Whats your opinion on width? 140 or 150 rear tyre

Im just about up for a new rear tyre for track use

Ive been running a Bridgestone RS10 140/70 17 and at the pace Im running (fast track day, club racer) Ive found it to be very good and no issues with grip

Im now tossing up whether to go for a 150/60 or stick with the 140

From what I can gather here are the pros and cons of each

140/70 17

Pros
correct size for 4 inch rim and whole surface gets used (no chicken strips)
larger diameter giving more ground clearance and quicker stearing
more of a 'V' profile for also quicker tip and larger contact patch at lean
Lighter weight than 150?

Cons
More nervous at speed due to profile and steeper steering
potential to run off the edge of tyre at full lean? (although never a problem for me)

150/60 17

Pros
standard fitment from factory
U shaped profile for more planted feel at speed and slower predictable tip in
Never runs out of rubber at full lean
smaller diameter than 140 for slower steering and no so nervous at speed

Cons
Chicken strips always present due to unused tyre. 4.5inch rim is perfect for 150, on standard 4 inch rim the profile is slightly pinched in
Heavier than 140?
smaller dia, less ground clearance

Im leaning to towards the 140 again and go Pirelli supercorsas but would love to hear your thoughts and experiences with both. Thanks :)

Last edited:

mdabyo

Country flag
I have never ridden the 40, but run a 150 right now. I don't mind it, great tire, but i don't like the shallow profile of the150 (60). from what i am told the Perelli 140 and 160 are far superior tires than the 150. I just purchased a 160 that i plan on trying next time i am out but have yet to mount it. A lot of the local guys on R3's are running 160's and prefer them over both the 150 and 140's.

As for brand Pirelli Supercorsa all the way, they are amazing tires!

rompus

Faster turn in on the smaller tires. I changed my Ducati from a 170 to a 160. Moto gp bikes 30 years ago were running 160 or even 150 rears with 130 hp I would venture to guess most people are not riding close to the tires potential.

CDN Duke

Country flag
Another factor to consider is different profiles even within the same tire size/brand. I recently switched from OE 150 M5 to 150 M7RR. I had noticeably smaller chicken strips on the M5.

I'm going to need to replace F&R next time, thinking about switching to Bridgestone and possibly to 140 rear.

Last edited:
Interesting Mdabyo with the 160. Anyone have photos of a 160 rear fitted to there bike to view profile?
Im guessing similar profile and dia to 140 but more rubber at the edges?

Ive liked the Bridgestone rs10r as they are great value @ $350 Australian per set compared to $550 AUD for the pirellis
Ive found the rear excellent in grip, feel and life but I cant seem to get the same feeling and confidence from the front. For me its not working up enough. Its tucked on me couple of times but managed to catch it, but thats probably more rider error than tyre issues. Still it puts doubt in my mind
I like soft sticky fronts so thats why Id like to try the supercorsa sc1

Just at the bike shop and they had the new michelin power rs in stock and they were raving about it with some guy on an rgv250 dropping 2 sec per lap compared to dunlop alpha 13s
The Michelins come in at $450 AUD per set.

Ive done about 700km of track kms on the RS10R's and after the next track day (100kms) the rear will be done. The front would last out another rear if needed.

Decisions?

isaac_

Keep in mind sizes are not all comparable across manufacturers. I.e. A 140 Pirelli is not the same as a 140 Dunlop or Michelin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

streetfighter

I have never ridden the 40, but run a 150 right now. I don't mind it, great tire, but i don't like the shallow profile of the150 (60). from what i am told the Perelli 140 and 160 are far superior tires than the 150. I just purchased a 160 that i plan on trying next time i am out but have yet to mount it. A lot of the local guys on R3's are running 160's and prefer them over both the 150 and 140's.

As for brand Pirelli Supercorsa all the way, they are amazing tires!

Do you plan to use slick 160?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mdabyo

Country flag
not slick, but i have a Pirelli supercoursa 160 sitting in the trailer that will be mounted next chance i get to get out, may not been still spring though.

FNQ

Hi Fangfactor,

Did you go with the Pirelli's in the end? I'd be interested in hearing how the Bridgestones compare to the Supercorsas?

Cheers!

Hi Fangfactor,

Did you go with the Pirelli's in the end? I'd be interested in hearing how the Bridgestones compare to the Supercorsas?

Cheers!

Hi FNQ
Im just about to change out the RS10s. Got around 1000 track kms out of them after flipping the rear.
I would have loved to try the supercorsas but where I live its just too much of a hassle to get hold of them
I have a great local shop that really looks after me and he stocks Bridgestone and has offered me another set of RS10s at cost price ($260aud cheaper than the pirellis) so Im going with them again.
Ive firmed the front forks up now and that gave me a lot more feel with the front RS10 which is what i was looking for.

Bridgestone have just announced the new race R11 which will be available in the new year which come in 2 compounds soft/medium and in sizes 110 front and 140 &150 rear.
At the world launch the testers were commenting that the front felt like a slick with its grip levels but they do recommend tyrewarmers
These will be a direct competitor with the supercorsa sc1 and sc2 so as soon as they come out I want to try the front in the soft compound

Last edited: