seized first gear

hvlmike

Country flag
My 2017 rc390 seized the first gear bushing! Motor had 900 miles on it. Followed break in procedure. Plenty of oil in it. Not sure why it seized? Wondering if anyone else has had this issue and if there is a fix before I put it back together.

Superpacman13

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
1st gear on the the primary side is permanent, the driven side is on a bushing just to be clear. But if the driven side seized to the countershaft I haven't heard or seen anything like that before.

hvlmike

Country flag
Yah it's the driven side. It didn't actually seize to the shaft but the bushing seized to the gear. I'm thinking some kind of assembly error or oil hole alignment issue. I'll have to dig in to it further.
I didn't talk to my dealer about it because the 2 yr. warrunty expired in december. I've had the damn bike 2 yrs. but only put 900 miles on it because something is always broken on it! (I do have several other bikes to ride). The last time I brought it in for loosing water they had it for 6 weeks and couldn't find any problem with it ...so they charge me $460. for the leak down/ compression and pressure tests they did. First ride I took it on ...it lost water! I decided to fix it myself...I found the water pump seals were installed backwards and only leaked at high rpms. New seals installed correctly seems to have fixed that issue...but now this!

Attachments

• 20200528_130029 (1).jpg
    20200528_130029 (1).jpg
    781.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 20200528_130016.jpg
    20200528_130016.jpg
    266.3 KB · Views: 16

Formula390

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
^^^ what PacMan said! For one, you should be able to pretty easily be able to get the warranty coverage extended for any amount the shop had the bike. Additionally, that failure is obviously going to be caused by an assembly error and not something that "you" broke and that it would have failed with a given period of miles. It's PERFECTLY reasonable to expect that to still be covered. There are other things that have gotten coverage outside of warranty periods. Time to have The Talk(tm) with the service manager, with your sales guy standing RIGHT next to you, nodding along, with every sentence.