Lack of Customer Support 2016 RC390

Seabass

Hi Guys,

I have picked up my 16' RC390 2 weeks ago and so far so good! When I got the bike I was informed of a few issues from the factory.

1. the bolt for the mirror was missing its head an required some in shop modifications to attach the mirrors.
2. No user manuals/ Owners manuals came with the bike

I have attempted to email the following emails and no response in 2 weeks.
[email protected] , [email protected] , [email protected]

Has anyone else had issues with a 16' RC390 bike? ill try and attac pictures

Attachments

• 20160430_162346.jpg
    20160430_162346.jpg
    525.2 KB · Views: 157
  • 20160430_162328.jpg
    20160430_162328.jpg
    590.1 KB · Views: 156

simpletty

Country flag
Hi Guys,

I have picked up my 16' RC390 2 weeks ago and so far so good! When I got the bike I was informed of a few issues from the factory.

1. the bolt for the mirror was missing its head an required some in shop modifications to attach the mirrors.
2. No user manuals/ Owners manuals came with the bike

I have attempted to email the following emails and no response in 2 weeks.
[email protected] , [email protected] , [email protected]

Has anyone else had issues with a 16' RC390 bike? ill try and attac pictures

good luck...welcome to owning this peice if crap bike be prepared to have a nice comfy couch because it will be at the dealer more than you will be riding it. It's a quality piece of shit bike

Ryanthegreat1

Wow, your dealer could not even be bothered to find a $0.10 screw? I would find another dealer.

It probably cost more in labor to cut that slot than to just replace the screw.

Diploman

When the 390's were introduced to the North American market in the spring of 2015, the printed owner's manuals were not yet ready. It took several months for KTM to print the manuals and distribute them to dealers. Many early adopters received their owner's manual retroactively, months after purchase.

But by now, a year later, both KTM and the -responsible - dealers should be fully up to speed with the printed manuals. All recent buyers I am aware of have received a manual with the bike at purchase. If your dealer did not provide a manual with the bike, that sounds quite irregular. Perhaps negligence on someone's part. If I were you I would definitely inquire as to why no manual was provided, and when you may expect the dealer to provide this routine/standard documentation. Maybe they forgot to read their Customer Service Manual.....

stevieboy

Country flag
Not to give the dealers a pass but they seem to be generally unable to get the items themselves. I bought my bike on April 6 and was told the ergo saddle I ordered at the time of sale was due in a week. Delivery has been pushed out every time I have asked about it weekly from May 10th to now July 15th. My parts manager told me yesterday that he was going to cancel the order and give me a refund, since I could get one online, as the delay was "ridiculous'.I have seen both the parts manager and the service manager struggle with KTMs computer system too. The local dealers service department has done right by me as far as getting parts for and completing warranty work even without receiving approval from KTM. I am afraid to ask about the first service cost though and I am getting close.

Last edited:

ShinySideUp

good luck...welcome to owning this peice if crap bike be prepared to have a nice comfy couch because it will be at the dealer more than you will be riding it. It's a quality piece of shit bike

ahahahahahahahaha truth.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 452

Mine has been spent 7 weeks at the dealer for warranty work since Easter. The good news is the reclining loveseat that I ordered earlier this year just arrived (no joke).

rick

For both issues, i think you'd have the best luck going through your dealer. I haven't gotten any response from emails sent to KTM so far (those were about the unit conversion errors on the dashboard though).

1. That's weird - the dealer should have ordered a replacement bolt or replaced 'em all so that they would match at least.
2. My dealer gave me the Duke 390 manual when I left and I didn't notice until I got home a couple of hours away. We got it all sorted out in a few weeks - I mailed back the wrong one after they mailed me the correct one. I imagine that if you contact the dealer they'll get you one. Mine also came in an 8-1/2"x11" KTM zip-up folder FWIW.

As for reliability, I've also been having alot of bad luck: 89 out of 236 days I've owned it (38%) broken down and/or in the shop with about 6,000 miles on the clock. The dealer I'm trying this time said that they've been kind of hit and miss in terms of having issues. Suggests the design is okay but, quality control is horrible.That's fixable at least. I bought this bike as a commuter so, it's been ...let's say, very inconvenient to have spent so much time on the side of the road, missing work, etc. Hopefully you got a good one!

Seabass

Well the mirror bolt has arrived today.. haven't installed it yet though so I don't want to celebrate to fast if it doesn't fit or something. hopefully I spend more time riding less time on the couch! will update soon. Week 4 and no response from KTM about owners manual.

I wonder if I just print out the manual from staples or something and put it in a binder.

simpletty

Country flag
Good luck seabass. Mines still down since may and no answer as to a return eta. maybe ill look for a set of winter tires so I can ride it all winter or even better convert it to a snowbike and no more overheating issues.

Knock on wood -

4k+ miles on the bike, 5 months old, zero problems not of my own cause.

It's possible that the people with the most problems are also the most vocal.

That said... I have heard about a lot of problems with the rc390, so who knows what the percentage actually is.

ToraTora

Country flag
Mine has been spent 7 weeks at the dealer for warranty work since Easter. The good news is the reclining loveseat that I ordered earlier this year just arrived (no joke).

I don't know about Washington, but here in the Republic of California, all time spent in the shop extends the duration of the warranty. This would mean it's a good idea to keep track of the time your bike is not available to ride due to these repairs. Also, if it's gone in three times that fourth time is reason enough to get a replacement. But be prepared to fight for that one!

chrisdigital21

I don't know about Washington, but here in the Republic of California, all time spent in the shop extends the duration of the warranty. This would mean it's a good idea to keep track of the time your bike is not available to ride due to these repairs. Also, if it's gone in three times that fourth time is reason enough to get a replacement. But be prepared to fight for that one!

Here is My review. Buy anything else......... Just walk away.

D

Deleted member 452

I spent a lot of time on the phone with KTM. They wouldn't extend my warranty and they wouldn't replace my engine. I now have 11.5K miles and everything seems OK but I also bought an extended warranty from the dealer based on the problems that I experienced.

stevieboy

Country flag
I spent a lot of time on the phone with KTM. They wouldn't extend my warranty and they wouldn't replace my engine. I now have 11.5K miles and everything seems OK but I also bought an extended warranty from the dealer based on the problems that I experienced.

How does the extended warranty work? Is it through KTM or a third party?

D

Deleted member 452

How does the extended warranty work? Is it through KTM or a third party?

3rd party and each dealer uses different 3rd party sources so I suggest googling the company that your dealer uses before pulling the trigger.

btalont

Country flag
Having been on the forum since I bought my bike a year and change back, I have to believe I am one of the lucky ones so far. I got all my manuals in the nice big zippered case. My bike has not missed a lick (except for my own doing..idle is still giving me fits with the Bazazz), I have been tracking it a year now (still street legal though) and have enjoyed the 600/liter bike killer into and out of turns at my level..great fun as late as last Sunday. My dealer seems to be good, the 600 mile service done without issue. I did cooling system upgrades proactively based on all the head gasket issues and so far no issues. Here's hoping fate doesn't slap me for this post!

Csorin

Having been on the forum since I bought my bike a year and change back, I have to believe I am one of the lucky ones so far. I got all my manuals in the nice big zippered case. My bike has not missed a lick (except for my own doing..idle is still giving me fits with the Bazazz), I have been tracking it a year now (still street legal though) and have enjoyed the 600/liter bike killer into and out of turns at my level..great fun as late as last Sunday. My dealer seems to be good, the 600 mile service done without issue. I did cooling system upgrades proactively based on all the head gasket issues and so far no issues. Here's hoping fate doesn't slap me for this post!

Same experience here. I keep all my racing docs in the zippered case. Beast on the track and has brought me through my first CMRA races. Replaced all the parts you would on any other stock bike. Thing is killer. Some people are never satisfied. You have to take forums with a grain of salt. Unhappy customers are always the most prolific.