KTM RC390 for first track bike?

Jayzonk

Hi Everyone, I am new to the forum. I have ridden on the street for quite a number of years, but I recently took a three-day track riding course, and I am interested in pursuing more track time. I currently have a Honda CBR600RR, but I want to move to a lower horsepower bike for learning. I am not an aggressive rider by any extent, and firmly classify myself as a novice, but, I definitely want to improve, and keep using track days as stress relief, and a little break from life.
I've looked at all of the 300's - Yamaha's R3, Honda's CBR300R, as well as the Kawasaki Ninja 400. I have read a few of the magazine type reviews, which seem to give the RC390 some unwarranted bad press. Of all of my options, is the RC390 the most track ready? Does it have suspension that I can just use, or will I be looking at replacements? Same for brakes? Reliability? I think I can disregard Ari Henning's blown-up KTM, based on the extreme level of performance he is trying to achieve. So I thought I would start here and see what you have to say. Looking forward to your comments.
J

Andy

Country flag
Dropping to small capacity bikes doesn’t make riding on track any easier, my opinion is it’s actually more intense trying to get one going fast although it does wonders in teaching you how to ride fast. I’ll also add it is so much fun, I can’t get enough!

Bike wise all offerings seem to be great but the KTM is just different and of course better!
Suspension wise OE works fine, I was suprised how effective it is but it definitely needs upgrading to improve the ride, have a good look through the forum as there are so many options for modifications.

The KTM provides the best package out of the box for track fun. As you get more experience, you'll want to modify your bike but that's true with almost all motorcycles. With the little bikes, you'll never get that screaming, arm socket ripping power. It's just not a real thing. You will spend more time working with suspension tuning than anything else. All the go fast bits in the world don't mean anything if you can't get the bike to stick to the ground. Braking upgrades are never a bad thing, either.

Our endurance race team has two R3s and one RC390. The amount of money we have spent to get the R3s competitive is significant. We still spent a ton of money on the RC, but it didn't take as much to get it competitive. My only real concern with the RC is how fragile it can be. We do spend more time prepping and post race maintenance the RC than the R3s, but it's worth it in the long run.

ReidMcT

Premium Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Country flag
Regarding brakes, you can get a HUGE improvement just by installing some HH pads in the front. It totally transforms braking from poor to very good, for about $25 or so. And it is super-easy to do the job - about 2 minutes.

Andy

Country flag
Couple of changes which I thought immediately improved handling was to get rid of the stock exhaust and stock battery!

Brakes (as above) HH EBC pads.

Other mods which I feel should be a must are fitting the Factory Pro detent arm!

Botts

Country flag
Couple of changes which I thought immediately improved handling was to get rid of the stock exhaust and stock battery!

Brakes (as above) HH EBC pads.

Other mods which I feel should be a must are fitting the Factory Pro detent arm!
Did you really notice a big difference from the battery? I've gone to lithium on a CBR250 and my 939 and 1000 and haven't really noticed a big difference. My KTM is standard AGM right now.

With regards to the OP, some depends on your track, but I will always suggest the KTM RC390 as a first track bike. It handles well and is great to learn on.

The brakes are a big improvement if you go to an HH pad. I noticed a huge difference when I did mine. That said, it's caused me to notice the ABS module interfering more often, I had to learn how to turn it off.

To the best of my knowledge, and according to my dealer, KTM is taking care of owners who have the head gasket issue.

Jensen Beeler explained small bikes very well when he said they teach you to make lap time on the front tire, not the rear tire.

Jayzonk

The KTM provides the best package out of the box for track fun. As you get more experience, you'll want to modify your bike but that's true with almost all motorcycles. With the little bikes, you'll never get that screaming, arm socket ripping power. It's just not a real thing. You will spend more time working with suspension tuning than anything else. All the go fast bits in the world don't mean anything if you can't get the bike to stick to the ground. Braking upgrades are never a bad thing, either.

Our endurance race team has two R3s and one RC390. The amount of money we have spent to get the R3s competitive is significant. We still spent a ton of money on the RC, but it didn't take as much to get it competitive. My only real concern with the RC is how fragile it can be. We do spend more time prepping and post race maintenance the RC than the R3s, but it's worth it in the long run.
That's interesting. What sort of items are you able to leave stock on the KTM? I'm curious because I thought you would be switching suspension on it as well has Forks. If I can leave the forks in the rear suspension intact, that's a huge win. Changing tires exhaust adding rear sets, that's easy stuff.
I've also heard a few negative comments about the rear shock, but who knows what to believe. Is anybody having trouble with the stock rear shock? What about the forks? For reference, I am just under 6 ft tall and approximately 205 pounds.

Andy

Country flag
Did you really notice a big difference from the battery? I've gone to lithium on a CBR250 and my 939 and 1000 and haven't really noticed a big difference. My KTM is standard AGM right now.

With regards to the OP, some depends on your track, but I will always suggest the KTM RC390 as a first track bike. It handles well and is great to learn on.

The brakes are a big improvement if you go to an HH pad. I noticed a huge difference when I did mine. That said, it's caused me to notice the ABS module interfering more often, I had to learn how to turn it off.

To the best of my knowledge, and according to my dealer, KTM is taking care of owners who have the head gasket issue.

Jensen Beeler explained small bikes very well when he said they teach you to make lap time on the front tire, not the rear tire.
Yes, could feel it quite noticeably same as exhaust.

Brakes I fitted the Speigler lines and took off the extra ABS brake lines. I’ve left the unit in at present but purged it of fluid and blanked off the ports. Performance and feel vastly better!

Rearsets is also another good choice for improving handling, I went with KTMs offerings although I wish I’d done the Tyga sets.

Andy

Country flag
That's interesting. What sort of items are you able to leave stock on the KTM? I'm curious because I thought you would be switching suspension on it as well has Forks. If I can leave the forks in the rear suspension intact, that's a huge win. Changing tires exhaust adding rear sets, that's easy stuff.
I've also heard a few negative comments about the rear shock, but who knows what to believe. Is anybody having trouble with the stock rear shock? What about the forks? For reference, I am just under 6 ft tall and approximately 205 pounds.

I’ve done rear shock (Nitron R1) set for my weight + kit. I’ve got dork internals to still do but if you want to do it cheaper you can get away with just fork springs and oil and even fit the emulators.

As I’ve said I find the suspension adequate on a flatish track but on the road it really is god awful, well UK roads!

I’m 6’1 and these bikes aren’t really designed for tall people, the fun factor will soon rule that out!

Jayzonk

Yes, could feel it quite noticeably same as exhaust.

Brakes I fitted the Speigler lines and took off the extra ABS brake lines. I’ve left the unit in at present but purged it of fluid and blanked off the ports. Performance and feel vastly better!

Rearsets is also another good choice for improving handling, I went with KTMs offerings although I wish I’d done the Tyga sets.
Thanks. I am wondering why you switched your brake lines when they are already fitted with stainless steel ones?
It sounds like the ktm likely needs the least aftermarket support if I'm just running track days. I am just under 6 foot, and i weigh 200lbs, so i am going to go check seating position on it first. And i am going to inquire about the warranty as well, but overall, it sounds like my best choice.

ReidMcT

Premium Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Country flag
I am 6'2" and 186 pounds plus gear. My RC is track-only. I think it fits me very well. Some people replace the brake lines in order to eliminate the ABS feature. I like my ABS just fine, though I won't argue against those who dislike it.

The stock rear spring is weak for a rider of my weight. I went with an Ohlins, but you could just get a heavier spring. The forks benefit from standard (non-progressive) springs matched to your weight, plus maybe slightly heavier oil.

HOWEVER, you definitely can ride a completely stock RC390 on the track. I saw it done just a couple weeks ago, and it was ridden well and fast.

One easy/cheap upgrade owuld be to get a higher pressure radiator cap. Our sponsor Gray Area sells them, and I guess other sponsors may also.

Andy

Country flag
Good call (above) on the Radiator cap. I think based on many posts on forum cooling is a particular issue especially in US, not so much in UK.

Jayzonk

Well, it's do or die time, and I'm making a decision. TBH, I'm both excited and uneasy about getting a KTM, so I haven't pulled the trigger yet. There's great pricing on them, with 1000 off on 2018's and 800 off on 2019's. My instincts are telling me that it's really the most, from-the-factory ready to track bike.
KTM is also offering a two year warranty on them right now.

The forks themselves are fine. The internals from the factory are not that great but solutions are not terribly expensive. The rear shock is a point of contention for most track riders and racers. The problems with the stock shock is it's progressive, not linear. It's just not as predictable as it should be. The cheapest and smartest fix is the R6 shock modification. If you search the forum there is a ton of information about that mod. Being that I race my RC, there's not much stock stuff left on it, but you don't need to go that crazy. Add mods when the need comes up, not because everyone says you have to have it.

Tires. If you are on a track, get proper tires. You don't need some crazy moto3 set up that won't last for 20 laps, but DOT race compounds are a good idea for grip and control. The little bikes don't eat race tires like big bikes do.

Just a thought to close my rambling out, you get more out of a 3 day race class than you do out of $5,000 worth of mods.