Cheap/decent break in oil

A1VW2NV

Country flag
I went looking for some good oil to do my first service (early). I'm not a fanboy of the OEM oil recommendations on most toys and I didn't feel it necessary to spend extra on the good oil, that I will be flushing out soon enough anyway. With that being said, I stopped at my local Cycle Gear today and they have Castrol Act-evo 20w-50 on sale for less than $7qt. Yes it is 4T and JASO certified.I will use this for continued break-in and then switch to a full synthetic.

Treachery

Country flag
Actually the Actevo is JASO MA2... I don't know how much difference that can make. In general, for the purpose you and I are both pursuing (early "flush" change), I agree-it can't make that much difference. The Motorex spec oil is syn blend too. I went in between, and bought the "approved" Motul 3100 syn blend, with MA designation. Still saved a little.

Muckabucka

Country flag
I don't know why you would want to run "cheap" oil? Is saving 10 or 20 bucks on oil really worth it in the long run?

A1VW2NV

Country flag
I don't know why you would want to run "cheap" oil? Is saving 10 or 20 bucks on oil really worth it in the long run?

Everybody is an expert on motor oil. The debate has been going on since the inception of oil itself. It's no different than the many opinions on how to break in a motor. I prefer to use "cheap" oil after a motor build or on fresh motors. If you really think brand x (Motorex) is better than brand y (Castrol, Motul, Repsol, Etc), I've got a bridge I'll sell you. ;-)

Treachery

Country flag
^^^^^
Agree. During break-in, IMNSHO, so long as you don't thrash the pi** out of it, and you don't run Mazola or J&J, a couple hundred miles with "non-spec" oil is way unlikely to hurt anything. Considering I changed at 226 (using the Motorex), am planning to change at 400-ish (because of the rubbish I found in the filter/screens/drain pan), and the dealer will change it at 600-ish (using the Motorex)...I'll save the few bucks and spend it on cold ones.