Which year RC 390 Do I Choose?

Dyrk_lucifer

Country flag
Looking to pick up a used bike as it is gonna be my first one and plan on making it go through some abuse as a beginner looking to learn to handle his bike better.
Just curious as to which year make should I go for. The ones in my area are from the 16-18 models. Is going through the used space or getting one off the showroom the better choice?

Toddy34

Country flag
2022 bikes look like a good upgrade overall. I do wish they had at least bored the engine to give a proper 390cc though. The new wheels are 3.6kg lighter!! (not hard the early ones are like they are made from iron). This is possibly the single biggest improvement. I wonder if they will reverse fit the earlier bikes?

Topaz

Country flag
If you can understand Italian, here is test and comments, just posted today:
https://www.moto.it/prove/ktm-rc-390-2022-test-piccole-belve-crescono.html

Basically, the guy liked the bike a lot. Lighter, new chassis, adjustable suspension, ecc. He says he didn't feel much difference in the engine compared to the previous version, but he liked the chassis, and the electronics are top notch, quick shifter, traction control, ABS. I didn't hear anything about different fuel maps. Maybe they are there.

He does a road test first, and then he goes to the track with a bike that has been taken out all electronics, and better tires. He is really happy about the bike.

I like the bike a lot. I really hope the engine won't lose reliability.

Topaz

Country flag
^^
The guy claims that the prepped bike has 10hp more and 20lbs less! Akra pipe with some air box and probably fuel map. No traction control, no ABS. Stock suspension. Slick tire at the rear and a Supercorsa in the front.

He loved the bike.
He didn't like the gear shifting, neither on the streets or at the track. "Some times it would kick back, or miss a gear", he said, especially in the higher gears.
He felt the engine vibrating in high revs, but normal for a mono cylinder.

The only comment on the price is the it would be slightly higher than the current version. It should be available (in Europe) around March 2022.
I'm liking it more by the minute. LOL