How far have you gone:
1) On a tank,
2) After the "Low Fuel" warning came on
3) After the display said "0" miles to empty

Nothing other than the first data point, Today:
1) 142.1
2) 22.1
3) 8..3

At that fill up, I put in 2.16 gallons. So theoretically, there was still .44 gallons left. Don't know how true that is, as there is doubtless some head space lost by filling up on the sidestand.

So, what's your experience?

Fasteddy

Country flag
I have similar results, I have done lots of math on the subject and made a lot of observations, but, just now reading your thread a question popped into my head. I wonder if the published fuel tank capacity is without the displacement of the internal fuel pump etc.?

The oil level was off by a fair amount...

At one point I ran it down as kow as I dared,not on purpose and it still only took about 2.2 gallons. Sunday I filled as full as I could, all the way while on the bike holding it upright knowing I would ride at least 30 miles, I plan on running as low as possible....

Endorphin

1) 123.2 miles
2) 33.2 miles
3) 28.8 miles

I think the tune put on the bike is killing my MPG, I'm only doing about 47.

Bike ran out of gas at 33.2 miles from low fuel, and 28.8 miles from 0 (bike hits low fuel, says 40 miles left, 10 miles later drops to 0).

We dont even use our fuel gauge as it is so out of whack and reads full then 10 mins later shows empty lol.

Once we hit 160klms we look for fuel

MotoKam

Most of my fuel consumption is done on the freeway. When there's no traffic and I can travel 80 - 90 MPH, I get about 42 MPG and travel 80 - 85 miles before the fuel light comes on. I typically go about 8 - 10 miles more to the gas station and it takes between 2 and 2.25 gallons. When traffic is heavy and I'm splitting lanes, I can go 90 - 95 miles before the fuel light comes on. On those trips, I get 55 MPG or so. I can see 60 MPG if I have a stiff tail wind. Those fill-ups are 1.8 - 1.9 gallons.

hamishl

Country flag
I usually hit the low fuel warning light at around 190-200km, and then I make sure I get fuel within about 60km on the low fuel tripmeter. I'm sure I've gone further than that (around 280-290km on a tank), but that was when I was running the bike in, and very new to motorcycling, so I was taking it very easy.

I find that when it gets to 2 bars on the main section of the fuel gauge, the low fuel warning soon follows, and having been stranded once around 65km after that, I don't risk it any more.

Treachery

Country flag
I usually hit the low fuel warning light at around 190-200km, and then I make sure I get fuel within about 60km on the low fuel tripmeter. I'm sure I've gone further than that (around 280-290km on a tank), but that was when I was running the bike in, and very new to motorcycling, so I was taking it very easy.

I find that when it gets to 2 bars on the main section of the fuel gauge, the low fuel warning soon follows, and having been stranded once around 65km after that, I don't risk it any more.

Wow, converting those distances to "old money," 280-290 km = 173-180 miles. HS! That's 69 MPG. Pretty dadgum good!

CDN Duke

Country flag
Most of my fuel consumption is done on the freeway. When there's no traffic and I can travel 80 - 90 MPH, I get about 42 MPG and travel 80 - 85 miles before the fuel light comes on. I typically go about 8 - 10 miles more to the gas station and it takes between 2 and 2.25 gallons. When traffic is heavy and I'm splitting lanes, I can go 90 - 95 miles before the fuel light comes on. On those trips, I get 55 MPG or so. I can see 60 MPG if I have a stiff tail wind. Those fill-ups are 1.8 - 1.9 gallons.

Are you on stock gearing? I've ordered a 16T front sprocket to drop the RPMs on the highway in order to get better 'cruising' economy at the higher speeds.

hamishl

Country flag
Isn't the speedo drive on the front wheel of the RC, so a change in the gearing shouldn't affect the speedo?

D

Deleted member 452

It would adjust your speedo and fuel range estimates. It's not necessary but I'd figured you might want to plug in the scalar. Looking forward to seeing what you think of the 16T sprocket. Reports from India say the 2017 Duke has a 44T rear sprocket so I've been thinking about a small gear change, too.

Thanks Brett, will have to call Dynojet to get the right scalar as I don't plan to dyno bike anytime soon. If I'm not using gear input or quick shifter, what does it get used for otherwise?

I must be doing something wrong. I fill to the brim and I get almost exactly 100 miles per tank (2gal -> 50mpg). Most of that riding is highway commuting at 70-80mph. I keep my tires at 29psi (diablo rosso II) and the bike is in good working order. I tend to fill as soon as I see the low fuel indicator, but it sounds like some of you are able to squeeze 20 miles more out after that warning comes on.

uberRC

I'm stunned how short the range is on this bike. I'm seeing all the warnings with only about 110 miles of city driving :(

asp125

I just got an RC390 last weekend. I was also surprised at the short range, but not surprised with the small tank. Fuel light came on at 107 and I think unofficially I am getting 48mpg in a mix of highway and canyon carving.