KTM RC 390 - 2015 vs 2016 - First Bike

wookiee

I'm new to motorcycles, and I'm planning to purchase an RC 390. I plan to do weekend riding and track days. I was disappointed to learn the USDM RC 390 isn't receiving the upgrades seen by other market, and also a little confused why there aren't 2016 RC390s at the US dealers yet.

What changed between 2015 and 201 USDM RC 390 models? When should I expect to see 2016 bikes in the US? I need to make a decision to wait for 2016 or move forward on a 2015 bike.

Last edited:

reenmachine

Country flag
From what I've read on here, it doesn't sound like there are going to be any changes for 2016 in the US -- no slipper clutch, no larger rotor, no side exhaust, no throttle by wire, etc.

No way to know for sure until they're here though.

Dealers may be discounting 2015 models to make room for 2016s, even when there are no changes, so there may be some deals out there.

Rexbo

Country flag
Not to discourage anything here... but if you're new to bikes save yourself some cash, buy a cheaper bike first (to wreck and learn from) and spend the money you saved on buying really nice gear (which you'll want eventually anyway if you want to ride track days).

Example: you can go find a newer ninja 250 now for dirt cheap (under $2k), while used 390s are still going for $5k ish. A nice set of leathers, boots, gloves and decent helmet will easily set you back $2k and you'll be better off with the good stuff. For the love of god don't buy Bilt or Sedici anything. Heck, you may even have budget left to buy nice street gear as well!

Then, when you're out-grown the beater bike, sell it off for close to what you bought it for and upgrade to something nicer. Bikes plummet in value quickly but then hit a bottom and sort of stay there.

wookiee

My favorite dealer has some 2015's for $4999 ...

I've seen those prices, but then there's always a freight and prep added that ranges from $500-800. I will double check though. I was working with a dealer that said they had a 2016 bike they'd sell me for $5499, but when they got it in they told me it was a 2015...so I'm reevaluating my options.

wookiee

Not to discourage anything here... but if you're new to bikes save yourself some cash, buy a cheaper bike first (to wreck and learn from) and spend the money you saved on buying really nice gear (which you'll want eventually anyway if you want to ride track days).

Example: you can go find a newer ninja 250 now for dirt cheap (under $2k), while used 390s are still going for $5k ish. A nice set of leathers, boots, gloves and decent helmet will easily set you back $2k and you'll be better off with the good stuff. For the love of god don't buy Bilt or Sedici anything. Heck, you may even have budget left to buy nice street gear as well!

Then, when you're out-grown the beater bike, sell it off for close to what you bought it for and upgrade to something nicer. Bikes plummet in value quickly but then hit a bottom and sort of stay there.

That is good guidance, but not an appropriate response to my question. Do you ride an RC 390? What gear do you use?

I have a Shoe RF-1200 and Rev-IT GTR jacket with back protector, and these seem decent. I live in Texas, so I need something cool for the summer. I have some simple MSR gloves with D3O, and Icon boots. As far as the gloves, I just wanted something simple so I was comfortable with the controls. Track days and more aggressive riding or different climates will require another gear assessment, but that's further down the road. I need to get comfortable on the bike before I do a track day, but it's definitely in the future.

Last edited:

wookiee

From what I've read on here, it doesn't sound like there are going to be any changes for 2016 in the US -- no slipper clutch, no larger rotor, no side exhaust, no throttle by wire, etc.

No way to know for sure until they're here though.

Dealers may be discounting 2015 models to make room for 2016s, even when there are no changes, so there may be some deals out there.

Thanks - this confirms what I've been hearing too, but I'm trying to get some more data points. I've heard good reviews about the 2015 RC 390 and all the KTM lineup, but it's hard to let go of the rumors of a slipper clutch, bigger rotor, throttle by wire, exhaust, ergonomics updates, etc.

reenmachine

Country flag
Thanks - this confirms what I've been hearing too, but I'm trying to get some more data points. I've heard good reviews about the 2015 RC 390 and all the KTM lineup, but it's hard to let go of the rumors of a slipper clutch, bigger rotor, throttle by wire, exhaust, ergonomics updates, etc.

We're probably all just repeating the same stuff floating around on the Internet. Who knows.

The current RC390 is a great bike as-is though. Most of us here are very happy with it!

Sacape2

From the looks of the 2016 bike, the only change seems to be the grips, belly pan, and exhaust. That may be all that will changr for 2016 USDM bikes. That's why I went for the 2015 bikr instead of waiting for a (in my opinion) less aesthetically pleasing bike.Suffice it to say, there is a slipper clutch upgrade for the 15 bike, but it's not cheap and something better off done when your OEM clutch is burned out.I also agree with Rexbo; buy a used bike for your first ride, so that when you do go down, you wont hurt your ego (dropping a new bike is emotionally painful). Spend that extra money on quality gear. If I had known better about gear when I bought my first bike, I wouldn't have bought a Scorpion helmet. Now I wear AGV, Dainese, or Alpinestar. I look at what the pros wear. Look up Marc Marquez, Nicky Hayden, and Valentino Rossi spill videos, you'll see they aren't wearing Bilt gear.

Sacape2

I was hit by a car at an intersection on my R6. It's not about if you go down, it's when. There's only so much you can control. Idiot drivers in SUVs aren't one of them.

Last edited:

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
I have '16 390 Dukes already, no changes. Still has mechanical throttle, etc. The '16 RC parts fiche is up to on dealer end, no slipper, same throttle....

psych0hans

Country flag
I believe the changes will appear in the 17 models. The new duke 390 has already been spied testing on Indian roads.

Topaz

Country flag
In 20 years of riding, I only drop my bike once from still when the side stand didn't lock as I thought it had. And I it happened relatively recently.

When I was learning I was being very careful not to drop my loved bike.

I always tell my friends to get the bike they like the most, know themselves, know their limits and respect the bike. IMO, that's how you get the most fun out of riding.

Rexbo

Country flag
Well, I purchased a 2015 RC 390. I look forward to this adventure.

Congrats!

For track days nearly all clubs require full leathers, gauntlet gloves and full coverage boots (no ankle boots) and sometimes require back protectors. For your choice, I'd recommend trying on lots of stuff and getting what is most comfortable. There are endless threads online about the "best" brands and gear and I'm sure you'll spend time reading all of them. It all comes down to what fits you the best, and don't skimp on cheap stuff.