Won't rev past 7000

Zx10rpsycho

Country flag
So I picked up a used 2019 RC390, with 13 miles on it. The guy never rode it but it did look like it had been dropped. Scuffs on the bar end, pegs, and the shifter was bent a little but plastics are untouched. So I finally got it titled and plates for it after waiting to get the title from the seller. And I found out that it simply won't rev past 7000 rpm. Even when sitting in neutral it hits 7000 and dies off and will stay at about 6000-6500. It sounds okay until it gets to 7000 but then hits a wall. Any suggestions that anyone has on what they think it could be?

The other thing is the red shift light comes on when it hits the wall at 7000. From reading through as much as I could there are a few things that I am going to try before bringing it to the stealership to have them read the ECU. I figured it could be bad gas from sitting unused for a couple years. Maybe fuel filter. Faulty tipover sensor? Any other suggestions are welcome.

And because who doesn't like pictures of bikes...

Attachments

• Bikes.jpg
    Bikes.jpg
    964.1 KB · Views: 11

Zx10rpsycho

Country flag
Break-in limiter maybe?
That's kind of what I was thinking too. Is there such a thing on these bikes? Can it be removed at home or do you have to have the dealership remove it?

That's why I figured I would ask on here to see if anyone faced the same thing with a brand new one.

Karfanatik

Country flag
That's kind of what I was thinking too. Is there such a thing on these bikes? Can it be removed at home or do you have to have the dealership remove it?

That's why I figured I would ask on here to see if anyone faced the same thing with a brand new one.
Honestly I don't recall redline being 7k on mine (also 2019) during break-in and I know I laid into it a couple times after my first 300km. It did have the Rev limiter light that came on super early but after the 1000km, that cancelled itself out and I was able to adjust it

owspeed

Country flag
Do you have intake/air box work?

I had a similar situation, found the computer dongle plug under the seat, was sitting in the air box intake mouth. In higher gears would just feel strangled and hit a wall at similar RPMs as yours. Once I moved it would spin to redline again, but showed the need for more open free flowing intake. I removed the entire intake snorkel, air box lid and free flowing lid and filter. Revs vastly better!

Zx10rpsycho

Country flag
That’s exactly what it was. It was the dongle clogging up one side of the air intake and choking it off. Unfortunately I took it to the dealer because of it still being under warranty, but they didn’t cover it so wound up costing me a coupe hundred bucks. I knew I should’ve researched it further before bringing it to them.
Thanks for the reply. Hopefully it will help someone else that’s having the same problem.

Juanton49

Country flag
Hi guys, I’m very late to the thread but i didn’t want to start a new one since it’s related to this one; I have a 2020 ktm rc390 with a full werkes exhaust, a K&N air filter, and a powertronic v4, I’m having issues where the bike will rev up to redline in 1st-3rd gear but once in 4th it gets to around 7,000 and it just cuts and even with letting off and then trying again it consistently will just feel like it’s cutting fuel or lacking in air. This is an issue that was present even before the mods and before I only noticed it on the highway in 5th and 6th gear but then I wasn’t really trying to redline in 4th so it may have been an issue there as well. I will try the air box mod but would you guys have any other suggestions?

Cheers,
Ali