Replaced ECU and wiring harness, kill switch warning stays on, and engine won't turn over.

As you may have read in a previous thread I installed a 2016 woodcraft ignition delete on my 2017 RC and burned up the ecu and wiring harness,
I purchased a used ecu and wiring harness from a wrecked bike and installed it.
I think I have everything connected correctly, but who knows, it's not something I've ever done before and I'm not a mechanic by profession.
Anyway when attempting to start the bike the dash lights up and the kill switch message is on, so obviously it won't turn over.
Does anyone know if maybe the ecu has to be set up for the key?
Any other possibilities anyone can think of?

Thanks,
Mike

ReidMcT

Premium Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Country flag
No, the key switch is just two wires; very simple, on or off.

Have you checked that the kill switch is connected and functioning correctly?

Kill switch appears to be connected correctly.
Like you said in the other post, the connections are mostly unique, so kind of hard to mess it up.
Functioning correctly is a question I can't answer.
I'm not bad at taking stuff apart and putting it back together, but testing electrics is a bit beyond my experience.
I have a general understanding of how to check continuity and if there is power, but I'm not exactly sure how I would check if the kill switch is good.
I plan to play around with the connections a bit more, then figure out how to test, or if they aren't too expensive I'll just buy a new throttle and switch set, see if that fixes things.

Thanks again,
Mike

ReidMcT

Premium Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Country flag
For the kill switch you would just test for continuity when it's set to the Run position.

I can't help much more because yours is a '17 model, and all my docs and knowledge are about the '16, which obviously differs electrically. In addition to working with the Woodcraft ignition switch eliminator, the '16 doesn't have a Kill Switch warning function on the dashboard.