Akrapovič exhaust & stock belly pan

Treachery

Country flag
Question: My dealer says that KTM told him that the Akra exhaust can be installed with the stock belly pan. Can anyone confirm or dispute this? I would guess that it'd have to exit through the stock opening by removing the heat shield like others have done with the Fuel. Anybody know?

Cannot confirm with the Akra but like you say the Fuel one goes through the original hole but you get a whole new heat shield with the Fuel pipe and fits perfect

Matt

Does anyone think there'll eventually be a performance exhaust that is the same dimensions as stock so it fits right in?

Treachery

Country flag
I would hope so, but there are some adverse variables: 1) it's really cramped in there; most of the expansion volume for the system is in the vertical cylinder in front of the shock, and 2) possibly small production numbers. Hopefully the bike will be successful, and more options will appear.

I'm just impatient. :cool:

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
The instructions show trimming stock belly pan for Akra pipe. Cutting off whole end where stock exits thru. Haven't tried since all the bodywork is off and have race pan to install BUT it's supposed to work with stock pan. Similar to mods needed on RC8R when installing full Akra system with street bodywork. The instructions ALSO state that with that system rear axle must be flipped 180 AND no spools/sliders on the right hand side of swingarm for inference reasons. I used a small set of spools only that barely clear muffler at full travel.

Treachery

Country flag
Arrgh. I need to confer with the dealer. Don't want to cut the belly pan...I don't think. Any chance you can direct me/us to the instructions?

And the clearance is that close for spools? Jeebs. Well...I've used pad-style lift-stands before... I guess it saves me $20...

cjwell

Supporting Vendor
Vendor
Country flag
I tried to upload pdf file to here but it was too large.... I don't believe instructions are available to public. They are supplied with power parts though in the box.
390.jpg

Last edited:

Treachery

Country flag
I thought I'd posted this...

Ups to TZMike and cjwell for the instructions. Looks to me that the "adjustment" is cutting the aft triangle off. But...the dealer says that's one of the options, and that they believe the out-pipe can be routed out the opening after removing the triangular heat shield. We'll see.

Treachery

Country flag
Update: The grammar mavens in Austria have euphemized correctly: The belly pan does need to be (surgically) "adjusted." The out-pipe of the Akra is too big to go through the triangular opening without contact or near contact. In addition the bottom of the catcon/resonator housing is too close as well. My dealer is practicing on a damaged lower before they do mine. To their credit, it looks pretty clean. As does the exhaust itself. :cool:

Hope this is helpful.

Dannycgfy

The Akra pipe will fit through the stock belly pan when you remove the metal heat shield insert. It will burn the fairing a little bit though

mr-fabricator

I think the belly pan needs cutting mate , their is a thread somewhere reference this .

Perhaps in modified / new parts fitted thread ??

Regards lee

Treachery

Country flag
The Akra pipe will fit through the stock belly pan when you remove the metal heat shield insert. It will burn the fairing a little bit though

I think the belly pan needs cutting mate , their is a thread somewhere reference this .

Perhaps in modified / new parts fitted thread ??

Regards lee

Yeah, I don't have 'em, but there are pics somewhere of the outpipe through the cutout, and it's in contact. Here's what it looked like when it came back from the body shop my dealer sent the fairing lower to:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 145
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 164

Dannycgfy

belly pan doesn't need cutting, I literally have the akra pipe through the stock belly pan on my bike right now. it just burnt the fairing a little bit above where the pipe sits, but you can't even see it

Treachery

Country flag
YMMV, but I don't want an X-hundred degree exhaust pipe against a plastic belly pan, whether or not the melting shows.

Thanks for uploading the removal instructions. I have done each step and can't get the exhaust box to move. Is the trick doing the compression of the frame to the swing arm or is it simpler to unbolt the shock mount?

micahpearlman

Thanks for uploading the removal instructions. I have done each step and can't get the exhaust box to move. Is the trick doing the compression of the frame to the swing arm or is it simpler to unbolt the shock mount?

Remove the header pipe (you will need to unbolt the radiator to get to the bolts).

ryandalling

I didn't have to remove the header pipe... I loosened it a bit. But bouncing on the rear of the bike and it fell off. :)

jokerio

Has anyone tried to remove the DB killer (muffler tip, insert) from the Akra ?
The Akra is really very quiet and I was going to pull it out to see what it sounded like w/out it. But, it has a rounded "safety" bolt holding it in, that you can't remove (w/out drilling it out).
Has anybody else found this ?
Is this some EPA thing or maybe a way to control people from removing it for the "cup" races ?
Or, maybe Akra co. don't want you to remove it 'cause it will run like shit w/out it ???
Anybody with some first hand working knowledge of this would be very helpful, the only customer "help" phone number I could find was like in "East Crappistan"

DCMoney

Country flag
Has anyone tried to remove the DB killer (muffler tip, insert) from the Akra ?
The Akra is really very quiet and I was going to pull it out to see what it sounded like w/out it. But, it has a rounded "safety" bolt holding it in, that you can't remove (w/out drilling it out).
Has anybody else found this ?
Is this some EPA thing or maybe a way to control people from removing it for the "cup" races ?
Or, maybe Akra co. don't want you to remove it 'cause it will run like shit w/out it ???
Anybody with some first hand working knowledge of this would be very helpful, the only customer "help" phone number I could find was like in "East Crappistan"

http://www.rc390-forum.com/forum/engine-and-technical-discussion/214-removed-akro-db-killer.html?highlight=killer