Master Cylinders -- A Comparison of Appropriate Application

DCMoney

Country flag
Tora I linked to the article to help explain what the numbers mean on a master cylinder, not start an argument about hydraulic clutch master cylinders.

Treachery

Country flag
Just now read through the thread. Thanks to the contributors. Have to decide whether to save up for a Brembo or pennytech an R6.

psych0hans

Country flag
Just now read through the thread. Thanks to the contributors. Have to decide whether to save up for a Brembo or pennytech an R6.

I was planning on saving for a Brembo RCS but landed up snagging a great deal on an OE Brembo unit. Look on eBay for Ducati Master Cylinders, that's what I did. Almost bought a cheapo Chinese set, but then got cold feet... I've used a "Brombo" unit in the past on my ninja 250, but it broke while I was transporting the bike, so I replaced it with a used R6 unit, which refused to bleed... lol So now I have a new rebuild kit waiting to go on.

This is what I bought - ducati multistrada 1100 brembo fronte brake master cylinder new

ToraTora

Country flag
The RSC14

I recently found out about another nice master. The RCS can be found in a 14. For calipers that have four pistons the the 15 would be the best choice. But if you have a single front caliper with two pistons then the 14 would be a better choice. KurveyGirl has these on sale for $250, that's $100 less that the 15 goes for, and she includes a really nice titanium banjo bolt. :) We just ordered one for my friends GPR. (yeah we are still working out the brake line.)

IMG_2752_zps33av9iyb.jpg

IMG_2775_zpsrz6pwuew.jpg

Here's what I posted on the Aprilia Foro.

I found out that there's a 14 RSC too. The 14 was produced for single discs running a caliper with two pistons. Just like most of the GPR and RS50 bikes. Kurvey Girl has these on sale for $250. You still need to pay shipping, and find a reservoir, but that's a damn fine price for an RCS.

KG_BREMBO_14-RCS_Brake_Main_wm.jpg

Brembo said:
The brand new 14 RCS master cylinder from Brembo allows riders to choose between heavy or gradual braking depending on road conditions and weather, personal taste and the overall feeling of the motorcycle. The 14 RCS, with a 14 mm diameter floating piston can be used on most single disc braking systems with 2-pistons fixed or floating calipers. The RCS system (Ratio Click System) is the pioneering adjustment that enables the rider to achieve his ideal riding style. With the new 14 RCS pump it is like to have two master cylinders in one product. The 14x18 mm enables more gradual braking and requires a longer lever stroke while the 14x20 mm generates a more classic road riding feeling.

However, the configuration can be changed in a matter of seconds by setting the ratio distance between values of “18” or “20” by simply turning the regulator on the front face of the steering arm 180 degrees with a screwdriver. The cam system (red marking when set to 18 mm, black marking when set to 20 mm) adjusts the distance between the pivot point and mounting point on the lever pushrod by 2 millimeters. This redistributes the braking force without altering performance.

In common with all RCS master cylinders, the 14 RCS also features a microswitch kit for the brake light actuation and a special connection fitting for the hydraulic hose.

This new master cylinder can be used on the most popular scooter with single 2-piston fixed caliper, or floating, with single disc, ensuring top performance for this category.

Edit

I checked in with Kurvey to see if there was a short lever option. Currently the 14 is only available with the long lever. This is a shame since the MC is aimed at scooters and smaller bikes. You can buy the short lever separate for a little over $50, but at that point there's not much savings. :(

Brembo%20-%2019RCS%20-%20Compare%20Short%20to%20Long%20-%20800%20_wm.jpg

ray

A friend has the Nissins that come on the ZX14R I believe. Rode his bike through the canyons the other day and the feel has improved but stopping ability has not whereas his rear custom made NITRON suspension was simply awesome. The bike is so planted and the rear gets a ton more grip now!

Clearance issue with the screen..he simply reduced the turning radius of the steering :D

I was to be equipped with a Brembo racing caliper is stop taking the worry.
Report Once you have made this challenge is well

Application
Brembo 4P caliper fixed pitch is 40mm
Brake disc 320mm offset 7.5mm for the Ducati 916 ~ 998
Brembo radial master cylinder
013.jpg014.jpg

psych0hans

Country flag

The RC390 has a Brake Mastercylinder bore of 12mm

The clutch is cable, so obviously no MC.

Hi, thanks for your reply, I actually have the OE brake and clutch master cylinders from a Ducati MTS 1100 which I'm planning on installing. I should have been more specific. Going the hydraulic way for the clutch with a conversion kit.

HardRacing

Supporting Vendor
Country flag
Hi, thanks for your reply, I actually have the OE brake and clutch master cylinders from a Ducati MTS 1100 which I'm planning on installing. I should have been more specific. Going the hydraulic way for the clutch with a conversion kit.

Aaah.. ok.

Scarecrow, so you are going from radial to axial?

Psycho, how are you planning to mount the calipers?

Brembo Racing radial mount calipers can not be used because the center position of the disc is not put out.
Therefore we thought that mounting the caliper of the axial mount.
Create a mock-up of wooden from the drawing
In assembling a wooden mock-up and the vehicle
Fixed a difference out in the drawings and the actual
If you use an axial mount caliper, brake disk offset
Range of up to 0~ 8mm may be used.
Currently, it calculates the cost for carrying out the manufacture of the caliper support.
The number of production or one minute, it's undecided or multiple make.
If the number of production is only one, the production cost is likely to take about $ 600.
030 (2).jpg031.jpg

psych0hans

Country flag
Scarecrow, so you are going from radial to axial?

Psycho, how are you planning to mount the calipers?

Planning on using a Tokico 108mm calliper which I'll mount using a custom made bracket. If I stick with the stock calliper then I'll just turn some spacers on a lathe.

キャリパー一覧.jpg

I think this image is useful for your challenge
I decided to use the 40MM axial mount give up.