Stripped radiator bleed screw.

Tom

I'm really not sure how this even happened. I stripped the radiator's bung for the bleed screw today... Worst part? I was only using a screw driver to tighten it back when it happened...

I had to use a small ratchet wrench to loosen it while the engine was hot, then decided that in case more than just air escaped, I would use the screw driver that comes with the bike's tool kit to give my hand a little more space from the opening. So far so good, the coolant just bubbled a little bit out. Keep in mind, I had the bike tilted opposite of the kickstand, and was supporting the bike with my leg while doing this. I wasn't exactly in a position that I could apply massive torque.

I'm thinking either they stripped it at the factory before powder coating, or my job of programming routers and switches all day on a keyboard has given me Hulk strength finger muscles.

In case it really was me (using the crappy KTM screwdriver) is the radiator's aluminum really this soft? It's a '17 bike, and I know the cooling system was given a refresh on the '18-'19 bikes. Could the '19 radiator have a bit stiffer metal on the radiator bleed screw bung?

Can anyone comment on the torque specs on the radiator bleed screw?

=maz=

Country flag
Happened to me too...Silicone it up and never think about it again, plenty of radiators without bleed screws out there so just bleed it the normal way.