I took the side cowlings off, now the bastard won't start.

Vinegar_Bend

Country flag
I have a '15 RC390.

Everything turns on and appears to work: lights, turn signals, display, fuel pump, etc. Sounds no different and fine when you turn the key.

However, I hit the starter button and the bike won't turn over. Doesn't even make a sound like it's trying to turn over and start. Makes me think something is unplugged, but I can't find where that may be.

It's really strange because it ran wonderfully before I took the side cowlings off.

Help. Please.

Karfanatik

Country flag
Interesting. You gotta take the panels off and retrace your steps. Make sure shit is plugged in nice and battery charged. Check the fuses just in case. Its not really a complicated bike so it shouldn't be difficult to start crossing things off the list

mau

Country flag
I have a '15 RC390.

Everything turns on and appears to work: lights, turn signals, display, fuel pump, etc. Sounds no different and fine when you turn the key.

However, I hit the starter button and the bike won't turn over. Doesn't even make a sound like it's trying to turn over and start. Makes me think something is unplugged, but I can't find where that may be.

It's really strange because it ran wonderfully before I took the side cowlings off.

Help. Please.
If when you turn on the ignition the engine warning light flashes somewhat intermittently, that corresponds to an error, and you can check if it does and which error it corresponds to.
There is the rollover sensor, it could be stuck in the condition as if the bike was lying on the ground. It is located between the steering head and the ABS brake unit, under the battery box. The connector should be on the left side.

KTMLaos

Country flag
Perhaps the mass wire from the starter solenoid or starter motor is bolted to one of the fairing panels?

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Check your wiring harness. Sounds like something got unplugged. Check fuses as well. Trace the wiring harness from the ignition, clutch, and starter stitch. Validate all of the plugs have good connections. Sounds like something got pulled enough to pull a wiring harness plug apart. Maybe not all the way and just enough that it's not making good contact.

Biker

Country flag
Check the battery. If it's old they often let go without any warning. The lights etc will come on but there is isn't enough juice to turn the engine over.