More preload to valve springs?

kostean

Country flag
Known aspect of the 390 engine I have learned is that the OEM components of the top end are susceptible for quick failure if in case used at high redline and racing use (have seen 30-hour engine top end being found to be almost at catastrophic failure condition ).

Now fixing this not to be an issue (TI retainers, beryllium valve seats, swapping out head bolts to hardened studs) I do wonder if it would be of any help to address the high RPM valve float trough adding a bit of preload to OEM springs via thicker valve spring base seats. I wonder if anyone has any experience on that aspect as so farI have found no alternative valve springs been offered available what wold be a degree harder, but still acceptable for OEM valves.

ChrisW

Country flag
I have a set of ti retainers from gray area KTM (waiting to be fitted). I only emailed Paxton the other day about this and his retainers are machined to provide increased seat pressure.
Hope that helps.

kostean

Country flag
I have a set of ti retainers from gray area KTM (waiting to be fitted). I only emailed Paxton the other day about this and his retainers are machined to provide increased seat pressure.
Hope that helps.

Well, same in here and good to know the TI-retainers will provide some more preload as well.

Let's see if at some point also as simple a thing as racing intended springs show up again. Chad had them on sale for some time but I have no whatsoever idea were these just some more common type ones fitting to 390 as well or really been custom made for order. From what I have seen with racing used 390 heads, I do suspect the OEM springs lack a bit at extended RPM.

KTMasean

Country flag
Interested in non-floating valve springs as well if anyone comes across them kindly share :)
Perhaps there is a cross-reference list somewhere for valve springs?

Last edited: