Canister removal question

CuriousCat

Country flag
There's two lines that comes out of a the fuel tank.

1. One that shares a Y-connection with the coolant overflow.
2. One that goes into the charcoal canister that also has a Y-connection.

Can I plug the 2nd line directly under the tank? I assuming the overflow/vent is the one shared is #1.

Also, why is there a Y-connection for the charcoal canister? As the line comes from the tank, one goes to the throttle body, and the other one goes down but
this line is plugged at the end. Seems pointless. Please explain if y'all know.

Thanks for the help!

CuriousCat

Country flag

ReidMcT

Premium Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Country flag
Okay, my two questions in reference with your helpful diagram:

1. #11 attaches to the bottom tank. Should I also plug this location?

2. Why is the location of #20 plugged?

1. No. If you were removing the canister you would plug #15.
2. To prevent fumes from venting to the atmosphere, but to allow draining the line if it becomes necessary.

And if you choose to plug #7, then you should unplug #20.

HTH

ReidMcT

Premium Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Country flag
I think that is a little like asking if you can remove your home's indoor plumbing since you already have gutters outside on the eaves. The hoses do different jobs.

CuriousCat

Country flag
I have since become more knowledgable about this stuff so happy to help.

You have 2 lines coming from the tank. One is the tank vent and one is the tank overflow. For the tank vent you can just vent to atmosphere, and the tank overflow I combined with the coolant overflow for a single line to the ground. For the charcoal canister, you need to leave the solenoid or get a delete plug to avoid a code. Also you should plug the nipple on the throttle body with a vacuum cap.

Fawxa67

Country flag
I have since become more knowledgable about this stuff so happy to help.

You have 2 lines coming from the tank. One is the tank vent and one is the tank overflow. For the tank vent you can just vent to atmosphere, and the tank overflow I combined with the coolant overflow for a single line to the ground. For the charcoal canister, you need to leave the solenoid or get a delete plug to avoid a code. Also you should plug the nipple on the throttle body with a vacuum cap.
I've got a delete kit from Rottweiler on the way 👍

KTMLaos

Country flag
I've installed a RW delete kit on my D390 and at first the warning LED came on (directly after installation) and now my complete dash doesn't show anymore.
Did some reading on this subject and found others having issues with the RW dongle yet no one else had their complete dash stopping.
Some solved the issue by reinstalling the valve but I am now over 2,000 km away from the valve and will not ride back for it.
Need to monitor the fuel manually and no speed indicator. Not ideal.

I've got a delete kit from Rottweiler on the way 👍

B7ACKTHORN

Country flag
There's two lines that comes out of a the fuel tank.

1. One that shares a Y-connection with the coolant overflow.
2. One that goes into the charcoal canister that also has a Y-connection.

Can I plug the 2nd line directly under the tank? I assuming the overflow/vent is the one shared is #1.

Also, why is there a Y-connection for the charcoal canister? As the line comes from the tank, one goes to the throttle body, and the other one goes down but
this line is plugged at the end. Seems pointless. Please explain if y'all know.

Thanks for the help!

Curious cat has summed it up perfectly. Quoting his answer.

Sometimes -- just sometimes, the overflow from the fuel tank can bypass itself to the coolant reservoir, eventually making the coolant crap. Has happened here, due to blocked Y linkage.

Cheers!