RC390 turned "cafe racer"

oneupmotogarage

Working on an RC390 for a client and thought I'd throw up a few progress shots incase anyone was interested. This started as a like-new bike 2 months ago, stripped it down and made a new subframe, mid pipe to a Lossa Engineering muffler, modified an old Honda gas tank, made a faceplate/ headlight and front fender. Used a Duke upper triple and traditional clip on bars. It has the PCV + WBC2 setup for tuning. I had to run an external fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator since the stock tank was entirely removed. Shorai battery and all electrical is hidden under the tank in a different layout. These pics were taken after the test run and now it will get torn down for paint and powder coating, new tires and some Driven rear sets.

I'll pop up some pics of the finished product once its back together.

IMG_2093.jpg IMG_2094.jpg IMG_2095.jpg IMG_2039.jpg

Seth

Country flag
The angle of the pictures are bizarre and hard to grasp. Please take either landscape or portrait when showcasing your AWESOME PROJECT!!!

CDN Duke

Country flag
looking forward to post powder coat pics. The orange wheels and frame throw it off currently. What color(s) are in the works? Is the headlight behind the screen?

Last edited:

Diploman

What's the capacity of the new tank? Building a new tank is a obvious opportunity to remedy one of the shortcomings of the 390 variants - insufficient range because of tiny tanks. The new tank looks like it could hold 20 liters or more - I think it would hardly be worth the trouble if it doesn't increase capacity and range significantly.

oneupmotogarage

Interesting. Going with that as the objective, why not start with a Duke?

I wasn't preferential to using either model as the base, but found a good deal on an essentially new RC locally. That pretty much determined it, plus this way my wife/ eBay parts seller has more parts to sell off it.

Last edited:

oneupmotogarage

looking forward to post powder coat pics. The orange wheels and frame throw it off currently. What color(s) are in the works? Is the headlight behind the screen?

I know, it takes a lot of imagination as is sits now. The wheels will likely be white, frame black, and tank will be a dark blue, maybe metallic, with white and KTM orange accents.

And yes, the LED headlight is behind the screen and the LED tail lights are behind the screen on the tail section too. Turn signals you can barely see the tabs for them on the rear.

oneupmotogarage

What's the capacity of the new tank? Building a new tank is a obvious opportunity to remedy one of the shortcomings of the 390 variants - insufficient range because of tiny tanks. The new tank looks like it could hold 20 liters or more - I think it would hardly be worth the trouble if it doesn't increase capacity and range significantly.

Haven't filled it all the way up to test yet but its more than 2 gallons. I don't know how much over stock it will be. The client's goal wasn't to increase fuel capacity. He is a little over 6ft tall and wanted a one-of-a-kind RC that was more comfortable for him. Those are the two focuses of this build. So it sits taller and the seat is moved back with the longer tank. I will also put gel pads in before upholstering.

oneupmotogarage

Sorry, didn't realize the pictures weren't properly oriented. Here they are the right way. Plus one close up of the mid pipe TIG welds.

IMG_2094.jpg

IMG_2095.jpg

IMG_2093.jpg

IMG_2038.jpg

oneupmotogarage

update

It's been a few months and the bike is almost ready to roll. I have to clear the tank (it looks matte because it is sanded) and then test ride and tune it.
IMG_2354.jpg

Last edited:

nhenneman

I think its a cool design and something very different than what most of us are used to seeing with our bikes. Much props to you for taking on the challenge oneup. I'm excited to see the finished bike.

Diploman

Creative and tastefully done. Looks quite nice! Understated and far more subtle than the in-your-face orange flash of the OEM presentation. What was your solution for replacing/relocating the radiator reservoir bottle?

oneupmotogarage

Creative and tastefully done. Looks quite nice! Understated and far more subtle than the in-your-face orange flash of the OEM presentation. What was your solution for replacing/relocating the radiator reservoir bottle?

thanks, the coolant res is now a stainless bottle with some TIG welded brackets bolting it in the gap between the swingarm and frame where the stock exhaust came down. You can only see it from certain angles.