. I asked why the hell did they have one on display, conduct huge press events, and sell them and 3 out of 4 of the reps walked away from me?!?

Sure enough! I didn't even notice it when I tore this motor down. The production 2017 has a host of upgrades that KTM is keeping very hush hush, Ill have to disect these more carefully in the future!
View attachment 4575
Is that the new head design with the bridge in the middle of the water gallery?
It nearly looks like epoxy metal which makes you wonder if the old heads could be modified with epoxy metal.
As Ive never had the head off mine (touch wood!) I dont know what Im looking at personally, so correct me if Im wrong, but Im guessing thats the point where the gasket normally blows and the bridge has been added to give more gasket support in that area. Is there an updated head gasket that has the bridge as well?

motoputz

Country flag
That is in the casting and probably extends to the opposite wall of the water jacket. it is a different color because it sits bellow the plane of the head that is machined. The tool that cuts the casting flat never touches that new section. Not sure how that protects the head gasket; unles their was head distortion in that area. Adding material to the head would improve heat transfer to the water.

If they did not change the head part number to a new one that means they want to use up all of the old heads. They might have scraped the old heads under revision control. Not changing the part number is easier if the head is backwards compatible. None of the supporting documentation has to be change, reprinted and distributed. There is the risk that an old style head did not get purged from inventory and might show up as a replacement. If an older bike warps a head a new one from KTM would probably be the new design.

Last edited:

picto

Country flag
A couple pieces of information that covers several areas. First for all of those who have asked the new high mount Ti akra system on the SSP300 is not and will not be offered as a KTM powerparts exhaust system, in the near future. There is limited quantity for the SSP kits being sold and only customers that have purchased the kit can purchase them as spares. For now that is, it might become available sometime. They will have to develop a map for it too. The only map for it is the one in the SSP kit ecu for racetrack only. Secondly the cylinder head has been redesigned in the coolant passage and bridge over exhaust port, to prevent gasket failure. I just checked the parts fiche to verify and was told they did not change the P/N. The P/N on the '18 rc390r fiche is the same as first generation. They were supposed to start installing them in production. I do not know and doubt any are available here yet. The new ''revised" head will fit/interchange to first gen engines/cylinders. There should be an obvious visual difference in them to determine it. I will keep you informed as I know or when I see one.

Some additional notes

All new bikes from 23rd May 2017 have the new head and cylinder. Duke and RC plus HSQ401

One thing that should be notes for the racers out there is the duct from the airbox to the throttle body is much shorter on the rc390r.
1601572909782.png

i think is goes from about 160mm length to 90mm, this should add some much need top end, at the cost of some mid range.