K and N Filter Air box lid

s30series

I read somewhere to run the K and N filter with the air box lid off.... is this true?

It gives the engine better potential to make more power. You can either cut it all up yourself, or there is a vendor here that makes a "plate" to go over it to keep the filter down. I run said plate. Engine intake noise is loud, but with an ECU the motor seems to be much better.

DCMoney

Country flag
Leave the lid till you get a Powercommander or similar and have it tuned. The oem lid doesn't have to be drilled cut or destroyed.

There's 4 bolts that hold the top on plus some adhesive. Either use a knife and cut the adhesive or like I did, heat up the adhesive and pull.

Treachery

Country flag
+1 on the increased intake howl. That was a surprise, but then again, the airbox is closer to the rider than on other bikes I've owned, so with the lid off, noise happens. I agree with DC that you're well advised to do the K&N + PowerCommander + open airbox mods all at once.

Treachery

Country flag
Well, (in my mostly inexpert opinion) no.

Check out cjwell's thread(s) on the development of the PC-V for the RC390. A low-restriction filter and an open airbox will make the bike run too lean without remapping. The Akra map is better than stock, but still lean with those other mods.

Or at least, that's what I've read.

JKBC

I read somewhere to run the K and N filter with the air box lid off.... is this true?
Well getting the air-box cover back on including connected to the stock rubber snorkel is a bitch and the easy thing to do would be to leave it off but if you want to use it as a road-bike you should put it back on.

OldVet

Well getting the air-box cover back on including connected to the stock rubber snorkel is a bitch and the easy thing to do would be to leave it off but if you want to use it as a road-bike you should put it back on.

I have a K & N setting in my garage, haven't decided to try installing it as it looks like a hassle. Just how big of a pain in the ass is it to get the tank cover off and get to the darn thing?

Backmarker

I put my K&N filter in last night, my OEM filter cover only had 2 screws in front and it was clipped in on the back, no adhesive. It came off with ease. The tank cover is a bit off a pain, but I have had it off a few time now, and there is nothing to it now. I used the air filter cover from Mnnthbx, one of our sponsors, Well made and it fit great.

DCMoney

Country flag
I put my K&N filter in last night, my OEM filter cover only had 2 screws in front and it was clipped in on the back, no adhesive. It came off with ease. The tank cover is a bit off a pain, but I have had it off a few time now, and there is nothing to it now. I used the air filter cover from Mnnthbx, one of our sponsors, Well made and it fit great.

The post talking about the 4 bolts and adhesive is for those non-destructively removing the top dome off the filter cover. The OEM filter cover is made up of 2 pieces, if you turn it over you'll see 4 screws, flipping back over at the base you'll see a part line where they add a sealant/adhesive to seal the lid/dome together.

Edwardp33

Country flag
Planning to do the Airbox Mod Today does anyone have pictures or a video. I have been looking but not finding anything

Bagwell

Country flag
only reason, is it is loud and if you ride in the rain it can get in the airbox with the airbox lid mod or removal/replacement.