easy 65W H9 upgrade for our 55W H11 high-beams

JKBC

Some of you may have noticed some parts lists show a H9 for the high and a H11 for the low. And in Canada and the USA we get H11's for both. H9's are legal and came stock in some cars. Now I suppose you could use a H9 for the low beam as well but it might be too bright and I think they generally are just used for highs. You can get a basic Phillips H9 for under 10 bucks on Amazon and there are a few killer H9's like these Amazon.com: Nokya H9 Headlight Bulbs - Arctic White 7000K 65W (Stage 1): Automotive < 7000K!!

How to do it is easy as you can see in this tutorial with great pictures DIY H11 to H9 bulb ... 599 headlight upgrade - Wrist Twisters
And here's one of those parts diagrams...notice the 2 headlight bulbs aren't the same. Also don't forget to not touch the bulb part with your fingers or you could ruin a new halogen bulb and/or have it not last long.
Front LED's.JPG

Last edited:

JKBC

I just finally got my Osram Night Breaker H11's in the mail. They are rated at 3600K and are supposed to be a big improvement over standard H11's as you can see on the back of the packages...however it shows about half of the life expectancy of a standard as well as you can also see. With this in mind I just ordered a pair of 3800K Nokya H9's and won't even put one of the new H11's in until I get the H9's and can put one of them in at the same time...and I'll have one spare of each. Possibly the 7000K ones may not be expected to last as long as the 3800K and look bizarrely vastly brighter when switching to the high beam was why I bought the ones I did. That's good of Osram to show the lesser life on the package.
H11's-Aug.18 2015 received.JPGH11's-Aug.18 2015a received.jpgH11's-Aug.18 2015b received.jpgH9's - Nokya - Aug.18 2015.JPG

Ryanthegreat1

Kelvin or K is the measure of color temperature and has nearly nothing to do with light output. Output is measured in lumens.

Anything above about 6000K is going to be beyond what the human eye is sensitive to and will actually appear dimmer and not light the road as well. Human eyes are most sensitive to greens and yellows. The near ultra violet of 6000K+ is about worthless for humans.

JKBC

Kelvin or K is the measure of color temperature and has nearly nothing to do with light output. Output is measured in lumens.

Anything above about 6000K is going to be beyond what the human eye is sensitive to and will actually appear dimmer and not light the road as well. Human eyes are most sensitive to greens and yellows. The near ultra violet of 6000K+ is about worthless for humans.

Yes and a 65W bulb has higher output than a 55W whether in a 1950's table lamp or as used in vehicle headlamps which is what this thread is about.
'H9bulb produces 2100 lumens and the H11 bulb only creates 1350 lumens'.... What Is A H9 Bulb - Qunswer ...no point in nitpicking as to those statistics but really...lets talk K's
The color temperature of daylight (sunlight) varies, but is often in the 5000K to 7000K range....and can be seen by my eyes...I suppose the totally blind wouldn't see the difference.
Color Temperature | Topbulb