Ready To Race? RC 390 (Black Cat Racing) (CCS) (LRRS)

Kuroneko3

Hi All,

Black Cat Racing is taking on the 300 class this year and I got a screaming good deal on a 2015 RC 390 to do it with.

This will be a build thread from "mostly stock" to "ready to race" to "fully race prepped" by CCS and LRRS rulebook standards. I have already started making parts as needed and will send you them if you PM me.

---
17352005_10155452805137668_6202353464760054213_n.jpg
The Bike as I bought it:
2015 RC 390 ABS
4K miles
KTM Flashed "AKRA" Map
Mivv Ghibli Exhaust
K&N Filter
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]MNNTHBX Airbox Cover[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Shorty Levers[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Unknown brand - Rearsets[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]KTM Comfort Seat[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Undertail clean up kit[/FONT]

---
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]-First things to change for "Rulebook Specs"[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Mivv Ghibli Exhaust removed (For Sale)[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Akra Cup Edition exhaust (With Cat) installed (Baffle removed)[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]MNNTHBX Airbox Cover removed (For Sale)[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Airbox Cover replaced with OEM[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]OEM Bellypan removed (For Sale)[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Tyga Bellypan installed[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]KTM Comfort Seat removed (For Sale)[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]OEM passenger seat removed (For Sale)[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Undertail clean up kit removed (For Sale)[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Tail light removed (For Sale)[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]"trunk" removed (For Sale)[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Seat latch removed (For sale)[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Tyga Race Tail fairing installed[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Headlight removed (For sale)
[/FONT]Ignition cylinder cover removed (For Sale)
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]KTM Cup Edition windscreen installed[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Evap Canister removed (For Sale)[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Front blinkers removed (For Sale)[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Lights/Horn switch removed (For sale)[/FONT]
Tyga Case Savers

---
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]-Other Modifications so far:[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]OBD2 diagnostic cable made (Selling for anyone that needs one PM me)[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Sidestand delete switch made (Now selling for anyone that needs one PM me)[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Woodcraft Clip-ons (Stock bars for sale)[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]G2 Throttle Tamer[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]EBC HH pads front[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Renthal Hard Grips[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]T-Rex Frame Sliders[/FONT]
Tyga Captive front/rear wheel spacers

---
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]-Future Modifications coming soon (Probably not before the first race weekend):[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Keyless Ignition[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Keyless Fuel Cap[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Rear shock[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Front fork internals[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]320mm front brake disk (Cup Edition)[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]ABS bypass lines[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Cup Edition "Chain Guard" toe guard[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Brake lever guard[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]PCV and QS[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Scotts Damper[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]I had an R&G exhaust slider but returned it. For $60 you get a piece of crap tbh... It popped a rivet during install and I boxed it immediately as useless. Just in case anyone is on the fence...[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Currently I am working on safety wiring the chassis and waiting on the rest of my parts to arrive. I will post some detailed posts with each step as I go along. I will also be selling ALL stock parts that I pull off. If anyone wants anything let me know. I will post a for sale thread when I get pictures of all of the parts together. [/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Check out BlackCatRacing133 on Facebook and Instagram for updates. There will be Youtube videos of on track action as well.

[/FONT]PM me if you would like any more details on specifications, class rules, or procedures. I have PDF versions of both the Owners Manual and the Part Numbers lists for both Chassis and Engine as well as the Cup Edition Package sheet.

Kuroneko3

So the bike is 99% ready for the track. Once i get to the track at the end of the month it will be getting some new tires, so at that time i will finish the safety wiring and brake pad replacement.

For now this is how it sits with my Tyga tail and bellypan, Tyga case savers, Cup Edition windscreen, Woodcraft Clipons, Sidestand delete plug installed, Akra Cup edition exhaust with "custom" bracket, G2 throttle tamer, Canister deleted, all lights are gone. and I did a fresh oil change with new strainers etc.

FYI - when drilling for safety wire, beware that the two bottom oil drain bolts are hollow. You will need to drill at an angle in order to not cut into the oil compartment. The shallower the better with the holes. Trust me...

IMG_5330.jpg IMG_5274.jpg IMG_5278.jpg
Also it will fit just fine into a 99 Dodge ram van...

I will put a video together soon to show sound/ idle/ etc.

If anyone needs a sidestand delete plug just hit me up, I have a bunch made up and ready to go. If you need any other harness plugs I will be able to make them as well, canister delete, Obd2 converter, etc.

Racing starts on the 28th!

Koala

If anyone needs a sidestand delete plug just hit me up, I have a bunch made up and ready to go. If you need any other harness plugs I will be able to make them as well, canister delete, Obd2 converter, etc.

Racing starts on the 28th![/QUOTE] So what would this convenance be setting a fellow back as i am seriously running out of time

Kuroneko3

Koala

The sidestand switches are going for $25 shipped if thats what you are looking for. I can ship one out to you tomorrow, when do you need it by?

Kuroneko3

Today is the day!! I am packing up the bike and heading to the track.

I have a few parts waiting for me when I get there.
--Woodcraft keyless ignition kit (PLUG AND PLAY) available now through Woodcraft-CFM
--Titanium predrilled Caliper bolts, Pinch bolts, and TI replacement oil filter cover bolts (Available through Mad-Scientist Moto)

I will have a full "Ready To Race" review at the end of the weekend with my findings at the track. I might do a video, it might be a text post, I may even Vlog the weekend just so that I don't have to write everything down...

LETS GO RACING!!!!!!

Rcdan

Good luck Isaac, you probably wont read this till Monday but heres hoping the rain stays away.

Kuroneko3

Happy Monday!

The bike was awesome on the track this weekend!! I will say DO NOT RACE ON STOCK SUSPENSION!! haha

Something to keep in mind, NHMS is one of the bumpiest tracks around here and will put ANY suspension to the test. I had a low-side on day one of practice, little bit of bar input on the bumpiest corner of the track. It resulted in a small amount of rash on the exhaust but the rest of the bike was almost perfect!

Formula 300 - I had to start from pit lane because i was "Late to grid" Even so I managed a 4th place with only .5 seconds off from taking a podium finish!!

Ultralight 300 - I got a GREAT start, came out behind Isaac_ (Expert rider) I am only an Amateur (; Came out of turn two lighting up the rear wheel and riding that soup shock to its limit. Went through turn 6 (The bowl) fighting with another Amateur KTM for first place!! tipped it in, got loose, noodle arms, and the bumps came, i heard a slight click and the front was gone. Forks bottomed out and washed me into the Gravel. All in all the RC390 crashes pretty well, not much damage at all. The TYGA Case savers did their job ONCE but the shifter side cover will be damaged with every low side since it sticks out so far. I will be ordering a few extra for next round JIC.

Ultralight SuperBike - I only had one race in between my crash and my next race start and my peg got bent out pretty bad so I had to forefit my last race of the weekend.

Here is a video of my start and crash in UL300: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gTBumD1sK4&ab_channel=BlackCatRacing

Video from Formula 300 4th place finish (Full Race): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMwQtW8taqs&t=25s&ab_channel=BlackCatRacing

Next round I will be racing with full suspension. I would not suggest following in my footsteps unless your track surface is super smooth and you don't weigh more than 150lbs...

Parts Review:
Woodcraft Clip Ons: These fit right under the stock triple tree, there is a small amount of clearance to adjust them with everything bolted up, other than that they are great and make the bike feel much better than the stock bars, also they are replaceable and Eric Wood is right there at the track to give me replacement parts when I "send it" They will have Rear Sets soon!

Woodcraft Keyless Ignition: i didn't actually manage to install this yet at the track, I will do an install video when I do. It should work 100% with the stock ignition/kill switch.

G2 throttle tamer: EXACTLY the same throw as the Motion Pro, Save the money get the G2

TYGA bodywork: bellypan scraped a little bit but everything was great. With GP shift setup on the shifter side i could not bolt the bellypan to the bike without interference with the shift linkage. It was solid without that mounting point, even with a crash through the gravel on that side.

EBC HH pads: not a lot of initial bite but great linear feel. I am used to the Vesrah XX pads on my R6 so this was a bit different...

Dunlop Alpha 13 tires: I used my team mates take offs from last season. They had a WHOLE season on a Ninja 300 and still have plenty of meat and grip. At $260 a set you can't really beat that! lol

I think i might be missing some thing... but if I didn't mention it then it didn't cause ANY problems!

Some new parts coming soon, I will keep you guys up to date.

PS: That sprocket that "Rocketman" Isaac_ got is SOOOOO light compared to the stock one.

Last edited:

isaac_

TYGA bodywork: bellypan scraped a little bit but everything was great. With GP shift setup on the shifter side i could not bolt the bellypan to the bike without interference with the shift linkage. It was solid without that mounting point, even with a crash through the gravel on that side.

Really? I don't have any issues. It runs a little but doesn't interfere with my shifting.

Dunlop Alpha 13 tires: I used my team mates take offs from last season. They had a WHOLE season on a Ninja 300 and still have plenty of meat and grip. At $260 a set you can't really beat that! lol

Give Pirellis a try. :)

Kuroneko3

Hmm. you DO have the TYGA rearsets also though, that might make a difference. I will have to take a closer look at yours next round.

I am going to try the Pirellis next round. Got these takeoffs for free so that I could cut down on cost, they're not bad by any means but I haven't give the P's a try yet so I am overdue. haha!