Help me understand "Flashing" an ECU?

cornerslider

I've decided to swallow my pride, and just ask what might be perceived as a "dumb question"..... What is "flashing" an ECU, and what does it do? I used to have a Husqvarna SMR450R that I replaced the stock ECU with the "race" ECU matched to the Arrow dual exhaust I had on it. I honestly don't know what it did? I do know it ran 100% better, with noticeable power gains, and that was all without a PCV..... Does "flashing the ECU" still require the use of a PCV? I just want to know what I need to do once I get my 2016 RC390. I plan on doing a K&N filter with either an Arrow exhaust, or maybe the Werkes? Either way I know I'll have to do something. Any help would be appreciated-

Fasteddy

Country flag
Not to get to techy, but...
Flashing refers to the type of memory in the ECU's Infineon TC1762 micro controller, flashing is the term used for writing a different 'map' into the ECU's rewritable memory areas. This ECU has two sections of flashable memory in it.
– 1024 Kbyte Program Flash (PFlash)
– 16 Kbyte Data Flash (DFlash)

Currently there seem to be a few stock versions Flashes / data / map available from KTM and also the higher performance 'Akra' version. The various "piggyback" tuners, PVC / BAZAZZ etc.may or may not need the ECU reflashed depending on variables that I will not even try to define, but, if it were me I would have the Akra flash applied to the ECU before you even leave the dealer...

sturge

Here is a great site I have referenced for my Harley over the years....obviously a different bike but Fuel Injection is Fuel Injection. As stated above, when someone says 'flash' it's just overwriting the 'fuel map' that is in your ECU. Most bikes come stock with a 'lean' flash due to EPA restrictions on new bikes so the manufacturer is trying to squeeze the best EPA numbers versus best performance numbers. When you add a performance exhuast and/or modify the intake, you are allowing more air flow through the engine...this will make the bike run even leaner. Most manufacturers have performed dyno tests on a stock bike with a typical exhaust and intake upgrade. The results of that dyno run become a new 'performance' fuel map that some dealers will 'flash' to your ECU for a fee. This will give you more fuel to your added air flow from the exhaust/intake mods. A 'flash' from the dealer is not always a perfect match but it should be close if you use the same components that were used on the dyno test.

Lets say you do more to your engine...for example, on my Harley I have gone from an 88 cubic inch to a 107 cubic inch engine with a stroker crank, changed cams, ported heads, added exhaust, upgraded intake. After my mods I had it dyno'd and tuned by a guy who knows his stuff. This is the best way to get your mix of parts tuned properly...find a good shop that is familiar with dyno testing and knows how to use a 'tuning' software to dial your EFI perfectly for your mix of parts. This usually requires a 'tuning device' which will allow the computer/dyno to directly tie into your ECU and make adjustments. An example is a Power Commander but there are many others out there.

Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Fuel Injection Explained

cornerslider

So...... Hypothetically, I could get my ECU flashed at the dealer, and add a K&N filter, and maybe an Arrow exhaust, and it wouldn't harm the bike? I may not get huge gains, but won't harm anything? I know it will take some time for the PCV to be updated for the 2016 "ride-by-wire" technology. Then later in the year, when the PCV gets updated/bugs worked out, I could add it to the bike for some "fine-tuning"? If my local dealer can't flash the ECU, is there someone on this site that could? Thanks for the help explaining the ECU flashing. I now think I have a better understanding-

cornerslider

I spoke to my dealer yesterday, and he confirmed it would (according to the North American/USA brochure). I'm not sure if the ride-by-wire is good or bad yet? (I almost hope it doesn't) I do however, hope that it gets the larger front rotor, and a slipper clutch that it's rumored to have-

Diploman

The scoop from India, supposedly gathered from inside sources at the manufacturer, Bajaj, claims that the 2016 390's will not be fitted with ride-by-wire technology. There seems to be a good deal of contradictory information circulating both within the KTM/Bajaj/Dealership network and the Moto press. What the real story is, who knows? It will be revealed in the fullness of time...

2016 Naked/RC upgrades - KTM Duke 390 Forum

cornerslider

The scoop from India, supposedly gathered from inside sources at the manufacturer, Bajaj, claims that the 2016 390's will not be fitted with ride-by-wire technology. There seems to be a good deal of contradictory information circulating both within the KTM/Bajaj/Dealership network and the Moto press. What the real story is, who knows? It will be revealed in the fullness of time...

2016 Naked/RC upgrades - KTM Duke 390 Forum

Thanks for the link! That would make me really happy (I think?).... I don't really know if I'm really onboard with the ride-by-wire? I could maybe understand on a liter class bike, but seems like maybe a waste on a 40HP, single? Time will tell-

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
I've heard both form my 'inside' sources. Conflicting info. I know the '16 cup model is leftover '15s like always so no RBW. Wish I had a real answer for street models. As to slipper if it gets a slipper it wont be much , no OEM slippers are what I would consider good. A 3 ramp overloaded slipper doesn't slip enough to justify it as a "slipper" in my book. There are several reasons why the factory doesn't use them in production street bikes.

Hekimpd

I've decided to swallow my pride, and just ask what might be perceived as a "dumb question"..... What is "flashing" an ECU, and what does it do? I used to have a Husqvarna SMR450R that I replaced the stock ECU with the "race" ECU matched to the Arrow dual exhaust I had on it. I honestly don't know what it did? I do know it ran 100% better, with noticeable power gains, and that was all without a PCV..... Does "flashing the ECU" still require the use of a PCV? I just want to know what I need to do once I get my 2016 RC390. I plan on doing a K&N filter with either an Arrow exhaust, or maybe the Werkes? Either way I know I'll have to do something. Any help would be appreciated-

Thanks for asking. I thought I was th only one scratching my head going, "huh?" The next time I take my bike back to my dealer I'll have them flash it even though I haven't done anything yet. ;-)

sturge

So...... Hypothetically, I could get my ECU flashed at the dealer, and add a K&N filter, and maybe an Arrow exhaust, and it wouldn't harm the bike? I may not get huge gains, but won't harm anything? I know it will take some time for the PCV to be updated for the 2016 "ride-by-wire" technology. Then later in the year, when the PCV gets updated/bugs worked out, I could add it to the bike for some "fine-tuning"? If my local dealer can't flash the ECU, is there someone on this site that could? Thanks for the help explaining the ECU flashing. I now think I have a better understanding-

It definately won't 'hurt' your bike...the dealer flash would typically provide MORE fuel to the mix which would make it run richer than the stock 'lean' condition. Although an overly rich condition can be bad (unburned fuel into oil, poor economy, throttle response), the amount a dealer flash would increase fuel is unlikely to be considered 'excessive'. A lean condition is bad as it results in hotter combustion temps and cause pinging which can physically damage pistons if allowed to run in that condition over long periods of time.

Once you get into REAL engine performance modifications, the KTM dealer is not going to be your best source of knowledge. Finding a good independant performance oriented 'speed shop' with expertise in dyno tuning and using various tuning devices like the PC to 're-map' your ECU are the best bet.

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Thanks for asking. I thought I was th only one scratching my head going, "huh?" The next time I take my bike back to my dealer I'll have them flash it even though I haven't done anything yet. ;-)

I don't think that is the best idea. When you are ready to do the mods or have done the mods, then I would flash akra map and use the PCV. If you use the akra map on a bone stock bike it will loose performance, fuel economy, etc over stock map. The stock map is too rich upstairs on open loop (Alpha N) mapping. This is pretty common for safety reasons, fuel variance etc. The akra map is slightly richer in open loop areas, therefore it will be even richer upstairs (wasting power and fuel). The closed loop area is same size between akra and stock map with target lambda value set to the same, so there in closed loop area it will run just like stock map (too lean). What have you gained there? Lost power and fuel economy, and paid for a flash.

MotoKam

I've put 16,000 miles on my '15 RC 390 in 8 months and if I did it all again, I'd do these mods before any change to the exhaust system:

1. KTM Power Parts ergo seat - the stock saddle hurts after 20 minutes. The ergo seat is comfy all day.
2. KTM Power Parts front rotor upgrade kit - the stock rotor warped after just 2,000 miles. The performance difference is breathtaking.
3. KTM Power Parts adjustable brake & clutch lever - I never knew how much more I could feel in touch with the bike, plus they're gorgeous.

I wasn't aware the dealer could reprogram the ECU. I might ask about that myself. The average speed calculator is clearly way off, maybe they could fix that while they're at it.

The bike is plenty quick & loud right off the showroom floor..

Thanks, cornerslider, for asking the "dumb" question. I feel much more informed, too.

Cheers :)

cornerslider

I don't think that is the best idea. When you are ready to do the mods or have done the mods, then I would flash akra map and use the PCV. If you use the akra map on a bone stock bike it will loose performance, fuel economy, etc over stock map. The stock map is too rich upstairs on open loop (Alpha N) mapping. This is pretty common for safety reasons, fuel variance etc. The akra map is slightly richer in open loop areas, therefore it will be even richer upstairs (wasting power and fuel). The closed loop area is same size between akra and stock map with target lambda value set to the same, so there in closed loop area it will run just like stock map (too lean). What have you gained there? Lost power and fuel economy, and paid for a flash.

Thanks for the help Chad.... That makes sense to me. I will definitely be in contact with you when I get ALL my parts here. I definitely want to get the ECU flashed-

cornerslider

I've put 16,000 miles on my '15 RC 390 in 8 months and if I did it all again, I'd do these mods before any change to the exhaust system:

1. KTM Power Parts ergo seat - the stock saddle hurts after 20 minutes. The ergo seat is comfy all day.
2. KTM Power Parts front rotor upgrade kit - the stock rotor warped after just 2,000 miles. The performance difference is breathtaking.
3. KTM Power Parts adjustable brake & clutch lever - I never knew how much more I could feel in touch with the bike, plus they're gorgeous.

I wasn't aware the dealer could reprogram the ECU. I might ask about that myself. The average speed calculator is clearly way off, maybe they could fix that while they're at it.

The bike is plenty quick & loud right off the showroom floor..

Thanks, cornerslider, for asking the "dumb" question. I feel much more informed, too.

Cheers :)

Thanks MotoKam, 16,000 miles in 8 months is beyond cool!!!! I already have the power parts Ergo seat, and power parts levers in my garage (I don't even have the bike yet- LOL). The 2016 model is supposed to have thicker rotors, and the front is rumored to be 320mm. I LOVE the under belly exhaust, and that is one of the coolest features of the bike. I just don't trust the heat of the CAT, that close to the shock? I'm OK with "cooking" the OEM shock for a season, but it makes me nervous to put a premium aftermarket shock that close to it, before I get the exhaust sorted out? Have you had any problems with your shock overheating? I think you have more miles on your bike than most of the people on this forum? I've read your post about the valve check with great interest. I do all my own maintenance, on all my bikes. Do you know if the RC uses "standard" shims, or are they model specific? I used to ride supermoto, and have a shim kit that works on the Honda CRF450R, and the Husky SMR450R (identical shim kits). I may PM you later about maintenance once I get my bike-

Bagwell

Country flag
The shims in the RC are 10mm diameter not the slightly smaller 9.5 or 9.75 or whatever the other sizes are. Most if not all other KTMs that I know of are different than 10mm. I could be wrong on this, but its what I remember. You can use the V Rod shims from harley davidson if you can find a dealer that will sell you the sizes you need. I would certianly take a micrometer or vernier caliper with you to measure the exact size of the shims you buy if you can.