# of Lemons vs Good Ones out there...

cornerslider

I think you're way off base... The point of this thread is to determine if KTM has improved build quality on these bikes (not attack me personally). People with less than 10K miles really can't say if their bike's reliable or not.

So those of us that push are bikes hard, don't get to have an opinion until we have 10,000 track miles?

kaede

@cornerslider & bahawton. Guys, no need to dwell on difference in terms of usage of the bike and how hard we push it =D

We understand both your perspectives. for cornerslider, @2100 miles (mostly track), the engine is for sure quite "reliable" if nothing major has come up yet with those kinda mileage (given no major rebuild and or parts replacement took place).

As for bahawton, thanks for chiming in and letting us know your negative experiences. I really do hope they have picked up their QC and reliability AS WELL AS their commitment to deliver sound working bikes devoid of any major premature failures + stand by their products should something fails prematurely.

I started this thread to see how many long term owners can chime in whether or not their RC's has been all experience major failures at one point or another, regardless of mileages (because this bike tbh has only been available to North American market a little bit over 2-3 years, so most of them should still be new'ish).

Anyways, Thank You all of you guys for posting up your experiences!! Much appreciated! Cheers!

D

Deleted member 452

There's not much for me to add to this thread and I think Cornerslider expressed his feelings but it would be great to see more people chime in with their experiences.

Rcdan

I would have to check the odometer for an exact number. Around 4,000 and running like a clock. A noisy clock yes but trouble free. No loose bolts or leaks etc.. Great little bike and glad I bought it.

yourlastvisit

Okay, so my 2015 duke 390 that was doing all well till now, popped an oil leak on the right side of the engine. Surprisingly I don't have any seepage near oil filter cover unlike what the other members had stated earlier. I've had the bling Powerparts for over months and never had this happened. I noticed it only yesterday. My head gasket was replaced in the last service around 3 months back but there is some oil seepage there too. I'm uploading pictures of all the spots where oil is found, except for one picture which is of the oil filter cover and is not leaking oil.
d7d9acac3d445eb3801e92fa67323978.jpg
534e00924fe1f025b0799943418cbc1b.jpg
73ab19450ba99b2d1124d3e66e87030c.jpg
91df0db4be51e64ec7ac6ca911d6a238.jpg
232956ed34066ba2845b19d678a38cf6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

kaede

Picked up a used 15' with 15xx km. Been riding as much as possible (for commute and going to the gym etc.). Put on around 600-700km and already got my first problem... Nothing major but annoying nonetheless.

I realize that the kickstand bolt must be loose because there is starting to be some play when i put the bike down and or when its hanging when its up. Upon inspection, I found that one of the two bolts holding the kick stand unit onto the chassis is completely gone and the other one is half way out already. The worst part? it is almost impossible to get my hands in there to tighten it up and to replace the bolt because the exhaust canister is in the way. To easily access the area, i would have to remove the whole footrest unit which has two bolts going into the chassis and one nut on the swingarm. The Nut on the swing arm came out not problem at all, but one of the two bolts that goes into the chassis just won't come out!!! I am assuming that it was cross threaded originally or torqued down way too tight and it just won't twist out...

Seeing that, I replaced all the nuts and bolts that i did take out, and had to mickey mouse my way underneath to attach the kick stand bolts the hard way. (squeezing my already slender hands between the exhaust canister and the bolt attachment point for the kickstand). Took me a LONG time (maybe like an hour or more) to replace the two bolts for the kick stand.

Again, nothing major, but such a PITA.

Topaz

Country flag
...People with less than 10K miles really can't say if their bike's reliable or not.

According to the Kelly Blue Book, the average mileage for a sport bike in US is around 2k miles per year, So I guess most RC390 in US have done less than 10k.

Anyways, I think mechanical problems on any vehicle with less than 10k miles should be rare. But on the RC seem to be the rule.
None of my vehicles, car or bike, have had a mechanical problem before 10k miles,

It would be interesting to see a poll from the administrators about these issues so we could see some actual numbers.
People check the forums before buying, If the number of issues are really that high, KTM US could not deny them any more, I guess.

Last edited:

Edwardp33

Country flag
8200 miles. Almost all hard riding and track days. I babied it for 600 miles and then it was back roads and track days with a pinned throttle. Nothing but fun.

blew countershaft seal at 1000 miles because dealer overfilled the oil
air box seal separated and was repaired under warranty before air box mod
blew head gasket at 6000 ish miles 4 months out of warranty. Free repair.
Bike is race cup spec with JRI shock air box mod Power Commander V, Spal Fan, high pressure radiator cap and other non engine upgrades.

love this bike. Raced 600CC Production in early 90's CBR600F2 now I love lightweight bikes. I will always have the RC and maybe an R6. When the engine goes In the RC I will swap it out and keep going.

Last edited: