reenmachine

Country flag
So, a month or so out, who's running these, and any problems with the system accepting the higher pressure?
I'm running a different brand, but it's a 1.6 and I've had zero problems. Equal parts street and track. I also repeatedly flushed the system when switching and run distilled water with MoCool. Temps are more stable, fan comes on less and recovers quicker, and best of all, no more puking!

Treachery

Country flag
Okay. Installed my fine Helix Racing cap this evening. Suggestion: Don't start this project after dark. Stoopid happens.

Other suggestions:
1) Don't be a lazy-ass, go ahead and take the fairing panel off so that you can reach the cap more easily.
2) Find the hose that leads to the reservoir, and use a fuel line clamp (won't crush the hose) to pinch it off. If the bike's cold, the system isn't under pressure, but there's gravity feed down to the top of the radiator. The result is that whan you loosen the cap, coolant goes every-freaking-where. Okay, you don't lose that much, but you'll empty the reservoir and make a mess (another reason to take the fairing panel off), then you have to refill the reservoir.. So, get good access, pinch the hose, and swap that puppy out.

Now, having read this, I'm going to assume you can envision the dumbassery that took place here this evening. Go ahead, have a hoot. My pleasure.

Okay. Installed my fine Helix Racing cap this evening. Suggestion: Don't start this project after dark. Stoopid happens.

Other suggestions:
1) Don't be a lazy-ass, go ahead and take the fairing panel off so that you can reach the cap more easily.
2) Find the hose that leads to the reservoir, and use a fuel line clamp (won't crush the hose) to pinch it off. If the bike's cold, the system isn't under pressure, but there's gravity feed down to the top of the radiator. The result is that whan you loosen the cap, coolant goes every-freaking-where. Okay, you don't lose that much, but you'll empty the reservoir and make a mess (another reason to take the fairing panel off), then you have to refill the reservoir.. So, get good access, pinch the hose, and swap that puppy out.

Now, having read this, I'm going to assume you can envision the dumbassery that took place here this evening. Go ahead, have a hoot. My pleasure.

Had to laugh when I read this - If it makes you feel any better I did exactly the same thing - but I went one step further and did not fit the new cap properly with the fairings still installed and when I refilled the reservoir tank - well I had the same mess on the ground that I just cleaned up - Life is a learning curve :)

stevieboy

Country flag
Exactly. And it was me who topped up the overflow tank to between the marks. Empty from dealer before and after fan replacement.

74d34h

This thread caught my attention. I ordered one today. I asked my wife to keep an eye on her temperature gauge today. It is 90 Degrees in NY today. Monday we are doing a trackday. Sure enough she said in slow moving traffic her temperature gauge went to full. Moving at higher speeds it went down by 2 bars. Seemed pretty high to me, but I do not know much about this bike.

=maz=

Country flag
Been very happy since installing mine.
I don't bother checking the temp level anymore... If the fan comes on it goes off quicker than it used to.

Seth

Country flag
Just Checked MNNTHBX.com and I coulnd't find the 1.6 rad cap for the RC 390. I found the DUKE 390 is listed. Is the RC caps sold out?

MNNTHBX

Supporting Vendor
Country flag
Correct, they're one and the same. Thanks for bringing that to our attention. We'll update the site.