HardRacing

Supporting Vendor
Country flag

So now that the PCV is installed. it was time to install the Dyno Jet Wideband Commander 2 ( WBC2 or WB2) p.n. 15-7023x........ so we could have more Control over the Fuel map on the bike.

As many of you know the KTM 390 has a difficult ECU that doesn't allow closed loop to be altered.

Until now.

Working closely with the Head Tech at Dyno Jet... we've come up with a solution to this issue.

This was proven very successful on other bikes over the years.

And it works great on the KTM RC390 and 390 Duke........ Installing a Dyno Jet Wide Band Commander 2, or WBC2 / WB2 along with the PCV.

These two units work together........ to have more control over the Entire Fuel Map.

The WBC2 or WBC2 is basically an Autotune........ with More bells and whistles that allow you to have more control over the Fuel map on the KTM 390's.

Among many of those extra features is a Low voltage output (Green Wire).
This allows the user to intercept the signal that would normally come from the stock Narrow band o2 sensor going to the ECU....... , and instead... feed a "Spoofed" Signal to the ECU to run a more proper A/F Ratio. Approx. 13.5 - 13.7 ........... as opposed to the STOCK A/F which is approx. 14.7 - 15.0

1st and foremost The WBC2 is monitoring the A/F ratio of the bike using one of the most accurate o2 sensors on the market. ( Bosch 5 wire Wideband o2 Sensor.)

While it's monitoring A/F Ratio of the bike the WBC2 is basically multi tasking.

In the Closed loop section the WBC2 is feeding the spoof signal to the Stock ECU via the low voltage output (Green wire) to get the ECU to run the A/F that has been Pre-set by us. ( NOTE: The Low Voltage output.... is NOT part of the PowerCommander software Map you see on the computer screen. You cannot adjust the low voltage settings on the Software. It can ONLY be changed using a LCD200 .. at this time.. )

Then, in the OPEN Loop section the WBC2 is feeding the A/F readings to the PCV ..... where in return the PCV adjusts the Fuel accordingly to reach the desired A/F Ratio. (This IS PowerCommander software Map you see on the computer screen)

Here is the Install Video to help explain more:

[video=youtube;zw-m72LwdmM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw-m72LwdmM[/video]

If you are still a little confused here is some helpful information to clarify everything.

Power Commander V (PCV) - #18-015

Wide Band 2 Module (WB2) - #15-7023x

Common Abbreviations for Dynojet Products

PCV - This stands for "Power Commander V," which is the ECU-piggyback product from Dynojet that's used for making adjustments to the input/output of the bike's ECU, effectively tuning the bike. This abbreviation can be misleading to people who are familiar with engines, as PCV typically stands for "Positive Crankcase Ventilation."

Autotune vs Wide Band 2

Autotune A/F Monitor that interfaces with the Power Commander V and allows the Power Commander V to tune the bike as you ride it.
It includes a Bosch 5 wire Wideband O2 sensor that must screwed into
your exhaust. This sensor is pretty much industry standard, and regarded as one of most accurate on the market.
The Autotune is meant to be used in conjunction with the Power Commander V and can not be used on its own.

Wide Band 2 (WBC2) is basically an Autotune..... with More bells and whistles. It can be used as a stand-alone unit or in conjunction with the Power Commander V for auto tuning.

Unlike Autotune, Wide Band 2 can be used by itself, without the Power Commander V if all you want to do is read your air fuel ratio via a gauge. The unit supports output to an analog or digital wideband O2 gauge, and output to a data logger (first or third party). If you don't use it in conjunction with the PCV, it has leads that you can hook up to the bike to provide the WB2 with information about throttle position and RPMs, which can be used for logging. If you use it with the PCV, you don't have to hook these leads up, because it will pull that information from the PCV via the CAN BUS cable that connects the two units.

Wide Band 2 can be used in conjunction with the Power Commander V for auto tuning, and would function as a full replacement for the Autotune module. If you have a PCV and a WB2, there's no reason to purchase the Autotune product. WB2 provides some features that the Autotune does not - including output to an analog or digital gauge (as mentioned earlier), and a narrow band O2 sensor output, so you don't have to use the factory narrow band O2 sensor that comes with the bike. This allows the WB2 in conjunction with the PCV to fool O2 sensor readings to the ECU and allows the system as a whole to enrich the fuel map in the 0-80% throttle range (closed loop range), where the PCV itself can not otherwise make adjustment.

If you have any other questions, please fee free to ask.

We are always here to help.

cart.php

Last edited:
I for one really appreciate your explaining this stuff. However, your comment that the PCV5 doesn't enrich the mixture in 0-80% of the range will make me look at something other than powercommander or am I missing something?

HardRacing

Supporting Vendor
Country flag
I for one really appreciate your explaining this stuff. However, your comment that the PCV5 doesn't enrich the mixture in 0-80% of the range will make me look at something other than powercommander or am I missing something?

Every Fuel controller we know of.. so far is the same way... in the Closed Loop Section.

Now........... that's not to say you can't make changes...... But that the Stock ECU will fight those changes.

Where as when you are using the the WBC2......... the ECU doesn't fight it any more.

Thanks for all the informative information regarding the PCV and the WBC2

Ok I am one of the poor buggers who is having major problems with my idle and stalling etc... I have to date fitted the Bazzaz EFI but are removing it as it made no difference to the idle area as it has been pointed out to me that it cannot (bugger ) wasted money

Any ways If I was to install (Purchase this combo from you ) the PCV along with the WBC2 do you supply a map installed on the PCV that will be good for my mods which is only a fuel pipe and a K& N filter with open air box? and then from what I am reading the WBC2 will auto adjust from there to smooth things out?

I am no electronic techo at all just want to bolt on and go but as you can imagine am a little concerned my idle issue will still be there although you have mentioned on another thread HR that you had this same idle issue and as soon as you installed the PCV & WBC2 - problem solved?

Your assurance would be most appreciated as I have thrown allot of money at the bike just to end up with a piss bucket if you know what I mean :) Cheers Rod

HardRacing

Supporting Vendor
Country flag
Thanks for all the informative information regarding the PCV and the WBC2

Ok I am one of the poor buggers who is having major problems with my idle and stalling etc... I have to date fitted the Bazzaz EFI but are removing it as it made no difference to the idle area as it has been pointed out to me that it cannot (bugger ) wasted money

Any ways If I was to install (Purchase this combo from you ) the PCV along with the WBC2 do you supply a map installed on the PCV that will be good for my mods which is only a fuel pipe and a K& N filter with open air box? and then from what I am reading the WBC2 will auto adjust from there to smooth things out?

I am no electronic techo at all just want to bolt on and go but as you can imagine am a little concerned my idle issue will still be there although you have mentioned on another thread HR that you had this same idle issue and as soon as you installed the PCV & WBC2 - problem solved?

Your assurance would be most appreciated as I have thrown allot of money at the bike just to end up with a piss bucket if you know what I mean :) Cheers Rod

Can't promise the world. ;-)

But, FACTS are :
- This was DynoJet's Solution for the KTM RC390 & 390 Duke to have more control over the Fuel.

- It's been working great for 2 years on similar bikes that have the same kind of ECU.

- We personally have been using it with 100% success.

- We've sold a BUNCH of these to customers along with PCV and our Custom Maps.... and so far they are all loving it as well.

So, we are pretty confident.......... it will work for you.

And if you watch our Tutorial Install Videos on Youtube....... you will see it's pretty straight forward install.

Once you get the two units from us........ you pretty much just Install, and go ride.

Last edited:

EnCee

Hi,
Could I ask why we are forced to leave the narrow band sensor hanging and connected? This is messy in what otherwise seems to be very good performance wise.

Why can't the wide band be used for ECU feedback?

Can something be wired in between the wideband sensor and the ECU so this can be used?

HardRacing

Supporting Vendor
Country flag
Hi,
Could I ask why we are forced to leave the narrow band sensor hanging and connected? This is messy in what otherwise seems to be very good performance wise.

Why can't the wide band be used for ECU feedback?

Can something be wired in between the wideband sensor and the ECU so this can be used?

LOL.. you're not forced to do it. ;-)

If you don't want to keep the o2 sensor installed, you don't have to.

But, then the bike will throw a CEL.

We spent hours trying to find a resistor configuration that would fool the ECU into thinking the Stock o2 was still connected..
Dyno Jet did the same thing.
No Luck by either of us.

Would it be nice to not have to leave it plugged in..........Sure.

Does it really hurt anything or look out of place. Not really.

Honestly, once you ziptie it up out of the way under the Steering stem, like we show in the Video....... you won't even know it's there.

It doesn't come near anything or bother anything... and you can't even see it, unless you know where it is.

It's literally hidden out of the way.

Not really a big deal.

EnCee

LOL... I don't want the error so you virtually are forced to do it.

Not really a big deal but still messy.

I was curious not critical and just wondered what the reason was, but you have answered that ....thanks

D

Deleted member 452

Since I ride a Duke, everything's exposed so I don't really want to zip tie the old sensor to my frame. I would definitely make the upgrade if someone figures away around this issue.

HardRacing

Supporting Vendor
Country flag
You may want to check this out, This ECU (Bosch on RC) looks for current load so you would need the big 3 watt 330ohm resistor. Does anyone know what OBD code it throws?

superduke forum ? View topic - Working DIY O2 Sensor Plugs.

Tried resistors of all variance. None worked.

Honestly, even if you could find a combination of resistors, by the time you had the wiring, plug, and resistors the size would be pretty comparable to the Stock O2 sensor.

Again........ we totally get the not wanting to have to ziptie up the stock o2......... but there are plenty of places you can put it...... out of the way, that you won't even see it.

EnCee

You have obvously tried hard to sort this out but there must be a way.

In this configuration you have nothing on the dash to confirm the O2 sensor is working.

If and when the KTM sensor throws a light you have to replace something that is basically doing nothing and will no doubt be expensive.

O2 Sensors also get very hot, this is not ideal having it anywhere even unseen.

Must be a solution.

HardRacing

Supporting Vendor
Country flag

You have obvously tried hard to sort this out but there must be a way.
Promise. If there was an alternative......... between Dyno Jet (who's been doing this for 20 + years, and ourselves 16 + yrs... someone would have figured another solution)

In this configuration you have nothing on the dash to confirm the O2 sensor is working. That's actually what the WBC2 does.......... replace the stock o2 Sensor.
The only reason to leave the Stock o2 sensor connected is so you don't get a CEL. Otherwise, there is no need to leave the stock o2 connected, as it's no longer doing anything.

If and when the KTM sensor throws a light you have to replace something that is basically doing nothing and will no doubt be expensive.

O2 Sensors also get very hot, this is not ideal having it anywhere even unseen. Actually it doesn't really get that hot. We held it on our hand at full temp.

Must be a solution.

Fasteddy

Country flag
Just curious,do you recall when the CEL light comes on what FI code is displayed ? 17 one long / seven short flashes or 45 four long / five short.

HardRacing

Supporting Vendor
Country flag
Unfortunately, never saw a code number.

The Cel just comes on.
And as soon as you plug the o2 back in.......... it goes away.

NafizAliKhan

Can you use the Power Commander software to adjust the AFR settings for the closed loop yet? Or can the Pod - 300 work like the LCD200 to make adjustment to closed loop AFR?

HardRacing

Supporting Vendor
Country flag
Can you use the Power Commander software to adjust the AFR settings for the closed loop yet? Or can the Pod - 300 work like the LCD200 to make adjustment to closed loop AFR?

Some have tried.

But, the ECU will fight the changes... and usually cause lots of issues.

Which is why we developed this more complete solution with the WBC2.

NafizAliKhan

Some have tried.

But, the ECU will fight the changes... and usually cause lots of issues.

Which is why we developed this more complete solution with the WBC2.

I have both the PCV and WBC2. I wanted to get the LCD-200 but it's discontinued now. So if you have the WBC2 how can you adjust AFR without the LCD-200?