Rear Shock Options for 2020 RC 390?

nathanholritz

Country flag
Hey all, I'm in the market for an adustable rear shock, and don't want to spend $1400 on WP's option. Ohlins doesn't make one for the 2020 model, and neither JRI, Racetech nor Ktech have options listed for the 2020 model either. Any other suggestions for under $1k? Thanks in advance! :)

matadorCE

Country flag
I have the same question since the stock shock is too soft for me (I'm heavy). It's between Ohlins and K-Tech for me, is either one better than the other? Leaning towards Ohlins since I have never heard of K-Tech before but I'm open to suggestions. I'll be riding mostly street with some track days here and there.

Andy

Country flag
I've fitted a Nitron, I know some on here were critical of the design, i've found it's a really good bit of kit. Shows how bad the front forks are, need to get them sorted!

matadorCE

Country flag
Are separate adjustments for low and high speed compression and rebound not a thing in motorcycle shocks? I noticed most of the shocks only have one adjustment each for both compression and rebound.

Sisco

Country flag
You can get Low and High speed Comp with Nitron R3 or YSS
I got the YSS and the setup is really good because the external reservoir is not attached to hose and doesn't get in the way. It is fitted upside down (foam bumper at the top)

this one also have hydraulic preload damping which make setting sag super easy.

1602628399726.png

Sisco

Country flag
Also stay away from K-Tech Razor rear shock, the piston size is too small almost like a shock for scooters

Nitron R2 and R3 and YSS have 45mm pistons size which is largest you can get for the RC I think,
also worth noting Nitron R1 piston (street version) is a bit smaller than R2 and R3 even though it doesn't say that in their website or catalogue

1602628815099.png

matadorCE

Country flag
Also stay away from K-Tech Razor rear shock, the piston size is too small almost like a shock for scooters

Nitron R2 and R3 and YSS have 45mm pistons size which is largest you can get for the RC I think,
also worth noting Nitron R1 piston (street version) is a bit smaller than R2 and R3 even though it doesn't say that in their website or catalogue

View attachment 6561

The Ohlins KT303 has a 46mm piston diameter, but is that a big enough deal to write off the K-Tech? And what model of YSS shock is the one you posted? I tried looking it up on the YSS USA site but seems like it was designed to run on Netscape; the application list only has KTM shocks for dirtbikes.

Sisco

Country flag
The Ohlins KT303 has a 46mm piston diameter, but is that a big enough deal to write off the K-Tech? And what model of YSS shock is the one you posted? I tried looking it up on the YSS USA site but seems like it was designed to run on Netscape; the application list only has KTM shocks for dirtbikes.

Sorry correction the Difference between Nitron R1 and R2 is the Shaft/Rod size and the piston is 40mm on all of them.

K-Tech is a very small 35MM piston and looks like Ohlins is indeed slightly bigger than YSS at 46mm

The K-Tech is 14-35MM piston
Nitron R1 is 14-40MM
Nitron R2-R3 is 16-40MM
YSS is 16-45MM
Ohlins is (probably 16?) -46MM

matadorCE

Country flag
Sorry correction the Difference between Nitron R1 and R2 is the Shaft/Rod size and the piston is 40mm on all of them.

K-Tech is a very small 35MM piston and looks like Ohlins is indeed slightly bigger than YSS at 46mm

The K-Tech is 14-35MM piston
Nitron R1 is 14-40MM
Nitron R2-R3 is 16-40MM
YSS is 16-45MM
Ohlins is (probably 16?) -46MM

Great info, thanks for the reply. I'm now leaning towards Ohlins instead since I don't want to struggle with getting the shock serviced or if i need spares. I'm sire the YSS and nitro are nice pieces but more than i want to spend considering i want to do the forks later on.

Did anything change from 2018 to 2019 with the exhaust or suspension?

matadorCE

Country flag
Thanks for the clarification, that's what I thought from looking at the parts fiche. I don't know why Ohlins only lists the shock up to '18, and I've seen other parts listed this way (some only up to '17, others only up to '18). Weird.

matadorCE

Country flag
Just fitted the Ohlins shock on my 2020 RC and it fits just fine, so no idea why Ohlins doesn't list it for '19-'20 bikes nor are they willing to confirm fitment. The one thing that was a royal PITA was the canister bracket; maybe that's why it says it doesn't fit? I was able to get to install the canister per the instructions but it took some ingenuity and out-of-the box thinking to tighten the bracket bolts; It's a really dumb design on an otherwise great product. Apart from that, no problem with clearance or fitment of the shock itself.

Sisco

Country flag
Just fitted the Ohlins shock on my 2020 RC and it fits just fine, so no idea why Ohlins doesn't list it for '19-'20 bikes nor are they willing to confirm fitment. The one thing that was a royal PITA was the canister bracket; maybe that's why it says it doesn't fit? I was able to get to install the canister per the instructions but it took some ingenuity and out-of-the box thinking to tighten the bracket bolts; It's a really dumb design on an otherwise great product. Apart from that, no problem with clearance or fitment of the shock itself.

Cool, show us a pic

canister holder with Nitron on my Vitpilen 401 didn't make sense either until I saw a picture of it installed, then it made sense

1604134449465.png

matadorCE

Country flag

I loosely installed the bracket first, moved the canister in place, then I got a T30 bit and tightened by hand using some bent nose pliers since there is no room at all for 5mm allen or anything else really. I had to keep moving the bracket so I scratched the hell out of the paint but it was a necessary evil. It's on there now sufficiently secure and nothing is touching the frame.

ReidMcT

Premium Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Country flag
I wonder if they've changed the bracket since I got mine. I had no such trouble. Two screws fix the bracket to the bike frame and one easily accessible screw tightens the band that holds the cylinder in the bracket.

Ohlins bracket.JPGOhlins bracket.JPG

Reactions: K30

matadorCE

Country flag
The bracket looks the same from your picture to the one I have, but after much trying there was no room behind the frame on mine to get any tools. Maybe they changed where they placed stuff on that side on the engine?

ReidMcT

Premium Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Country flag
I was able pretty easily to get an L-shaped allen wrench on the bracket screws. I fitted the bracket to the frame before I slid the canister into the bracket. I remember having to position the bracket very carefully in order to be able to slide in the canister, since there is precious little extra hose.

matadorCE

Country flag
I was able pretty easily to get an L-shaped allen wrench on the bracket screws. I fitted the bracket to the frame before I slid the canister into the bracket. I remember having to position the bracket very carefully in order to be able to slide in the canister, since there is precious little extra hose.

Yep same thing i did. Tried a couple of 5mm L wrenches and didn't have enough space to even get the shortest end of the wrench into the head of the screw.