How to adjust headlight height-wise?

JKBC

Having lowered my RC 390 30mm at the seat (RC 390) and raising the forks 16mm (instructions for the 30mm kit suggest 15-20mm) I suspected my headlights may need adjusting. Haven't riden it at night yet but I just started it up as it was just dark enough to check and Jesus Christ they are perfect for blinding oncoming traffic/way too high. So I went to adjust them thinking the adjustment screw had a 8 or 10mm hex head but it apparently isn't...hard to see but maybe there's a cap to tale off or...? Hope someone can advise. Picture is from the manual regarding adjustment which doesn't mention bolt/screw size/what fits it/or to remove cap/etc.
headlight adjustment.JPG

Ryanthegreat1

I believe it is a flat blade screw driver. My low beam was pointed to the sky when I got it. The adjuster screw has a lot of resistance.

JKBC

You were right Ryanthegreat1:)
I thought I might have to buy a screwdriver that would fit in this particular cramped situation but it turned out that an old big flat stubby was perfect and its' style of handle really helps turn them. It's good they have a lot of resistance to hopefully stay put. I took 2 pics thinking I got the screws slot good but the flashlights light makes it hard to see. Both adjustment screws have a black line done by a marker at the assembly plant which shows up better in the picture. The stubby in the other is what anybody should try/get if they ever want to adjust their RC 390 headlights.
adjusting screw-rt.side.jpglarge flat stubby-perfect.jpg

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
I had to adjust my low beam WAAAAAY up! I kept having folks pulling out in front of me with the "So sorry, I didn't see you!" excuse. Same riding style as on all my other bikes, so I knew something was wrong... So, I started raising, and raising, and raising the aim on the low beam. I've got it pointed now so that it's JUST under the rearview mirror of most vehicles in front of me at night. So far at least, the incidents of somebody pulling out in front of me has reduced. I'm still going to figure out a means of getting both lights to come on with high beam, but at least now I -=SHOULD=- live long enough to do that!

Seth

Country flag
I had to adjust my low beam WAAAAAY up! I kept having folks pulling out in front of me with the "So sorry, I didn't see you!" excuse. Same riding style as on all my other bikes, so I knew something was wrong... So, I started raising, and raising, and raising the aim on the low beam. I've got it pointed now so that it's JUST under the rearview mirror of most vehicles in front of me at night. So far at least, the incidents of somebody pulling out in front of me has reduced. I'm still going to figure out a means of getting both lights to come on with high beam, but at least now I -=SHOULD=- live long enough to do that!

Attaboy! I think the RC's headlights are money!! They should attract attention!

Ryanthegreat1

I agree the low beam on the little RC draws a lot of attention if you set it right below the mirror levels on most cars. Then as you ride over bumps it flicks the hard cut off line across their vision. And that hard cut off with the projector creates an awesome blue/red/purple strobe as it passes. Really gets drivers' attention without blinding them.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
I agree the low beam on the little RC draws a lot of attention if you set it right below the mirror levels on most cars. Then as you ride over bumps it flicks the hard cut off line across their vision. And that hard cut off with the projector creates an awesome blue/red/purple strobe as it passes. Really gets drivers' attention without blinding them.

My HID Xenon conversion parts finally arrived the other day. I went with 8000k color. I'm going to set them up with relays in the tail section I think (still need to figure it all out) but, when I do, I'm also going to setup a relay and diode arrangement for the high beam to trigger the low beam to stay on... that way low beam will be just the one bulb, but high beam will illuminate both. There should be enough output from the charging system (296w) to power both 35w HID bulbs concurrently.