Next production run of steering damper kits

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
The latest batch of steering damper kits, machined from billet aluminum, are now completed and available for shipping.

816846faee4b6361aca0dabbb301d3df.jpg

We can also offer the option of anodized parts, in black or clear, for an additional cost... The initial production run we had the parts powder coated, because they were machined from cast aluminum, but due to problems with quality of the finish from that process, it's been decided against risking the parts, at last for the entire batch, with this latest run. If someone has a specific request for powder coating, we can look into it. The first production ended up with more than half the parts being scrapped due to problems encountered in the finishing where the pieces came back from powder coat with unacceptable results... Something which TOTALLY broke my heart (and wallet) after having spent sooooooo much time manufacturing them. We never did discover the root cause of why so many parts came back with the finish looking like a moonscape, and just accepted we would do the next batch out of billet once we had sold all of the pieces from the cast aluminum production run.

Changing to manufacturing the parts from 6061 billet also afforded us the opportunity to make some minor changes to the parts, which we are very happy with. Here is a photo of one of the latest production kits, and all of the hardware that comes with it.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Two damper kits were spotted in the wild this weekend at Circuit of the Americas. These kits were on forum members bikes of EdwardP33 and Jeff Frazier:
damper-1.jpg

Edward also has a custom fabricated damper pin, which has on it's end extra length which is then turned down and threaded for M4, such that a custom modified 1" RAM Ball can be screwed down onto the pin... one very trick setup indeed!
damper-2.jpg damper-3.jpg

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
That is a really good idea with the RAM mount!
The pin in that configuration was certainly an interesting job to make. I have my order of operations (each step from raw stock, where you machine to a depth or perform the next action is called an operation) down for making the custom pin. It sounds strange but adding that little bit of threads on the end was a little tricky from a machining standpoint. Each operation builds on the last, and work holding (how the piece is held in a chuck, vice, collet, clamp, etc) is critical in consideration of each step... and you have to also keep in mind what the subsequent operations will be, and how the part will be held... Plus, you need to make sure your holding method won't mar the surface of prior operations. It can be a puzzle sometimes! LOL

Anyway, custom parts like that are fun for me. Plus, it helped a good customer achieve a specific design he wanted for his bike. Plus, he can say he's got the ONLY Formula390 steering damper kit with integrated RAM mount!

The hilarious bit was when I was doing the job, the drill snapped in the RAM ball at almost 3/4 of an inch in. Of course it was also one of the carbide tap drills. Hard hard hard! If I'd have had the time, I'd have just dissolved it out with Alum in water. Edward needed the part the next day tho... So, I had to get creative. An hour later, the drill was extracted, and the hole threaded. It screwed right on.

Whew! Quite the ordeal for a simple "just a quick hole and tap thread it" final set of operations. Makes me think I need to seriously consider putting a ball turning fixture together for my 14" lathe. I could have turned a new ball with one of those in a fraction of the time it took to save the ball with the broken drill stock in it! LOL On the plus side, Edward got to see me in full scale "solve the machining problem" job shop mode. Heh.

avs

Country flag
has the damper kit-2 been discontinued? or is it just out of stock for now? it isn't listed on your website.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
I discontinued the kit for the one with the stock triple, and now only manufacture the one that works with the Tyga triple.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
Will it work with the driven triple?

Sorry no it will not. The damper kit bracket which holds the damper itself is keyed into the Tyga Triple. I've looked into trying to make one for the driven trip, but haven't had the time necessary to spend on the development. I might get one done some day, but the demand hasn't been there really to justify the time necessary to do it.