Why Flash?

TVann

Country flag
As I understand it, the dealer will "flash" your RC390 ECU with an "Akra" flash, which I assume gives more fueling, assuming an akra exhaust. This flash essentially rewrites the ECU itself.

If, like me, you have a PCV, which makes adjustments to the ECU, is there any legitimate reason to first flash the ECU and then make dyno adjustments via the PCV to dial it in, or is flashing in this case an unnecessary step given you can also simple dyno tune the un-flashed map to the same specs without first flashing it?

Unless I'm missing something, it seems
1) Flash > PCV and no Dyno
2) PCV + dyno > flash and no dyno
3) PCV + dyno = Flash + PCV + Dyno

Ergo, if you're gonna PCV and dyno to create custom map, also flashing the ECU as a first step is superfluous.

Yup? Nope?

TVann

Country flag
Is there actually anyone on this forum?

I've posted three inquiries in the last few weeks. Crickets....

Emu83

Country flag
I don't have the info you need. I think you should go to the dyno with the flash as an option for the tuner. He might want to take a look. Or call them and ask. I don't have the PCV.

Daner

Country flag
Dang did you ever find out the answer to your question? I am in the same position as you and I've gridlocked myself from making any purchases until I get to the bottom of it I haven't had any luck, hoping you figured it out and can leave a comment to tie this thread up :)

Karfanatik

Country flag
Should probably talk to the dealer about this "flash" that they perform instead of a forum. I've read that its only early models and some dealers wont even know about it. A phone call doesn't take much to find out if the dealer will even perform the task.

Daner

Country flag
Should probably talk to the dealer about this "flash" that they perform instead of a forum. I've read that its only early models and some dealers wont even know about it. A phone call doesn't take much to find out if the dealer will even perform the task.
Yeah I just called my local dealer and he said that they just updated their software and that no dealership can do this anymore, the KTM rc doesn't even show up in their software anymore whatever that means so either like you said they just didn't know about it or they don't offer it anymore so I'm stuck with other options still myself