Playing Catch with an Armored Truck, and NOT winning!!!

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
So, a few know some details here, but not all do. I got thwacked by an Armored Truck which had run a red light, a little bit ago. I was driving the truck, a monster F250 7.3L Diesel, at the time... and so while I certainly did not escape without injuries... had I been in the wifes Mazda, or on one of the bikes, I'm sure I'd have just been killed, instantly, on contact. My injuries are numerous, and a few are appearing as if they are going to be life long as well... however, ze "Lawyer" has be being somewhat quiet on specifics. The high level summary tho is a few busted bones, a lot of herniated discs, a crap load of soft tissue damage (unknown if surgery will be required to fix some) but.... overall, I'm ALIVE!

For Formula390 truck too the abject full brunt of the impact. He went through the red light at 60mph, and on contact tossed my truck, myself, and my cargo through the intersection and into a metal lightpole a good 4 lanes away. EMTs were on the scene FAST, and Fire had the cab popped open with the hydraulic extractors (aka Jaws of life) fast too! Apparently, they had me triage'd, in the CV collar, placed on the backboard, loaded onto the stretcher, and in the ambulance rolling for the trauma center in less that 4 minutes TOTAL from the initial impact! The driver of the Armored Truck, a young 20-something kid driving the Armored Truck, doesn't have a Class B (or C) CDL, and ALSO appears to have either been texting while driving, or perhaps was driving drowsy, as one of the witnesses reported him "almost running me off the road, so I backed off, and over the next few miles he continued to swerve cross the center line, until the accident." The driver stated at the scene that his brakes "went out" which is why he didn't slow for the intersection. Witnesses all reported seeing all his tires locked up and smoke pouring off 'em. There is video footage from traffic camera in the intersection, as well as the outside and inside of the Armored Truck. Fault in the accident is 100% the Armored Truck. It's been almost a month, and the company has YET to provide my lawyer with their insurance company contact info. In fact, even in the police report when the officer spoke with the manager about the accident and requested the insurance information, the manager just hung up on him. Stuff like that makes my lawyer giggle like a schoolgirl with a new plushie stuffed toy!!!! Having spent 9+ hours in the cervical collar and on the backboard, sucked!!! I do have to say tho, that the Austin Fire Department and EMT's did a SHOCKINGLY fast, professional, and really well organized scene and team effort with my triage, extraction, and transport to the trauma center. Once I'm walking about a bit easier again, I'll be swinging by to express my gratitude to be sure!!!

Anyway, I'm still doing the whole routine of scans, tests, and initial treatments. I'm probably looking at some lifetime injury points, some debilitating problems that'll likely take years to heal, if the do, and some which will hopefully be healed up enough to no longer be causing anywhere NEAR as much pain.

The take away of this has been, for the last several weeks, my R&D work has DRAMATICALLY reduced. I got the two new products of a) the steering damper and b) the camera/phone/lap timer/whateva RAM mount.

I'm still trying to do R&D, but it is, at best, damned difficult to impossible. I can't lift my left arm over just below my shoulder height due to shoulder and clavicle injuries, I can't bend, or lay down, or crawl around on, near, or under the bike due to herniated disks and the many (still) broken ribs. I'm also taking some reasonably decently sized dosages of morphine, Vicodin, Tramadol, muscle relaxes, nerve pain meds, and sleeping pills to have ANY chance of sleeping more than 3 hours a day. You'd think with THAT much narcotics onboard, staying AWAKE would be the big issue. yeah wel, that's possibly very well the case, but only when it doesn't hurt to move, lay down, stand, breath, cough.... or heaven help me. SNEEZE! Holy ***** ******* ***************!!!!!!!1

...but... I AM ever so slowly making gradual gains towards returning to life as I knew it, and am still getting orders packed and shipped out! I mailed off another 5 orders in the last week.

boom-1.jpg boom-3.jpg boom-2.jpg

The bright light for me today is, that over the last three weeks I've been searching for another truck. Well, I'm thrilled to say that a New Formula390 Truck has FINALLY been found and was acquired today!
New_Truck.jpg
It's another F250 with the 7.3L Turbo Diesel and Long Bed. This ones a 4x4, vs the last one being a 2x, and the Boss / Accountant / Wifey insisted "If you're gong to buy another one of those ******** Massive Trucks, at least get an automatic this time so I can drive it easier!!!" so, no more stick. I'll be picking up some vinyl to throw on the Laser Cutter and fabricate up 2 or 3 copies of the Formula390 logo to put on the truck... but no, before anyone asks... it WON'T be being painted KTM Orange. LOL

Anyway, all that is a good part of the reason why I have not been quite as active on the forum of late. I -=AM=- still getting orders packed and shipped. That's my TOP priority each day (besides more doctors appointments) and so far at least, I've managed to not had any delayed shipments because of it all. I have had to rely on a few key folks to help me, not just for Formula390 stuff... but life in general. It's the sort you are glad to have around when you are bright as a moss covered rotten log from all the narcotics, and am holding 2 packing slips for orders that need to go out... and you can't even figure out how to work the tape dispenser at the time!!! I am pretty glad I had the foresight to train a few folks on doing order fulfillment many months prior to the THWACK moment tho!!!

A1VW2NV

Country flag
Saw your post on FB just after you were in the accident. After seeing the pics of the two rigs I'll say this, you are a very fortunate person! Sorry about your injuries.I admire your tenacity to continue running a business, all things considered.
Here's to a successful and speedy recovery...

ray

Oh man! Hope to see you back on your feet soon. The crash looks bad and glad you came out breathing!

Flippn

Country flag
Photos of the damaged truck really put things into perspective Matt. Glad you came away relatively ok despite that horrible accident.

Thanks again for accommodating my visit and especially your contribution to the RC390 community.

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
At least the new Formula390 truck has airbags now. Not that it would have done any good in the broadside, but

b96081b56b9cf069ffa2d1d477c70a13.jpg

7.3L Turbo Diesel 4x4... because NO hot chick has EVER said "Oooh, I just LOVE your prius!" ;)

Diploman

Glad to hear that you are rehabbing well, Matt, after such a horrendous accident! You are fortunate that the outcome was not worse. I admire your tenacity for keeping the business functioning in such difficult circumstances.

I will soon have a new-to-me R6 shock on my Duke, thanks to your great work in developing this mod. Many thanks!

Get well soon, man.

Hekimpd

Matt heal up brother. I've watched this forum for some time before I became active in posting. You're a valuable asset to the community. Btw, I was also an unfortunate one having to be placed on a backboard and neck brace. Wonderfully uncomfortable.

msquared

Matt, glad you are alive, in good spirits, and seem to have a great support crew. Keep up the healing.

Also that is a sick truck man.

-Matt

OldVet

Dang Matt so sorry to hear this. On the up side you are alive and hopefully on the mend to a full recovery, hang in there.

Oh and I love the JRi shock I got from you :)

sturge

Get well soon dude...tough luck but good fortune you were in the MANLY Ford!

I like your attitude! Sounds like you have a great support group to help you through. Enjoy the meds and attention while it lasts...you will be back to the rat-race before you know it!
Lack of accountability by the driver is upsetting... for every good guy there's at least one scum bag out there lurking.

AirRsq

Wow! Best wishes for a speedy and successful recovery. Nice 7.3L. Those sure are premium finds.

hydroz1

Holy Crap!

I just read this thread.

Matt, I'm glad you are at least doing well after your accident. I'm sorry for what happened and I hope you heal fast.

Take care and thanks for all you do.

Vince