Low oil pressure warning

Dsm_s5

New rider and I’m out of my element when it comes to bike issues. I recently did my first service on my 2015 RC 390, I used 1.75l of oil and changed the filter. Ever since my first service my low oil pressure light keeps coming on but only when the bike is up to temperature. I didn’t have this issue before the oil change so I must have done something wrong.

rohit9022

New rider and I’m out of my element when it comes to bike issues. I recently did my first service on my 2015 RC 390, I used 1.75l of oil and changed the filter. Ever since my first service my low oil pressure light keeps coming on but only when the bike is up to temperature. I didn’t have this issue before the oil change so I must have done something wrong.

Did you find any solution to your problem or findout wat the problem is i im facing the same kind of issue aswell

ReidMcT

Premium Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Country flag
If the problem started after you changed the oil, then it's very likely that you caused the problem, possibly by not following the instructions completely.

The last step is very important: Check the oil level. I'm attaching an image of the procedure for that final step; follow it precisely. Many of these bikes require more than the 1.75 liters specified earlier in the procedure. Mine takes about 1.9 liters. Also be sure that you installed the oil filter and screen correctly.

Checking the oil level.JPG

I'll second ReidMcT on making sure you check the level correctly, I'd add you may want to ride it around the block or track to bring it up to temp.
This has happened to me once.
When I changed the oil I used Motul oil instead of Motorex, but correct weight, and an after market filter.
From reading through posts of others with the issue it seemed the bike might be sensitive to that.
I also saw posts that the water pump seals have issues.
So I changed my oil back to Motorex, used an OEM filter and put in new water pump seals, and so far no problem.

With the seals, it seems oil will get into water, but water won't get into the oil.
So draining and checking your coolant may tell you if that's the problem.
I just went ahead and changed mine, but I didn't have any oil in the water.

Solidwire

Country flag
Go get a paint measuring container. Home Depot has them. I had my oil light coming on since new. I did the 200 mile oil change and carefully measured it. I put a couple ounces less, starting out. No more low oil pressure light. I’m usually just throw in the recommended quarts in my cars. The 390 seems very sensitive. I also used 20w50 Dino oil.

ReidMcT

Premium Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Country flag
On July 5 I temporarily joined the low-oil-pressure club, and learned a valuable lesson. I was riding on the track when the low oil pressure warning light and message appeared on the dash. My oil level was right, and I had changed the oil, filter, and screens 1000 miles ago. As I found, 1000 miles is far too long an interval for a track bike. I drained the oil, and it was extremely dirty. The filter showed signs of collapsing and was obviously heavily loaded with - I presume - clutch dust. The main (larger) screen had a lot of metal particles, which doesn't worry me too much on a new engine. The small 'extractor' screen had no debris of note, though a 2-inch-long thread of sealant came out with the oil that drained for the bore.

I replaced the screens and filter, and refilled with 1.9 liters of 15/50 Yamalube synthetic (the only correct oil I could find locally on July 5). Back to the track on July 6, and all was well.

I talked to a few track veterans, who all said they change their oil very, very frequently - about 500-600 miles. Wow, I'd have never thought that such hyper-frequency would really be necessary, but it makes sense when I consider that I'm not only running the engine really, but I'm also working the slipper clutch several times per minute.

Lesson learned: hard running makes dirty oil really fast. I do not think the brand of oil has much to do with it. I have Ravenol synthetic on hand, and I'm ordering some Motorex Top speed 4T that I found at a good price.

Solidwire

Country flag
It’s better to change it more often. On my last track bike I would just run full synthetic Rotella T6, was cheap to buy gallons. These engines spec out for the JASO MA2 and seem finicky. Can’t find any affordable good oil that fits the standards.

Track days can get expensive. Especially if you pick bad lines.

Tenzin

I m having the low oil pressure warning since many days been 900 km after I did my last service and changed my head gasket recently..really tensed..what could be the problem???

ReidMcT

Premium Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Country flag
I m having the low oil pressure warning since many days been 900 km after I did my last service and changed my head gasket recently..really tensed..what could be the problem???
Any of the causes discussed above could be the problem. It is also a big problem if you are continuing to ride your motorcycle with the low pressure.

Barry

Country flag
I am having the same oil pressure issue, oil level is correct, filter and screens replaced and fitted correctly, oil sensor replaced, bike seems fine but get the oil pressure warning after about 1 minute of riding, can not work out why.

Maxdog3

Country flag
Hello i am having the same problem picked bike up yesterday 2016 model i was told the dealer took it in part exchange and it had work done on it due to low oil pressure they said they solved the issue by replacing the oil pump and the sensor.. It obviously hasn't worked and to top that it is hit and miss with starting up i get a battery error code could any one please help?