Duke690 Upgrade?

bbristol

Hello,

New to the forum so apologies if this has been discussed or is not relevant to the forum.

I am 45 and love the playfulness of the rc390. I am in no way a racer but would love a track day for fun. Question here is, as much as I love this little bike I desire the build quality and maybe a bit more low/mid power of something like the 2016 Duke 690.

Main uses are quick sprints out the back door for sanity and the desire to take out for an hour trip or so to near by destination for a quick trail run, something like that.

Anyone else feel the same way? Is it worth it to just trade up to the 690 or should I just start throwing $$ at upgrading the rc to give it a better build quality and possible power at the sure loss of value in the end.

Would love an exhaust but they all sound sooo loud via you tube.

Any thoughts?

SneakyOwl

I owned a Duke 690 2013 before my RC390. It's hella fun, powerful and super fun to ride hooligan-style, but I really like the RC more for the ergonomics and in general fun factor in riding a sportsbike vs naked.
I should mention that the RC390 engine feels much more smooth and refined than that of the 690. There's a much bigger "tractor-feel" over the 690.

If only they made an RC690 I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Here's the old beaut' fitted with the old (08-11) Akra system:
safHMFT.jpg

micah360

I was in the EXACT same boat as you. I had a KTM 625 in the past and it was really fun and I miss that feeling of that big single. I was actually gonna sell my RC and get a 690, or older 640, but instead, I threw some money at the RC. I got the new Akrapovic catless exhaust, K&N air filter, drilled some big holes in the top of the air box and then got the Akrapovic map from the dealer. It's not a totally different bike, but it's a big change for sure. I took the silencer out of the exhaust too... and yes... it's real loud, but it sounds real sweet.

Good luck with whatever you choose...

veetard

I owned a Duke 690 2013 before my RC390. It's hella fun, powerful and super fun to ride hooligan-style, but I really like the RC more for the ergonomics and in general fun factor in riding a sportsbike vs naked.
I should mention that the RC390 engine feels much more smooth and refined than that of the 690. There's a much bigger "tractor-feel" over the 690.

If only they made an RC690 I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Here's the old beaut' fitted with the old (08-11) Akra system:
safHMFT.jpg

There is a kit that turns the Duke 690 into what is referred to as a "RC 4". Kinda spendy but very tempting.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TTkRt5phCIM

DukeMaster

I was in the EXACT same boat as you. I had a KTM 625 in the past and it was really fun and I miss that feeling of that big single. I was actually gonna sell my RC and get a 690, or older 640, but instead, I threw some money at the RC. I got the new Akrapovic catless exhaust, K&N air filter, drilled some big holes in the top of the air box and then got the Akrapovic map from the dealer. It's not a totally different bike, but it's a big change for sure. I took the silencer out of the exhaust too... and yes... it's real loud, but it sounds real sweet.

Good luck with whatever you choose...

With catless exhaust, dbkiller off and K&N air filter with holes on the box arent you afraid that you are running a bit lean with just akra map flashed.