Cam Chain Tensioner Fail

ReidMcT

Premium Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Country flag
I removed my engine for some work including checking head flatness, installing titanium valve spring retainers, and possibly splitting the cases to renew sealant on coolant channels.

My first discovery was that my cam chain tensioner had completely failed. The spring had broken and the cap that pushes on the chain guide was dislocated.

In the attached photo, you can see the excessive slack in the chain. Who knows how long it was running like this. It is a track bike, so it runs hard. I vaguely recall noticing a change in off-throttle behavior; I guess that may have been due to valve timing changes. Fortunately, the chain did not jump a tooth - valve timing is still correct. I don't expect to find any evidence of valve-piston collision when I pull the head off... fingers crossed.

I've ordered a manual tensioner. While I've read here about the stock tensioner not working well, I do not recall reading of any failures such as mine. Having now disassembled and examined the tensioner's parts, I can see that the spring is made of poor quality metal that broke from fatigue.

I think this may be something for others to consider fixing before it breaks; not everyone may be as lucky as I was not to have any damage.

Oh, and I am very glad that I bought the KTM engine removal jig (pictured). It made the removal super smooth, and it also enables me to mount the engine in a vise while I work on it. (The vise has a turntable base.)

Attachments

• Engine in vise.JPG
    Engine in vise.JPG
    360.9 KB · Views: 88
  • Engine remove.JPG
    Engine remove.JPG
    391.9 KB · Views: 88

Berto585

Country flag
This is the what just happened to me. Last season my cam chain broke and caused all sorts of damage. I bought a refreshed replacement motor and ran into the same issue you are describing. I only ran 2 practices and a race and started hearing noises. Opened it up and saw the broken pieces.

ReidMcT

Premium Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Country flag

The service manual shows a single floor jack under this part, but I use two scissor jacks to give me more control as I carefully lower or raise the engine. This method is particularly helpful for getting the mounting holes to align perfectly when reinstalling the engine.

And, it's also a far cheaper (albeit less versatile) alternative to the KTM engine holding stand and attachments, while working on the engine.

$_3.JPG

Engine in vise small.jpg

Superslow33

Country flag
I started having a rattling noise coming from my motor after a track day and I found the same, the little cup had fallen down in the motor and after pulling the clutch side cover off I found the bolt for the timing guide had backed all the way out and we laying in the bottom of the cases and wallered Out the threads in the case.

Just another something I'd check if anyone is in there, pull the bolt out and put some thread locker on it.

Manu

Country flag
May be the valve timing is missed & there is a valve-piston collision in my bike the cam chain tensioner has completely failed. What should I do can anyone help me

Last edited: