Need Help Stock injector vs oversize injector with powertronic piggyback ecu

musti

Country flag
woah there you just opened a new world up for me, so through the ktm Obd port I can actually access the afr measured by the stock sensors? (Provided I’m still using stock injectors and just want to try and custom tune the powertronic)
@Icehax I too got excited when I saw @1JZSupra post this.

Because of this, I purchased the Torque pro and will soon be messing with it.

@Icehax Please feel free to share your experience with this and let us know how things go.

Thank you once again @1JZSupra bro.

Icehax

Country flag
@Icehax I too got excited when I saw @1JZSupra post this.

Because of this, I purchased the Torque pro and will soon be messing with it.

@Icehax Please feel free to share your experience with this and let us know how things go.

Thank you once again @1JZSupra bro.
Heck yeah, definitely will do, just have to buy the bluetooth adapter and get testing… if I succeed I’ll finally start modding the air box as well which I haven’t been able to since I couldn’t remap the ecu…

KTMasean

Country flag
@1JZSupra

Here is the issue to be honest.

I do not know how to operate the powertronic software. I need a mentor to show me and make me familiar with the basics. I will put it my 100% after that. But I have reached a plateau where I cannot move forward as I do not know the abbreviations, terms, readings, meaning of "+1" and "-5" etc

There are not courses available online either where I can learn something.
musti,
Are you not able to get educated by someone at PowerDYNAMICS in India?
Generally, these people are very helpful.

Icehax

Country flag
I'm back on this finally, I was able to get all the parts. They're shipping right now I'll be able to share some more news soon. I'm also recording a video that I will upload on YouTube to share my experience with this project. I'm currently trying to answer one question, maybe one of you here can do that for me... if I were to get an injector double the size of the stock one, to then tune the map so it squirts the same amount of fuel as with the original one, can I just divide all the values by 2? Example: map is +5 (105%) so I then input -47.5 (100 - 105/2) is my reasoning correct?

1JZSupra

Country flag
You might find that -47.5 is going to be way too low. I would start around -32 if you have the larger injector.

daforg

Country flag
@1JZSupra
Much appreciate your valuable input.

So here is what happened.

I installed the aftermarket Gray Area Market Oversized Fuel injector and had the bike on the second map [as shown above]

So on every gear, and every rpm band, I felt a punch and power. At no times I felt incapable of pulling away.

DRAWBACK: Once I reach 150'ish kilometer an hour, on 6th gear and full open throttle, I feel that the bike does not bother to go any faster.

I'm contemplating now, whether I should remove the piggyback, and simply leave the oversized injector with open box air filter and competition werkes exhaust and see how that goes.

Your quote about "... I have a means of measuring AFR's and I've been tuning mine for a while."

I am interested to know more and how you do it. Will you be kind enough to share it with me?

Thanks a lot of your contribution.

Just a bit of feedback on the bigger injector, I have one with my setup and my tuner had to remove a lot of fuel across the entire rev range to get it within target AFRs (I'm running a Power Commander 5). My setup also has a K&N filter but the top of the airbox has been removed too, for extra flow. My exhaust is the long Tyga WSS300, which also flows a lot more than stock. The engine has also had some minor head work done. So all these factors are what led me to switch to the bigger injector. If you're running the stock header and a catless midpipe, K&N filter in the standard airbox then I'm wondering whether you'd have better results with the stock injector and working on your tuning. If you find you still can't bring your AFR down at high revs and load (i.e. the injector is maxed out) then switch to the bigger one.

1JZSupra

Country flag
Just a bit of feedback on the bigger injector, I have one with my setup and my tuner had to remove a lot of fuel across the entire rev range to get it within target AFRs (I'm running a Power Commander 5). My setup also has a K&N filter but the top of the airbox has been removed too, for extra flow. My exhaust is the long Tyga WSS300, which also flows a lot more than stock. The engine has also had some minor head work done. So all these factors are what led me to switch to the bigger injector. If you're running the stock header and a catless midpipe, K&N filter in the standard airbox then I'm wondering whether you'd have better results with the stock injector and working on your tuning. If you find you still can't bring your AFR down at high revs and load (i.e. the injector is maxed out) then switch to the bigger one.

My results mirror yours with basically the same setup in the past. I found that I was not able to get down to what I wanted for AFR's at high RPM / high load due to maxing out the old injector.

Icehax

Country flag
i have almost the same setup as yours, just stock header (nobody seems to be making one for 2017+ models :( ) and different brand exhaust and filter. i'm running a powertronic as the ecu and i also have the fuelx pro to edit the closed loop fueling. i too had some head work done (ti retainers and high comp head gasket) and before i mount the oversized injector i will also get the airbox lid open. the package is currently in transit from los angeles to my home in italy... i'll share my findings once i get everything installed and mount the engine back on the bike, probably by the end of february when the temperatures start to get in the range for a motorcycle ride lol. i'll be using an AEM x series UEGO wideband gauge to tune everything... what would you guys say the optimal afr for this bike is? i've read it likes to be about 13-13.3 on the whole rpm range but a bit richer in the middle...

Icehax

Country flag
My results mirror yours with basically the same setup in the past. I found that I was not able to get down to what I wanted for AFR's at high RPM / high load due to maxing out the old injector.
Hi @1JZSupra I have a question for you! I read you are using a wideband sensor to tune your bike, and I also read that you mentioned AEM making good units, so I assume you are probably using one of theirs. I'm currently installing mine into the exhaust and I was looking for tips on the installation... are you using a tall weld in bung or a normal size one? Because with the latter it seems to me the tip of the sensor gets too far in the tube (about halfway) ... thanks!

Icehax

Country flag
right lol i am finally able to mount the aem unit on the bike and start to map it, but powertronic won't let me pull more than 25% fuel... how do i get around this? @1JZSupra

1JZSupra

Country flag
right lol i am finally able to mount the aem unit on the bike and start to map it, but powertronic won't let me pull more than 25% fuel... how do i get around this? @1JZSupra
I'm not 100% sure as I don't have that unit. Someone with a powertronic unit might have to chip in.

Icehax

Country flag
I'm not 100% sure as I don't have that unit. Someone with a powertronic unit might have to chip in.
No need, i figured it out. For anyone wondering in the config tab there's an option called fuel multiplier and it multiplies the whole fuel table by that number. Eg. A cell with 16 and a fuel multiplier of x2 will give you 32% more fuel than stock. Anyway i found out i really didnt need that much fuel pulled, im reading normal lambda values in most spots (still finetuning) and the most fuel im pulling is -15%.

Pierre

Country flag
Hi,
I have a 2022 RC390, with full exhaust (Dominator) PT4, FuelX pro, DNA lid airbox, K&N air filter.... And I'd like more from this engine to keep up with Kawa400 on straight lines.
I think next step is High comp head gasket? and bigger fuel injector?

I had bought a big fuel injector from Bosch that someone recommend here, but it was different. I think it was for pre 2017 models or something...

What would you recommend for a 2022 model? (Only track riding)

Thanks
Pierre

1JZSupra

Country flag
Hi,
I have a 2022 RC390, with full exhaust (Dominator) PT4, FuelX pro, DNA lid airbox, K&N air filter.... And I'd like more from this engine to keep up with Kawa400 on straight lines.
I think next step is High comp head gasket? and bigger fuel injector?

I had bought a big fuel injector from Bosch that someone recommend here, but it was different. I think it was for pre 2017 models or something...

What would you recommend for a 2022 model? (Only track riding)

Thanks
Pierre

How was it different? You might need a patch harness. one requires a patch harness to work correctly.

Pierre

Country flag
Yes different plug to connect the arness and different shape to fix the injector with the metal bracket... I had a race the same day so hadn´t had the time to look around how to fix it. I just put back the original one.
but yes still feel it lack some punch above 9000 rpm.

Pierre

Country flag
Does someone have the part number of bigger inyector for 2022-23 models?
Or there is no direct plug in version?
Thanks
Pierre