ECU restricted till first service?

Old3

Country flag
Considering another 390 (RC/Duke?) as the $3999 prices are just nuts on the 18s. I read a note or heard in a upyoutube vid that th ECU was restricted to lower RPM limiter until the 600 mile service, pretty much handcuffing you to the dealer. Is this true?

I was planning a fly n ride kinda trip if I get another 390. My local guys seem to think they are worth $6500 + fees... Like $7300 OTD!!!

Thanks.

green_bread

Country flag
No, it is not true. IIRC, I believe the shift light is programmed to a lower value from the factory, but you can change that, yourself. The actual rev limiter is not set lower, as far as I know. Unless thats something thats changed on the newer models...

hvlmike

Country flag
Actually it is true...but you can change the rev limiter settings yourself...do an internet search...it's pretty easy.

Old3

Country flag
Thanks guys. Another thing to pick your brains, the improved cylinder head to fight the gasket failures, when did that come into play? All 2017 models?

Edit, .I see its likely the new head was an 18 model year change.

Last edited:

Old3

Country flag
Shift light.
Rev limiter is a different thing.

The video shows rev 1 and rev 2 just change the shift light but is the actual RPM limiter
lower at delivery until reset by a dealer at the first service?

Thanks

Last edited:

hvlmike

Country flag
My dealer did confirm that it's set lower for break in....and when riding, it does seem to hit the limit early. I guess I was wrong about setting it yourself...looks like the dealer needs to do it.

John390

according to my dealer, and my service manual, you cannot set the limiters or even access that menu until your odometer has reached 1000km(620miles). After that you can change the limiters.

or so I am told

Old3

Country flag
according to my dealer, and my service manual, you cannot set the limiters or even access that menu until your odometer has reached 1000km(620miles). After that you can change the limiters.

or so I am told

Thanks, that seems to be the case. I will see how that plays out. Lol.

Chuditch

it's just to change the shift light settings. The standard stock RPM cut is a soft rpm limiter at 10250rpm. I would love to be wrong on this but consider, why the hell would you need two rev limiters? However, two shift light settings makes sense.

https://www.rc390-forum.com/forum/e...ts-hitting-rev-limiter.html?highlight=limiter

There is no information saying that there is a milder 'run in' map, however, they do ask you not to go over 7500rpm. this is where the run in lock on the shift light sits, you can of course rev it all the way to 10250rpm if you want to, it's just a shift light. There is a lot of stuff on this forum regarding run in time/mileage so you can choose the way you want to do this, no advice from me offered lol!

After the first service, the shift light programming is unlocked and I found that KTM upgraded the map so it did run a little better, leetle bit more fuel.... I rode straight home and modded my RC after the first service, standard performance mods around the PCV and map that Chad offers. Do this! do it before the run in or do it after (like chicken man me) but do it, you will then see what the fuss over the RC is all about.

Last edited:

Old3

Country flag
it's just to change the shift light settings. The standard stock RPM cut is a soft rpm limiter at 10250rpm. I would love to be wrong on this but consider, why the hell would you need two rev limiters? However, two shift light settings makes sense.

https://www.rc390-forum.com/forum/e...ts-hitting-rev-limiter.html?highlight=limiter

There is no information saying that there is a milder 'run in' map, however, they do ask you not to go over 7500rpm. this is where the run in lock on the shift light sits, you can of course rev it all the way to 10250rpm if you want to, it's just a shift light. There is a lot of stuff on this forum regarding run in time/mileage so you can choose the way you want to do this, no advice from me offered lol!

After the first service, the shift light programming is unlocked and I found that KTM upgraded the map so it did run a little better, leetle bit more fuel.... I rode straight home and modded my RC after the first service, standard performance mods around the PCV and map that Chad offers. Do this! do it before the run in or do it after (like chicken man me) but do it, you will then see what the fuss over the RC is all about.

Thans, Ive already had an RC with Chad's tune in it. Special lil bikes for sure.

Falkon45

Country flag
I bought my 2017 new with 0 miles. My rev limiter was not set lower. My shift light was low as hell, though. Lol.