Change your oil--EARLY

silverstarnc

screens are easily reusable, Never heard of anyone just throwing them away. All never KTM race bikes(off road) use the same filters, we have always just cleaned them with contact cleaner and reinstalled. The teams do the same thing, they also just use Rotella oil and change it almost ever time the bike is started lol

Treachery

Country flag
Two screens, two drain plugs, one pleated paper filter. You can buy the pleated filter by itself, or you can buy the service kit with the filter, both screens (the smaller is attached to the plug), a new drain plug with O-ring, and an O-ring for the oil filter cover. It's the filter as a separate item that seems to be scarce.

Ryanthegreat1

My local dealer also had no filters in inventory. Looks like no RC390 until Friday. Leave it to KTM to not standardize on a filter. Also no Motorex 15w50 at the local dealer. Went for the 10w50 they had in stock. Probably no big deal, not like it gets hot here in the PNW.

Valves can be adjusted in frame, not too bad really. 3 hours farting around taking my sweet time.

Seth

Country flag
My local dealer also had no filters in inventory. Looks like no RC390 until Friday. Leave it to KTM to not standardize on a filter. Also no Motorex 15w50 at the local dealer. Went for the 10w50 they had in stock. Probably no big deal, not like it gets hot here in the PNW.

Valves can be adjusted in frame, not too bad really. 3 hours farting around taking my sweet time.

Is Motorex 15w50 the break in oil that is originally put in our 390s?

Fasteddy

Country flag

Did you need shims? or were you able to swap positions? just curious...

Ryanthegreat1

Yeah I ended up needing 3 new shims and one original was moved to a new location. I bought the HotCams 10mm shim kit. Quality appears to be good and they fit. The HotCams shims look a lot better than the shims that came in the bike. :-\

dobr

Speaking of shims, what sizes are you seeing in the RC's? I would like to know so that I can preorder a kit. I don't have another bike that is 10mm.

Ryanthegreat1

I had 2.47, 2.57, 2.60 and 2.65mm. Right in the middle of the HotCams kit. Just wish the HotCams kit were in 0.025mm increments rather than 0.05mm.

Muckabucka

Country flag
Changed my oil again after a number of dyno pulls. Until reading this post, I did not realize there was the lower drain/screen at the bottom of the crank. When I went to remove this plug, it was finger tight at best.
At least there was not very much metallic material in the screens this time I feel comfortable to let er rip.
Everything on the bike needs to be checked.

emeglasson

Did my first oil change and screen cleaning this evening. My bike has 175 miles. (I know, that's pathetic, but it is track only now, and it has been raining a lot...) i got the same results as others; a shocking amount of yellow and green paint, plus some sludge. Thankfully, no machine shavings.

Headed to the track tomorrow.

reenmachine

Country flag
Did my first oil change and screen cleaning this evening. My bike has 175 miles. (I know, that's pathetic, but it is track only now, and it has been raining a lot...) i got the same results as others; a shocking amount of yellow and green paint, plus some sludge. Thankfully, no machine shavings.

Headed to the track tomorrow.
So it seems like you guys follow the "break it in hard" philosophy vs. babying it per the factory recommendation?