What kind of sliders are needed at minimum?

eric_kurzhals

Hi folks,

What sliders are best to prevent major damage associated with a drop on the street?

There are lots of sliders from frame to fork to handlebar. Trying to avoid buying all of them, so for example could I just buy the frame sliders and what brand does everyone recommend?

regular_guy

I got the t-rex sliders and engine covers just the other day, then my bike was stolen. I've still got them in the box. If you decide you want those, I can let them go for a bit less than retail and save you a few bucks.

Here's a link to the site. I got the black ones. Just got em the other day, never installed. Still in the box.

TRex 20152016 KTM Duke RC390 Frame Sliders

Last edited:

reenmachine

Country flag
+1 on the t-rex sliders -- I have them on mine. The coverage seems good and I like the design and the way they mount. The price is great too.

Other than that I have spools on the swingarm for a stand that act as sliders and I put the MNNTHBX fork sliders on.

I feel that covers the expensive bits.

I had only 1 fall, at the moment, at low speed on track.

- The gear selection pedal has been broken,
- the brake lever bent,
- and clip on extremity worn out.
I was impressed to have no more damage.
I'm using the KTM rollers close to the front wheel and rear wheel axles

Note that wheels from skate boards would fit perfectly, and much cheaper and a way more fun that the KTM performance ones...

Frame slider is not recomended on trach, becaus it's better to have the bike to slip on the ground and limit the risk to be sent in the air while touching a side walk for example

unicorn_violence

Note that wheels from skate boards would fit perfectly, and much cheaper and a way more fun that the KTM performance ones...
Chevaliernoir that is genius! i don't know why i haven't thought of that before, but i think i might do that for next race season. it definitely opens up a lot more possibilities for a cool look.

i second the t rex sliders, as they cover a good amount of the bike were it to fall over. other than that, some fork and swing arm sliders should be enough for the street.

Grove

This question opens up a hole can of worms!

I did a ton of reading on the threshold question of whether to run frame sliders at all.

I won't rehash it in too much detail, but basically, no two crashes are alike. And it's pretty mixed as to opinion on whether to run frame sliders. Also, not all frame sliders are the same.

My own personal conclusions follow. In addition to not running them on the track, I wouldn't run them on the street. As Chevaliernoir indicated regarding getting caught on the track while sliding, consider how many things there are to get caught on on the street!

MAYBE can do more good than harm if it's, say, a parking lot drop. But again, not all frame sliders are the same.

The Ducati guys would be a good resource for trellis frames, of course, so I looked into what some of them thought on this. The belief is that the trellis frame is not as rigid laterally (vs the boxed, perimeter frame). Thus, presumably increasing the chances of a damaged KTM trellis frame if running frame sliders.

But to answer the question more directly, I just run fork and swingarm sliders, with case protectors. I've come to the conclusion that, for the most part, frame sliders are more for protecting your fairings.

While reasonable minds can definitely differ, I'm chancing damaged fairings over a damaged frame.

Last edited:

Chris The Welder

A riding buddy of mine crashed his r6 at the track and the slider punched a hole in the side of the jug. instant scrap. Plus it leaked oil on the track and cut our session short.

EnergyHOU

I've dropped my RC on two occasions at standstill and at 3-4mph. In both cases damage was as follows:
- bent clutch lever
- scratched engine case
- scratched bar end
- scratched gear lever

Everything else on the bike was absolutely perfect. Something about the angles on the bike lead to a rather graceful drop.

hummm... I just had the feeling tghis morning that one handle bar is bent following my low speed fall on track...
Maybe it's a good oportunity to go with lower clip ons

EnergyHOU

Helloo.
is your belly pan the original one?
i was thinking that this would be destroyed befor damaging the engine case
( but i.m happy to not have enough experience about it...)

Dropped clutch lever side both times, so engine case is exposed. Otherwise opposite side yes I'd figure belly pan takes a hit.