Gauging Interest: 415 or 428 Chain/Sprocket Kit

green_bread

Country flag
I am talking to a manufacturer about possibly making a 415 or 428 chain/sprocket kit for the RC 390. He said that we would need to get at least 20 people to buy in to justify the work and that the 415 kit could take a few months to produce. They could possibly get a 428 kit made up sooner. I told him I would post here and gauge interest.

If you guys dont have experience with these kits, it offers a pretty massive weight saving on rotating mass over the stock setup. Pretty much anyone that races a lightweight bike uses a kit like this on their bike as long as they are available.

DCMoney

Country flag
Im in, I asked Greg Spears last year about making a kit but there wasn't enough interest. Count me in for 2 kits.

green_bread

Country flag
Im in, I asked Greg Spears last year about making a kit but there wasn't enough interest. Count me in for 2 kits.

Thats who I am talking to. I knew you'd be in for 2 kits and I bet Mark would be. I dont know if John is on this site, but I bet hed be in, too. Figured it didnt hurt to check again since its been a while since the question was asked the first time and there are a few more of these bikes racing, now.

Anyone else interested?

rick

I'm curious about a 428 kit but, can't commit at the moment. FWIW bahawton, in my experience the rear sprockets tend to be aluminum (more for track duty) for kits like this. No idea about this one though.

D

Deleted member 452

I'm running a Vortex aluminum sprocket with stock chain now. I would be interested in buying this kit for when my chain and/or sprocket dies.

green_bread

Country flag
So far, we have had interest for about 7 kits. We need at least 20 to get them to produce it. Talk to other racers at your tracks and see if there is any interest from them. If we get up to about 15 or so, Ill start a group buy thread and see what we can get going. Its been a while since Ive talked to the manufacturer about this, though. Doesnt seem like theres enough interest, yet, for them to put the time in to making these. Ill probably be going with a non o-ring 520 and an aluminum rear sprocket in the meantime.

Metals 907

I'm interested, I know the reduction in rotating mass is beneficial. I've never seen a 415 or 428 chain. Any pictures next to a 420 or 520 chain?
How will these chains hold up to the impact driver pulses that this little engine puts out? I've read about how it affect rear tires, and I've had to adjust my chain slack twice now in 2500 miles.

micahpearlman

I'm interested, I know the reduction in rotating mass is beneficial. I've never seen a 415 or 428 chain. Any pictures next to a 420 or 520 chain?
How will these chains hold up to the impact driver pulses that this little engine puts out? I've read about how it affect rear tires, and I've had to adjust my chain slack twice now in 2500 miles.

I wouldn't recommend this for a street bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rexbo

Country flag
I'd recommend against the 415 chain... I ran one for quite a few seasons on my ninja 250 race bike, and they would last 3-4 races at most, stretching the whole time and needing constant adjustment. Since they'd stretch over the course of the day, they'd also wear the rear sprocket incredibly fast.

Add another 15 lb-ft torque and 10 hp on a 390 and these chains would get toasted pretty fast.