Fuel Gauge Float ...floating like a turd in a toilet.

g-force

Country flag
2018 rc390. 10k Kms. Float for fuel gauge floating like a turd in a toilet. Arm visible in tank...Of course read Empty.
So I took the unit out. Tank was grotty; containing brown particles and the float has a 3/8th hole through the middle with no visible means of attachment; looks like it dissolved. The arm has a tiny washer sliding around on it.
Anyone else seen this ?
Just found pictures of what this actually looks like and you can see the tiny washer that holds the float on to the arm... slid right thru the float.
Good thing it's Opening Day tomorrow so no hurry.

Attachments

• s-l1602.jpg
    s-l1602.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

mathieus25

Country flag
2018 rc390. 10k Kms. Float for fuel gauge floating like a turd in a toilet. Arm visible in tank...Of course read Empty.
So I took the unit out. Tank was grotty; containing brown particles and the float has a 3/8th hole through the middle with no visible means of attachment; looks like it dissolved. The arm has a tiny washer sliding around on it.
Anyone else seen this ?
Just found pictures of what this actually looks like and you can see the tiny washer that holds the float on to the arm... slid right thru the float.
Good thing it's Opening Day tomorrow so no hurry.
Hi I just got the same issue! Floater is off of the arm, out of nowhere. So you are not the only one.

g-force

Country flag
Hi I just got the same issue! Floater is off of the arm, out of nowhere. So you are not the only one.
Hah! So I rode like that since I got it and this winter pulled the tank and fuel pump. New float -little smaller from an airplane parts store = $26.. Put it back and got "Fuel Level Sensor" warning. So yesterday I pulled it again to clean the electrical contacts ( use pencil eraser and contact clean) on the Rheostat/grid and re-bend the contact-arm. Shit-soft metal on the winding and the contacts. Then had Low Fuel Level until I put gas in; so it works if I can believe the gauge. ( See my Shift Sensor/No Gear Indicated post ) Still won't start when Warm = No Gear or Neutral light.