Unable to re-install filter cap

BreeziLee

Country flag
Last weekend whilst replacing the alternator, I snapped one of the bolts in the engine case, my friend who was helping me thought it would be simple to remove but due to snapping on an angle the removal drill bit we used wouldn't bite. So we tried a helicoil, after trying 3 helicoils, I can't get even 6nm of torque before the helicoil loses grip. ON the other side of the cap the bolt snapped whilst loosening. And the threads aren't gripping the new bolt, I dont want to go try another helicoil, because that isnt working on the other side.

Any ideas other than me selling it for parts? I couldn't be assed at this point to buy a new engine case and replace everything into the new case

B7ACKTHORN

Country flag
For helicoil to bite, it should have enough depth and the stuck bolt removed. Inserting a helicoil without enough depth will make sure it won't tighten well and will start to slip as you've mentioned, primarily because helicoil should be inserted drilling out the stuck bolt and original case threads damaged in the process, in which case helicoil works well.

Good luck.

Those bolts f***ing suck. Had the same thing happen a couple weeks ago on the clutch side. Half of me just wants to replace all of them with decent quality.

1. To get the bolts out, I'd use drilling as a last resort. Once the head of the bolt is gone, there shouldn't be any preload, so you can turn it with pliars if it's sticking out. If it isn't, then drilling may be your only option, but I'd try one of those stripped screw extractor tools first. If that doesn't work, you'll need to drill it out,
  2. If drilling out (to reiterate B7ackthorns point) you'll have to remove the ENTIRE bolt. You will also have to drill and tap the engine case to the thread recommended for the insert (usually a size up from the bolt you're trying to install. If you're just installing the insert into stripped threads, it won't hold.
  3. If you've already removed too much material to tap it properly, you'll likely need to go up to a twinsert (or other oversized insert). Same internal thread for the bolt, but a larger outer thread to allow re-drill, re-tap. I don't know if you'll have enough space for this, so you'll have to take a close look and make sure you won't break through the edge of your case. If it looks like an issue, you could try filling the hole completely with a structural epoxy. Then re-drill and re-tap for the original insert size. You may not be able to get full torque on this, but it may still work.

When all is said and done, I'd undertorque those bolts a little bit, since they can't seem to handle the recommended torque. Or be smart and replace them all with quality bolts. I would have done this, but I couldn't find enough at my local Lowes. Either way, the recommended torque is 12 Nm, and I'm pretty sure I went to 10.5 first, then went around again to bring them all up to 11.1 Nm and it still sealed fine. I stress every time I touch those bolts now.